Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2005, 5:11 am

What do you think of thew whole resurgance of post-punk and new wave? Mostly I think it's good to have bands like The FutureHeads, Maximo Park, Bloc Party, Franz ferdinand, and so forth.
But other things annoy more. For one groups like The Editors, Futureheads and Maximo Park all look like they should be working in an office, and Bloc Part look like rich art 'jocks' in 'quirky' t-shirts that come from Cult.
The whole anti-image thing has been done, and I think that what needs to happen is we need more quirky dressers. Sure suits are cool, but at least look stylish and not like the photocopyer boy at the office on his weekend.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2005, 6:32 am

We definitely need more outrageous fashion trailblazers in music.

GENESIS FOREVER

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2005, 7:34 am

Flowered-up! At least I think thats' that guy from it...

AreFriendsElectric
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Dec 2005, 7:41 am

:) I believe we only need one representitive from that particular genre of music. Thay all are hoaky and lack staying power. We need some really good genuine modern music. We are at an all time low.

We need good music before quirky dresses. If this is truly the age of "fashion-before-music" than we are truly dead :cry:

Relyt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Dec 2005, 3:14 pm

what exactly classifies something as "post-punk"? music that came around after punk was popular? that could be anything.

or is it just popular indie music that you're talking about?

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2005, 4:46 am

Post-Punk is a confusing label really. Some post-punk groups intially were punk or new wave groups- Joydivision, Gang Of Four and The Banshees I believe would qualify.
Often the groups are labelled as 'Art Rock', probably because they were similiar to punk groups in some respects but instead of seeing punk as a 'year zero' for music they combined other influences and produced an ecletic mix. Because unlike Punk many of the groups you could not easily put into the same genre as the sound can differ quite drastically.
Groups such as The Human League, The Fall and The Smiths all differ quite abit in their over all sound.
Unlike Punk groups there is a greater degree of diversity are often alot more complex, artistic and displayed more introspective qualities.
Really alot of supposed 'Goth' groups could be considered post-punk.

Quote:
I believe we only need one representitive from that particular genre of music. Thay all are hoaky and lack staying power. We need some really good genuine modern music. We are at an all time low.

We need good music before quirky dresses. If this is truly the age of "fashion-before-music" than we are truly dead

I think while those groups may be similiar in their sound, there still is alot more diversity in it than most genres (like emo). I was only taking the groups which I stated as a representative sample of what seems to cropping-up quite a bit.
Music and fashion since the early twentith century has pretty much became one and both are now practically unseperable. The aesthetic of a group can say much more about them than their sound.
Take Gary Numan, due to his simliarity in image to Billy Idol and David Bowie this hass lead to a large portion of his music to not be correctly considered as authentic. However if he had looked differently then perhaps he would have been taken more seriously.

Quote:
what exactly classifies something as "post-punk"? music that came around after punk was popular? that could be anything.

or is it just popular indie music that you're talking about?

I'm not just talking about the popular end of the spectrum when I say about this whole resurgance. Many groups as I stated just seem to look a little too ordinary and I don't think it's a good indicater of the music they produce.
They either look really understated- liker an office tea boy or rich art student- or over the top pseudo rock 'n' roll image (Towers Of London, The Cribs).

It just depresses me that there doesn't seem to a fun image to lot of independent group nowadays.

AreFriendsElectric

07 Dec 2005, 3:21 pm

Quote:
It just depresses me that there doesn't seem to a fun image to lot of independent group nowadays.

:arrow: I, too, am depressed because of that. I think that the fact of the matter is the groups simply are not fun.

I feel a bit misunderstood. I wanted to say the world can live without having duplicates of that sort of music. Because one band did it and was embraced doesn't mean we want everyone to do it (marketing people do, however). I wasn't trying to knock you. Gary Numan was a fashionable guy outside his music as well with his whole futuristic image. He was obsessed. He wasn't going to change for some concert or music video.

Quote:
The aesthetic of a group can say much more about them than their sound.

To some ears it will speak good (and will subsequently sell) and to some it will speak badly ("it's crap!"). The aesthetic can be manufactured or manipulated by the music scenes from which the band originates, records lables, or even discriminate choices that the band itself will make.

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2005, 6:20 am

I'm not saying I wanted Gary Numan to change- I was obssesed about him. But part of the reason he was not considered to be a serious contedener as great pop star was because he looked like Bowie clone to most.
The image is important, because most people don't look beyond the superficial.

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2005, 1:19 pm

i really like this type of music. bloc party is one of my favorite bands :)

also the suits are really hot. very classy. i dont like the grungy loose gross clothes, not for musicians anyway

just get some color in there... like ok go. the band i mean - they wear realy colorful suits and it makes me happy. yay

AreFriendsElectric

08 Dec 2005, 6:22 pm

Quote:
I'm not saying I wanted Gary Numan to change- I was obssesed about him.

Have you read his autoboigraphy Praying to the Aliens? Great book, great book! I especially fancied the aeroplane world trips. Man-o-man! Good glukkons! Intensity in ten cities to the max! MAXIMUM! Mum's the wordds!! ! GlOOOpaaaaasfinggggger!!!FOUUUUS

Your all fausts, your all fausts!! ! I am faust with all you fausts! YAY!@

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2005, 3:47 am

Of course I've read his autobiography. I wouldn't shut-up when I talked to those whose to 'Nu-Metal' about how they owe him a great deal.
Almost got me into trouble a few times though...