Is eating the same things over and over an Aspie thing?

Page 6 of 8 [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 10:54 am

Yes, and I think it's ok if the diet is healthy and not killing you.
I like the comfort, conditioning, and lack of surprises with eating the same things.

nomoretears
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Mar 2015, 11:47 am

Rocket123 wrote:
Just curious - does anyone suspect they have an eating disorder? While it never occurred to me pre-diagnosis, I am starting to suspect this now.

Ive always had issues with my body. Its a double edged sword. It helps me achieve, but it can also be depressing.

I wouldnt be surprised if a few of women with anorexia were also aspies.

I do like things that are straightforward and efficient. Eating the same thing almost everyday is efficient.

Surviving Anorexia blog

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 12:47 pm

My aspie ex-boss thought it was an aspie thing.

When I mentioned that I always had grilled chicken and salad for lunch, and having the same thing every day did not bother me, she gave me a funny look, similar to the one she gave me when she asked why I did the funny thing with my hands when I was concentrating intensely on something. She kept tying to tell me she thought I was autistic but it took me years to figure it out.

Now I have a varied diet, but this has to do with my wife, not my choices. Today it's grilled chicken, ginger rice and vegetables.

It's not something I really care about, but I like foods that I know taste good, give me energy without making me fat and that I don't have to think about much. Grilled chicken and salad is perfect. Why change it?

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 12:54 pm

Adamantium wrote:
It's not something I really care about, but I like foods that I know taste good, give me energy without making me fat and that I don't have to think about much. Grilled chicken and salad is perfect. Why change it?

Figuring out what to eat is like solving a logical problem, and once you have a solution it sort of seems offensive to have to think about and solve the same problem over and over daily.
I also prefer not to think about such things.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 1:49 pm

I like to eat a variety of things (now-- I didn't always).

I do also tend to enjoy consuming the same things over and over. It is easy to do, and saves the effort of constantly coming up with something new. I enjoy the comfort of known tastes and textures. I enjoy the simplicity of choosing from a relatively limited menu (and also find that it is easier to get my kids to eat if the choices are relatively few).

I do, however, eventually get tired of consuming the same half-dozen meals over and over and over again, and then must go back to my wider repertoire and pull out a few "new old things" to wear out in rotation or resort to my shelf of cookbooks to find something truly new.

When I was a kid, I lived on the same small handful of foods for about a decade. Fortunately, meat, carbohydrates, fruits, and vegetables were all represented, if only in very limited variety. I owe my grandmother a deep debt of gratitude for all the years she spent preparing a separate dinner from the few things that I would eat; all I can say in my defense is that at least those few things were simple, cheap, and quick and easy to fix. I think cubed steak and fried chicken drumsticks were the most difficult things on a very short list. :lol:

300series
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 12:44 am

I think it is related to having Asperger's syndrome. I have always eaten the same foods over & over again. My breakfast, lunch, and dinner are usually the same every day. It is important to have a varied diet, but I am only comfortable eating foods that I know I like. I am afraid that I may get sick if I try something that I do not think I will like.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 2:40 am

I'm quite a picky eater, so I often eat the same things. For me it's a sensory thing, I find most foods to be overwhelming so I tend to stick to what I like. Regardless, I still manage to be fairly healthy.

Dunno if I'm aspie or not, but I'm certainly a picky eater.

tsurumi_aoyama
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Aug 2017, 3:36 am

During weekends, I used to eat the same Yoshinoya rice set for lunch, the same Subway sandwich with the same sauce for dinner, for whole three months.

In college, I always ask for the same omelet that the omelet guy starts to make it when he sees me entering the dining hall.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 6:41 am

As a child, I was a very picky eater. Now, I eat a variety of foods, but I do have my favorites.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 6:50 am

Could be, aspies i know are grown up and know they should eat a varying diet to get all sorts of nutrition.

But there have been times in my younger life when i have had the same meal for weeks because it was sooo tasty. Vindaloo, vindaloo, vindaloo, vindaloo, vindaloo, vindaloo, vindaloo, vindaloo, vindaloo. Then a change: Chicken achar, chicken achar, chicken achar (and so on).

When i was younger i always wanted chicken, rice with curry and every Saturday my father made it for me. If i didn't get it i would be cranky. I know that my sisters were extremely tired of eating it.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 10:20 am

Growing up, all I would ever eat were hamburgers, which was frustrating for my parents, brothers, and relatives. I later tried pizza & really liked it, so my diet improved somewhat. Two other foods I also really liked were waffles & French toast. I still eat those foods today, and I have always insisted that they be prepared the way I want them, with only the toppings & ingredients I like.

Today, I still bring exactly the same lunch to work with me every day, which is a Kellogg Special K protein milkshake, Yoplait vanilla yogurt, a piece of string cheese, and a granola bar.

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Mar 2018, 2:21 am

So weird that this topic popped up because I'm literally having the same problem

I go through phases where I experiment with food because I'm a major foodie and live for the stimulation good food gives (Yea I used to be 16 stone when I was like 10 but lost a lot of it at 15). However, I do go through phases, especially now I live with my parents, where I sometimes eat the same thing for months at a time.

I didn't even notice till my sister pointed it out when she moved back from abroad.

Anyway, I've gotten a lot lazier with cooking for the past 2 weeks and now I've lose a lot of weight because I basically eat the same thing (which has a lot of veg and cheese) every day.

Normally I try and even out this happening by buying Chinese (where I order a variety) but I promised I would buy less take away. I kind of regret that promise now.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 8:49 pm

A quick look through the thread shows a lot of "normal" addictions to industrially engineered "food." I eat almost all vegan, organic food, using variations on just a few recipes, but I have found even the spices to be valuable nutritionally, so I stopped trying to simplify, and started adding a few new ingredients. I've never been a big fan of variety, and have been deceived about ingredients in restaurants, etc, so I try to perfect a few recipes. My stomach is so unadventurous that I have a kitchen in my car.

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2018, 11:00 am

mitharatowen wrote:
I eat the same thing over and over for months. Eventually I'll get a bit tired of it and I'll switch to something else.

Repeat.

Same here. Current lunch options are either duck wrap or coronation chicken sandwich (dependant on availability at Asda) and either blueberry or strawberry granola yogurt pot with a bottle of sparkling flavoured water. This has been my routine now since just after christmas.

Eventually i will get bored and move onto something else that i'll have to have everyday.

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 12:04 pm

I almost always eat macaroni and cheese or ramen noodles for lunch and dinner. I'm very sensitive to food tastes and textures and the list of foods I can eat is very, very short. There are some other things I like, such as chicken nuggets and soft tacos, but I don't get those very often.

Legatia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Mar 2018, 12:39 pm

Yeah, some people call it samefood. I do that too, but I also like to taste new foods occasionally, and sometimes when I really like these new foods, they become a new samefood. But I have foods that have been samefoods for as long as I can remember, and those are cheese and coffee. I could live off cheese and coffee and be perfectly happy forever(but probably unhealthy lol).