Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 8:17 pm

Since there are threads dealing with what is your favorite team and stuff. I thought it would be nice to added a thread for those who actually play the sport of Basketball, recreational and competitive.

I been playing it for sometime. I'm pretty decent at it when compared to NT's styles but very good at it in Special Olympics.(Due to my skill level, the Mason Men LIFE Team is usually bump up in divison and we still do good most of the time :lol:)

hester386
Toucan
Toucan

27 Dec 2008, 9:58 pm

I just got finished playing in a recreational basketball league for adults about a month ago actually. But that will probably be the last time I sign up for a league because neither me, or my team did very well. Especially since my team was one of the smaller teams in the league and was often forced to play as a big guy.( I'm only 5'11 and about 155 lbs) Needless to say, that didn't go very well. I actually like to think that I'm pretty good for an aspie, but not playing against guys who were about 6'5. lol

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 10:13 pm

Cool!

I can almost slam dunk literally so just need build up strength to fully do it would be great to do.

hester386
Toucan
Toucan

27 Dec 2008, 10:17 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
Cool!

I can almost slam dunk literally so just need build up strength to fully do it would be great to do.

With a running start I can graze the rim with my fingertips but I gave up hope of ever dunking a basketball several years ago. lol

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 10:26 pm

hester386 wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Cool!

With a running start I can graze the rim with my fingertips but I gave up hope of ever dunking a basketball several years ago. lol

I do that myself and I'm a few inches above the rim when I jump to do it though I haven't dunked it instead more like a light shot into the hoop basically.

gingabaker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Dec 2008, 10:12 am

i have the height to play basket but i don't play.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2008, 10:48 am

gingabaker wrote:
i have the height to play basket but i don't play.

It is a good sport to play when like to play for fun of course!

gingabaker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Dec 2008, 3:15 pm

i used to play basketball never been any good at it lol

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 3:01 pm

I'm too short to play basketball.

Rip-City
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2009, 5:44 am

I love basketball, but rarely play. I don't like waiting around for a long while to play pick-up games at the local 24hr fitness, and have not been good at getting in and working on my game otherwise.

I loves the hook shot, and hope to master the sky hook someday.

And developing a repetoire of fakes (that's where your offense takes off).

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 7:52 am

^Sweet!

I usually try to fake but I will drive to the basket more since other players do not realize I have a break away speed at times for my height.

Rip-City
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2009, 8:18 am

I'm still working on speed... mostly it's doing enough repetitions to get my body to where I'm not feeling like I have to multitask to perform a quick series of moves. I'm extra motivated because I lost a lot of weight a few years ago, and went from slower but physical prescence to just slower.

I'd love to try learning/mastering the Step-Through.

P-Lane
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jan 2009, 6:55 pm

At just 5-10, I can dunk some things on a 10 foot and tried out for my high school team once but got cut. I think the main reason I was cut though was that 90 percent of the tryouts were shooting and dribbling based and compared to the other kids, I sucked at shooting and dribbling but if it were just straight up playing, I may very well have made it. I can drive to the hoop real good for layups. One person even compared me to Ginobili for the Spurs in that regard. My defense was above average then too. I've thought about playing for a local YMCA league sometime as well.