Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:08 pm

I think it alleviates many of the signs of Asperger's. For one, I feel more at ease and communication feels natural. Second of all, my outward expression is on par with my inner thoughts. Often times, my inner thoughts run faster than my outward expression, sometimes causing me to jumble my words a bit.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2008, 11:10 pm

The last time I drank coffee (about 20 years ago), I was up for two days and two nights straight. I hated not being able to control my energy. I felt like the caffeine was surging through my veins.

Exile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2008, 11:14 pm

I drink 2 cups of coffee every morning.

It's a mild CNS, so it does have a stimulant effect. I enjoy it, won't be arrested for using it, its cost is quite low, and it won't rot me from the inside after years of use. Win, win, win.

8)

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:15 pm

neshamaruach wrote:
The last time I drank coffee (about 20 years ago), I was up for two days and two nights straight. I hated not being able to control my energy. I felt like the caffeine was surging through my veins.

I guess it depends on the individual. Caffeine actually gives me a strong anti-anxiety effect.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:18 pm

Exile wrote:
I drink 2 cups of coffee every morning.

It's a mild CNS, so it does have a stimulant effect. I enjoy it, won't be arrested for using it, its cost is quite low, and it won't rot me from the inside after years of use. Win, win, win.

8)

I especially love hazelnut and Irish cream :P !

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:20 pm

It had the same effect on me as a child as well. I haven't been drinking it for years but I recently started again and it brings excellent results.........

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2008, 11:26 pm

I do require caffeine to get me going in the morning, but I prefer tea. I'll have a black coffee or perhaps a cappuccino later in the day. Tea seems to 'wake me up' more, overall, whereas coffee tends to give me a sharper but more limited in duration 'buzz'. Neither effects me drastically, however, and I can ingest caffeine before bed without it affecting me.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:38 pm

Moderate amounts make it so I have a bit more pep, mild euphoria, and sharper attention span. Too much makes me nervous, sweaty, diarrheal, and even paranoid sometimes. Here we have a drug with mild amphetamine like characteristics and not only is it legal, it's not even controlled. Not that I think they should make caffeine illegal.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:41 pm

Quote:
Here we have a drug with mild amphetamine like characteristics and not only is it legal, it's not even controlled. Not that I think they should make caffeine illegal.

But this "drug" alleviates many of the symptoms of Asperger's.

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2008, 11:45 pm

I am very sensitive to caffeine. I have a single cup of half-caffeinated coffee in the morning. I dearly love it and enjoy my little coffee-making ritual. I am also totally addicted to this tiny amount of caffeine and get a wretched headache if I don't get it. I don't like tea or soft drinks, so this one cup is my single source. If I drink more I get funny heart rhythms, jumpiness, and intestinal cramps. If it has any effect on my aspieness, I am unaware of it.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:47 pm

timeisdead wrote:
Quote:
Here we have a drug with mild amphetamine like characteristics and not only is it legal, it's not even controlled. Not that I think they should make caffeine illegal.

I'm not doubting it has the potential to. I was simply trying to point out inconsistencies in the drug laws.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:54 pm

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
timeisdead wrote:
Quote:

I'm not doubting it has the potential to. I was simply trying to point out inconsistencies in the drug laws.

Although it can be pointed out that the effects of caffeine are relatively mild and usually don't negatively alter a person's judgment or behavior.

kelain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Dec 2008, 11:54 pm

Not a lot anymore. It helps me think better a bit, but that's about it.

I go through most of a pound of coffee a week at least, and have for some years. I don't get any perceptible effect anymore, even to the point where I can fall straight asleep fine after drinking a full liter of it. And no, I do *not* make weak coffee.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:55 pm

It makes me feel even more "on edge", and I don't like that. Stimulants don't do anything for my ASD, but CNS depressants help my ASD symptoms (it's easy to see how such can help sensory problems, as well as the "overwhelming" feeling).

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 12:11 am

i feel like killing a person and then a painting a room red...not with paint of course. seriously, even crazier thoughts zip through my mind and i'm a lot better sitting down looking at the ground. my twitches become more pronounced. i feel horrible. when i worked at a coffee shop i learned just how much caffeinated coffee can screw me up. i can have decaffeinated coffee and caffeinated tea.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 12:34 am

Other than leaving a bad taste in my mouth, coffee doesn't effect me, not at all.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History