Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AspergersGirlsSing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2008, 4:58 pm

tayne_gheel wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to web forums in general. So forgive me if I don't know the etiquette.

I'm an adult with Asperger's, but I wasn't diagnosed until a few weeks ago. I've suspected it for only a few months, but all my life I thought something was different about me. I stumbled into the world of autism spectrum disorders with my son, who is 5 years old and displayed ASD symptoms since he was an infant. He was finally diagnosed with Asperger's in July and the child psychologist who did the eval wondered aloud whether I might share a similar diagnosis after hearing the family history. After that, I read everything I could on the subject and became convinced I am also Aspie. A psychiatrist agreed.

The diagnosis makes sense out of a lot of struggles in my life. I am good at writing and generally viewed as intelligent, but I have difficulties with close interpersonal relationships. I really stink at what I now know is called "executive function." I just figured my life was disorderly because I was lazy. I'm also not too hot at making good decisions, although I do excel at impulsive ones. :wink:

I am a rapacious reader and I gather knowledge on a variety of subjects -- whatever interests me at a given moment. I can be gregarious and funny, so acquaintances often like me. But when I'm distracted, I can be withdrawn and aloof, which people interpret as rude and contemptuous. I talk too much. It wasn't until my ex-wife (we were married then) pointed out that people were bored to tears with my monologues that I noticed non-verbal cues. They still require effort for me to decipher.

I'm also a former print journalist and currently a law student on a leave of absence. And I am an unrepentant caffeine addict. Are there any Aspies in the house with a similar proclivity? Or is that just my addictive behavior?

Thanks for reading. I hope to learn more about Asperger's and contribute to the discussion here.

After reading this, I couldn't believe how much we had in common, minus age. Welcome. And I'm addicted to soda, if that counts any...

tayne_gheel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Dec 2008, 5:09 pm

Maditude wrote:
Other than the occasional cola, I could never get into another beverage with caffeine in it besides coffee.

Oh, Mad, you're really missing out. While coffee is God's perfect caffeine delivery system, science has also created exciting new caffeine sources in energy drinks. Thanks to their popularity, the U.S. has been exposed to new, even better sources of caffeine. Guarana - my favorite! :shaking2:

P.S. For some reason, I cannot spell "caffeine" right the first time. I also have trouble with "receive" and any other "e" before "i" construction. Thank goodness for spell check...

rkr
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Dec 2008, 7:32 pm

I finally tried keemun today. It was yucky. I don't like the "floral"-tasting teas. It's supposed to be "smoky" and "floral" but it was like a dark sort of oolong, i.e. "floral/perfumy." Blech. I also can't stand Earl Gray due to the bergamot. That is a shame since I really want to fully support Capt. Picard but I can't get over his devotion to Earl Gray tea. All other things equal, I still prefer Picard to Kirk.

Regardless, I'll stick with my fave three: assam, lapsang and pu-erh.

Think.
-Elwood Hyachinth
=== === === === ===

tayne_gheel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Dec 2008, 11:52 pm

rkr wrote:
That is a shame since I really want to fully support Capt. Picard but I can't get over his devotion to Earl Gray tea. All other things equal, I still prefer Picard to Kirk.

Oh god yes. Patrick Stewart can act. William Shatner, not so much...

rkr
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Dec 2008, 2:56 am

tayne_gheel wrote:
rkr wrote:
That is a shame since I really want to fully support Capt. Picard but I can't get over his devotion to Earl Gray tea. All other things equal, I still prefer Picard to Kirk.

Oh god yes. Patrick Stewart can act. William Shatner, not so much...

Ah, yes, Patrick Stewart is marvelous. His formal training shows in everything he does from comedy to drama. He was particularly amusing in "Jeffery." However William Shatner does deserve recognition for at least realizing he is his own greatest farce.

Think.
-Elwood Hyachinth
=== === === === ===

turborocker5000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2008, 8:33 am

tayne_gheel wrote:

I'm also a former print journalist and currently a law student on a leave of absence. And I am an unrepentant caffeine addict. Are there any Aspies in the house with a similar proclivity? Or is that just my addictive behavior?

wow, a law student!? :)
I'm hoping to go into law one day.. perhaps either to be a solicitor or legal academic. I applied to read law last year at uni but had to withdraw my application due to 'mental health' (this was before I got diagnosed with Asperger's).
AND you are a caffeine addict? That's a couple of things we have in common!
I am addicted to energy drinks. I have the odd coffee now and again.. but it's the energy drinks that do it :twisted:

Charlie x

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

29 Dec 2008, 10:45 am

tayne_gheel wrote:
Maditude wrote:
Caffeine is a fruit that comes from the coffee bean. It is grown and harvested like grapes, berries, and other fruits. It is the one fruit I enjoy in abundance.

Ooh, I forgot about that. Now I don't have to feel so bad about the complete lack of fruits and vegetables in my diet. I'm getting everything I need through this wonder bean. Coffee ... is there anything it can't do? :lol:

never knew

OP: ----- ooooh yes ....

doesn't even pick me up, can drink it before bed

NEVER those silly new types with strange names
as has happened with all those designer types of water, or tea

COFFEE IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE FRUITED
(anymore than it already is)

for ease sake, instant only, one brand&type only
dutch (obviously) Nescafé, Gold Brand, even decaf variety just about acceptable

LOVE the occasional proper coffee in a good restaurant or coffee house-not-shop:
large, black, lethal, and a shade of brown bitterness

ha! call me coffee negro

according to 'the classics' (ha),
the Lucky Luke comics series, GOOD coffee should be capable of floating a horseshoe

(LL: the man who shoots faster than his shadow)

may your god forgive you

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 3:51 pm

I am a coffee addict. I can drink a cup of coffee on a hot summer day.

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2009, 2:51 am

I usually drink a Pepsi or two a day, even though I gave up caffeine as one of my NYR's...

Catwoman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2009, 3:40 am

I love coffee also, particularly Dunkin Donuts. I don't drink an excessive amount, but need it with cream and sugar in the morning to function. Sometimes I will have some later in the day as well.

DaLoCo
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2009, 6:35 am

Does coffee liquer contain caffeine? I once tried to taste but eventually did not care........

BTW.there is techie website that sells caffeine soap, and a lot of other toys for people who choose to annoy others :wink:

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 7:24 am

DaLoCo wrote:
Does coffee liquer contain caffeine? I once tried to taste but eventually did not care........

BTW.there is techie website that sells caffeine soap, and a lot of other toys for people who choose to annoy others :wink:

thinkgeek.com

P-Lane
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2009, 3:47 pm

Pretty much. I wanna say I can quit but I'm not sure. But, I'll have to sometime if I want to keep my health in check when I get real old. I drink like 7-10 liters of soda pop every day, 7 days a week. 7-Eleven is like my 2nd home. I go there to fill up on Double Gulps (the biggest Big Gulps.)

tayne_gheel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jan 2009, 10:37 pm

Thanks for the tip, Shiggily. Tomorrow's my birthday, so I asked for that soap!

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 12:10 am

Happy Birthday, Tayne!

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 9:45 am

I'm attempting to get a prescription for Dexamphetamines (we don't have Adderall here) some time in the future as I've read that it helps improve some of the symptoms for people with AS.

For now I use caffeine, but fortunately I don't have withdrawal symptoms yet. I take several No-Doz pills each day in the final week before exams. I also drink coffee during the holidays when I need to get things done. The mild stimulant effect helps keep me awake and slightly more attentive to the tasks that I need to do. I can also tolerate crap to people more when I'm strung up on caffeine.