You learn something new everyday: what did you learn today?

Page 62 of 63 [ 993 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63  Next

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 8:52 am

news travels fast in small communities. like some of my comrades seem to know i moved out and now live with another comrade. never ceases to amaze me.

Moonhawk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 9:15 am

That i never get bored with HP books.

Ecl713
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 10:34 am

A dragonfly has a lifespan of 24 hours.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 11:22 am

I learned that you can image the sun in the middle of the night by using neutrinos to see through the entire planet. I also learned that Saturn has hexagonal storm at it's north pole.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5x8t-4ewGo[/youtube]

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 11:43 am

I learned that an umberella can be your best friend, especially when you decided to risk not wearing a coat to school.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 8:24 am

i learned that as part of my history major i can do a course called Australia: Protest and Memory. this is too good to be true. i know something will prevent me from enrolling in this course just because of murphys law but oh my gosh it sounds brilliant. i love left wing courses. i hope my teacher is left wing. im going to go check them out.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 2:10 pm

Forming myself again from a yin perspective is like getting yanged against a brick wall.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 8:10 pm

I found lists of words that have been "banished" over the years due to them being overused, annoying or not making any sense, and one of them was "manspreading". I was thinking "manspreading, what is that?" so I
looked it up and learned it's when guys on public buses sit with their legs spread apart , taking up unnecessary space. The word is more is more commonly used in major cities , and they've even put up signs telling guys not to do it. Supposedly only men do this, never women, or so they seem to think.

Feminist was another "banished" word on Time Magazine but later they apologized for it. And I'm sorry to say I've uttered a few incredibly hateful words or phrases during conversations such as "like", or "awesome", or "conversation". I guess it's perfectly acceptable to say the F word these days, but say "like" and people will thoroughly hate you. :roll:

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 7:56 pm

I learned that ADULTS can get Muscular Dystrophy. I've only known of onset, in childhood.

FrankyViolage
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Sep 2016, 1:34 am

I've learned that we don't need to believe other people. Sometimes It is very hard to make new friends if you know that they can be liers. So I would recommend everyone to be open-eyed.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 5:23 pm

This was a while ago, but I read that the radiation from cell phones won't hurt you because it's non-ionized.

So I guess all those cell phone addict freaks getting brain tumors where they normally hold their phones is a coincidence. :roll:

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 8:54 pm

The Grumman F11 Tiger supersonic fighter was the first jet aircraft to shoot itself down. Doing just the right (wrong!) manoeuvre meant it could cross the path of shells fired from its own cannons. Thankfully, the pilot who shot himself down survived.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 11:42 pm

I learned the value of a dollar today. I'm going to slow down my spending for a year and see the effect that it has on my bank account.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 9:48 pm

There is a myth that penguins fall flat on their back whenever they look up at the sky. The myth began because of an airplane that was flying over some penguins, but they actually hate the sound planes make and will try to get away from them. I don't blame the penguins, airplanes are loud enough when they're flying about a mile above my apartment.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 4:21 am

IF 34.72% of all marriages end in divorce, that means 65.28% of marriages end in the death of one or both spouses.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 9:21 am

The actress who played the third oldest child on Eight is Enough was older than the actress who played the step-mom.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!