Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Legato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 4:50 am

I really don't want to get into this, but.....

Ayn Rand and I disagree fundamentally on her oversimplified view of social society and the meaning and practicality of altruism.

Postperson wrote:
She's antichristian, it's an antichristian philosophy, so being a christian, no, I don't give her much credence. I think she would have a big following with schizoids.

Wow at labels and lack of free thought. Good job there buddy.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 5:02 am

Legato wrote:

Ayn Rand and I disagree fundamentally on her oversimplified view of social society and the meaning and practicality of altruism.

A social society has it benefits, even for the rich. Let see any European country with a relative high unemployment rate.

Those employed are, brutally spoken, superfluous workforce, which can't be employed reasonably. If the unemployed would not be supported and at least paid in a way that they can maintain their daily ration of beer and TV they would become unrest. The crime rate would perhaps raise, they must be suppressed anyway. Putting those on social benefits keeps them for a reasonable amount of money under control: Beer drinking viewers of afternoon TV-shows do not start a revolution.

Last edited by Dussel on 23 Feb 2009, 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 3:17 pm

I don't take Rand too seriously myself, but I admire her ability to get certain types of leftists into a high lather. Anyone who gets called one of the most evil women of the 20th century by Noam Chomsky can't be all bad...

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 3:52 pm

Legato wrote:

Postperson wrote:
She's antichristian, it's an antichristian philosophy, so being a christian, no, I don't give her much credence. I think she would have a big following with schizoids.

Wow at labels and lack of free thought. Good job there buddy.

What a stupid and superfluous comment. Perhaps you are talking of yourself? Most people do.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 4:44 pm

Given that my views are opposed to ethical egoism, pure free-market economics, and the other blight Ayn Rand proposed, I would say I am not terribly favorable of the lady.

oli234
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2009, 6:36 pm

I've never actually read any of her works but I'm pretty familiar with objectivism generally and I generally object to it.

I mean they aren't actually objective, when talking about politics or morality I don't see how it's possible to be objective. And their views on art are just depressing.

SpazzDog
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2009, 8:54 pm

I'll have to say, Rand's philosophy applied to art is one of the more absurd parts based on what I've read (ie, from the Ayn Rand lexicon). I'd have to agree with her appreciation of realism and the romantic. But how she thinks she can ascertain a person's state of mind based on what art they like isn't always objective. Albeit she was living during a time when two world wars killed the Romantic Hero of the previous century and the intellectual world descended into a cynical world view about humanity, which was reflected by some of the philosophies behind the art of the era. It wasn't all like that and someone can still get something completely different from abstract art that's totally different than any sort of pessimistic philosophy the artist may of had.