Page 4 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 7:31 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I have a palmtop computer specifically for emulating these older systems....

Which one?

I have an Asus Eee 701, it works pretty well, but I feel like there must be something tinier out there...

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 8:26 pm

Me here very much!! !

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 11:01 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Which one?

I have an Asus Eee 701, it works pretty well, but I feel like there must be something tinier out there...

It's a GPD Win, a product that was the result of an Indiegogo campaign. It runs with an Intel Z8750 CPU and 4GB DDR3 RAM, and has an integrated gamepad which can function as an Xinput or DirectInput device, or as the mouse. It's about the same size as a Nintendo 3DS XL. I like to use it for emulation and low spec Steam games, and for those purposes it works really well. I take it to work on night shifts in my pocket and use it to play games on break. When I get home I can continue playing those games on my desktop using Steam Cloud saves and symbolic links to OneDrive. I have mine pictured below, next to my desktop mouse and keyboard.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 2:01 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
It's a GPD Win, a product that was the result of an Indiegogo campaign.

Oh yeah, I was looking at those. I would love something like that, but cheaper; I wouldn't need a lot of features like touch screen or Internet (although Steam might be tempting). And 1280x720 is an awkward resolution for older games...you could run old low-res DOS games at 3x with a little windowboxing, but SVGA type games at 640x480 would be stuck at 1x with almost half the screen empty.

But I guess that would be a really niche product, most people probably just play 3D games on it. I just get a little Aspie over things like that sometimes =|

My Asus is 800x480, you have to hack it a little to get 640x480 mode in most games to work right, but it works pretty well once you figure it out. The Intel drivers also support 800x600, but it'll be in either scroll mode (when the mouse hits the edge of the screen) or squished mode, so it's not super great, but I use it for certain applications like SoulSeek.

But I can't hold it in my hands like a DS (at least not very easily), and I'm not too keen on bringing it to work. There's a DOS emulator on the DS that works really well, and has some great looking scaling algorithms, but it seems like when there's a game I really want to play on it, it isn't supported >_< The other day it was Pool of Radiance =) And having a physical keyboard would be nice, so I don't have to poke around with a stylus and hope I don't tap the wrong key.

AranAren
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jul 2017, 11:55 am

Love retro gaming. Once I have a little more money saved, I'll be putting a Raspberry Pi into something (likely either a dead NES console case or a cartridge if I'm feeling adventurous) dedicated solely to emulation.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 12:30 am

AranAren wrote:
Love retro gaming.

Did you paint your avatar?

The Cat Ghost
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2017, 5:36 pm

Big fan of gaming and I guess getting older means that I am now a fan of "retro" gaming.. haha.

I've got every nintendo console up to the Wii (including the weird stuff like the virtual boy and the snes mini) and all the handhelds up to the DS, every sega console except for the master system, an atari 2600, and of course a bunch of the newer gen consoles (sony, ms). Most of this stuff is in my basement in a ton of plastic totes and once my son gets bigger (he is only 10 months) I REALLY look forward to dusting off my collection and taking him step by step through pretty much the entire history of console gaming.

AranAren
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Aug 2017, 9:53 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
AranAren wrote:
Love retro gaming.

Did you paint your avatar?

Yes, that's my painting (posted in the art thread too), just played with it slightly in a pic editor when cropping it for the icon.

MrBear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2017, 11:59 pm

I very much am. My retro systems are all still in working order and I will buy games from time to time. I have periodically gone on buying kicks of mostly NES games. I only wish that some titles were not so expensive.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 5:31 pm

I am defiantly into retro gaming, as I have been playing video games in my spare time since 1978. My newest system is a Wii that I have not played with yet.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 8:04 am

AranAren wrote:
Yes, that's my painting (posted in the art thread too), just played with it slightly in a pic editor when cropping it for the icon.

Oh, cool. It reminds me of something, but I can't think of what.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 12:45 pm

I have a Raspberry Pi that serves as a retro console. It's used for emulating Dos, NES, SNES and Genesis games mostly, but it can also emulate N64 and PS1.

SGDragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2017, 7:40 pm

LOVED MY SNES AND N64! Banjo Kazooie BAY-BEY. Old psx (had a goldfinger device to play japanese imports on that one,) had a saturn and a genesis, a dreamcast.. Even a gamegear and a special pikachu edition gbc...Lost em all, but oh well, maybe ill re-collecte em someday :)

But yeah..
I kinda lost some interest once games started getting like the "pretty" boys in life.

Handsome, blinding smile, nice car...picks up any gal with a wink (cept ME, PAH) but when you look past the, ahem, "LOOKS", then there usually ain't much in the coffers beyond cobwebs. Maaybe a skeleton, or two..

NOo, not saying all post-modern games are shallow and "icky" (lol), I've played many that are still good, and clever.
I've ran into enough disapointments, though, to get "gunshy". And still u just cant beat a retro game anyway, reason or not.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 8:05 am

SGDragon wrote:
Handsome, blinding smile, nice car...picks up any gal with a wink (cept ME, PAH) but when you look past the, ahem, "LOOKS", then there usually ain't much in the coffers beyond cobwebs. Maaybe a skeleton, or two..

o_O

SGDragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2017, 11:46 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
SGDragon wrote:

o_O

In other words.. Looks over substance.
Several modern games I've played lack character, and rely on over-blown graphics.
That was just my way of wording that :)

But hey, if you don't get what I'm saying, just say so, yeah? I'll explain, no prob :)
Got my share of "o_O" looks in school, ya kno \;)?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 2:02 am

SGDragon wrote:
But hey, if you don't get what I'm saying, just say so, yeah?

I understood what you meant, I think I just imagined the "cobwebs and skeletons" metaphor a little too literally @_@

...I also maybe imagined you playing CoD and saying out loud "This game is about as shallow and soulless as the girl that Billy Johnson brought to prom instead of me!" as you sprayed bullets wildly and took out your pent-up aggressions on innocent civilians :oops:

SGDragon wrote:
Got my share of "o_O" looks in school, ya kno \;)?

I bet. You seem pretty energetic.