Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 8:30 pm

I'm looking to get good reference books for Calculus (from the basics to differential equations), Physics, and possibly Astrophysics. I've already done the classwork and independent study to understand it all, I just made the mistake of selling back my books for quick cash during my first two years of college, and I want something in which I can easily look up equations, tables, charts, and whatnot. College textbooks preferred, but if there's something else that's good, I'd like to hear it.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 8:50 pm

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

click on the class you want, find the syllabus and buy the book. Then if you want and they have it, download lecture notes and video lectures.

Wurzel
Raven
Raven

26 Dec 2008, 9:25 pm

Here's the ones I use. They are all better than the books I used at college.

“Calculus”, Spivak, Publish or Perish
“Advanced Calculus: A Differential Forms Approach”, Edwards, Birkhauser
“Multivariable Calculus with Vectors”, Rogers, Prentice Hall
“Ordinary Differential Equations”, Carrier and Pearson, Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics
“Partial Differential Equations: Theory and Technique”, Carrier and Pearson, Academic Press
“Analytical Mechanics”, Hand and Finch, Cambridge
“Electricity and Magnetism: An Introduction to the Theory of Electric and Magnetic Fields”, Jefimenko, Electret Scientific Co.
“Fundamentals of Waves and Oscillations”, Ingard, Cambridge
“Elements of Classical Thermodynamics”, Pippard, Cambridge
“Principles of Optics: Electromagnetic Theory of Propagation, Interference, and Diffraction of Light”, Born, Cambridge
“An Introduction to Quantum Theory”, Levin, Cambridge

rkr
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Dec 2008, 10:49 pm

I used "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts," J. Stewart for my Calc I course. Covers review algebra, differential and integral calculus and ends with an introduction to differential equations. As mentioned, I only used it for Calc I (Differential Calc) but it was fine. I suspect any calc text used by an established college or university will be pretty equivalent as far as the essential concepts go. The basics of the field have been around for a couple centuries - there will be many resources freely available to help with any common sticking points (e.g. on-line, public library, etc...). Beyond the textbook, invest in a good graphing calculator (technically a "computer algebra system"... TI-89 is a standard) and make friends with a math major or the folks at the tutoring center.

Best wishes!