What Do Women Mean by the Word Respect?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Airborne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2008, 1:03 am

Respect has turned into a versatile word used by someone when they are feeling insulted or weak. Old example: "Respect the Colonel's authority or he will demote you" modern "Cant you respect my thoughts?" the later is simply common decency the former however is more mandatory, you see its much different now.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 12:21 am

Respect - warning, rules change in progress. Stand by for further protocol changes.

still, it's more hopeful than 'we should start seeing other people'...which means 'you've been replaced, stop bugging me'

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 12:15 pm

Here's what it means to me, how I use it:

Respect - seeing one or more other people as individuals no better or worse than yourself, and doing your best to treat them accordingly (as you would like to be treated, or as you believe they wish to be treated based on what you know about them as individuals)

Contexts in which I often use the word - showing respect for friends, the importance of mutual respect, honesty as an expression of respect, respect for differences between you and those you care about, respect for privacy, respect for the feelings of lovers / partners, respect for points of view different from your own, showing respect for those who have benefited you in some way (parents, elders, etc.), respect for other people's accomplishments which you admire . . . .

After reading this thread, I realize my definition may be a bit different than that of most. Am I old-fashioned? Or forward-thinking? Or maybe I'm should be using a word like "consideration" instead.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 12:20 pm

Oh, my definition does appear in my dictionary:

dictionary wrote:
Respect

noun
- due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others

verb
- have due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of : "I respected his views."
- avoid harming or interfering with : "it is incumbent upon all boaters to respect the environment."

AutisticMalcontent
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2009, 7:08 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
I gave this woman a call a couple of weeks ago to see if I could see her again. She was talking a bit quickly because she it was "getting on [her] nerves" that I called her back, but she said something about respect. If I didn't respect her, I wouldn't have any interest in seeing her again. In fact, I specifically respected her qualities of independence, openness, and candor. True enough, I may have gotten a little eager about wanting to see her again, but how does this indicate a lack of respect?

Well I think you're romantically interested in a stupid, foolish woman who does not know the meaning of "manners". Manners is trying to be as pleasent and kind as possible to people, even though you may dislike or hate them deep inside. It is acting civily towards one another and to take in consideration others' feelings. In a sense, this woman is lacking in manners, and therefore in my opinion, she isn't worth the effort.

I will take one exception to her being a "stupid, foolish woman" and that is if you kept her harrasing her with conversation to the point where she grew annoyed and wanted to downgrade the relationship. However, if you've been polite and courteous, and she has enjoyed your company and has shown interest in you, than she's being stupid and silly with this complaint.

If she was annoyed, she should have stated that she wishes you to not call her so often, POLITELY. She talks of respect, but it is evident she doesn't understand the meaning of respecting, which is taking in consideration of how others might feel as well.

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2009, 8:51 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Respect:

Not begging for sex and asking for it all the time, not be mean, not put me down, not bully me, honesty, no hurtful sarcasm, following the rules, no road rage, no criminal behavior, not violent or have anger problems, respect my personal space, don't expect me to be on you every single minute, not expect me to be your schoffer, and not be dependant on others or me.

That's my definition of "respect."

When a woman mentions "respect" to you, ask her to define it.

To me that sounds like don't do anything that I don't like.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 1:45 am

Shiggily wrote:
it is a vague term that changes meaning to fit whatever the person saying it wants it to mean.

Agreed. Women use vague terms like that all the time, such as the term "nice guy" that gets brought up so often...

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 2:02 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
it is a vague term that changes meaning to fit whatever the person saying it wants it to mean.

"Respect" usually means something along the lines of "Do what I tell you" or "Advance or enhance my lifestyle or get out of my life completely!"

In other words, when some women demand respect, they're actually demanding fealty.

yes

unless she actually said "You are getting on my nerves, please respect my wishes and don't call". Then she is asking for common courtesy.

Merle

common courtesy would dictate that you would ask someone to respect your wished by not calling. Instead of simply saying, you don't respect me.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 4:20 pm

Wow. Sounds like those manipulative, controlling women do have a way of ruining things for us considerate, egalitarian, and directly honest ones.

It's sad that a nice word like respect, which I associate with friendship and compassion, has grown to have such negative connotations in some men's minds. It scares me - I should make more of an effort to choose my words carefully so that men don't get the false impression that I'm trying to control or manipulate them in some way. :(

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 4:32 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Shiggily wrote:

"Respect" usually means something along the lines of "Do what I tell you" or "Advance or enhance my lifestyle or get out of my life completely!" In other words, when some women demand respect, they're actually demanding fealty.

yes

unless she actually said "You are getting on my nerves, please respect my wishes and don't call". Then she is asking for common courtesy. Merle

"I do hereby banish thee to the realm of forgotten suitors and other scum! Away from me, knave!"

Yeah ... that maketh ... uh ... makes sense!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

02 Jan 2009, 5:30 pm

aries wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
Respect:

Not begging for sex and asking for it all the time, not be mean, not put me down, not bully me, honesty, no hurtful sarcasm, following the rules, no road rage, no criminal behavior, not violent or have anger problems, respect my personal space, don't expect me to be on you every single minute, not expect me to be your schoffer, and not be dependant on others or me.

No, I just don't want to be with someone who is going to break the law, abuse me and not care about me, use me as an object and be needy. My last two men wanted me on them like every single minute when we be together which was too much.

vint
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2009, 9:28 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
I gave this woman a call a couple of weeks ago to see if I could see her again. She was talking a bit quickly because she it was "getting on [her] nerves" that I called her back, but she said something about respect. If I didn't respect her, I wouldn't have any interest in seeing her again. In fact, I specifically respected her qualities of independence, openness, and candor. True enough, I may have gotten a little eager about wanting to see her again, but how does this indicate a lack of respect?

She was probably thinking that she made it clear she`s not into you. When you called, she assumed you were just ignoring her feelings and wishes. Yes, it is disrespectful.
Just a guess.

Quote:
If I didn't respect her, I wouldn't have any interest in seeing her again.

Well, maybe you wouldn`t, but it`s not nesessary for most men to respect a woman in order to have an interest in seeing her.

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2009, 6:14 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
aries wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
Respect:

No, I just don't want to be with someone who is going to break the law, abuse me and not care about me, use me as an object and be needy. My last two men wanted me on them like every single minute when we be together which was too much.

Yeah but what does 'following the rules' have to do with respecting you? Or them being 'dependent on others'?

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2009, 6:15 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
aries wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
Respect:

Yeah but what does 'following the rules' have to do with respecting you? Or them being 'dependent on others'? I mean if I break the speed limit does that mean I don't respect you?

03 Jan 2009, 3:10 pm

I don't want to be with a criminal. Breaking the speed limit? I am not going to make a big deal if it's five miles over the limit or three. If you were going ten miles over, I would say something so you would know because people aren't always aware how fast they are going. I have done it before and so has my parents. People going highly over the speed limit makes me nervous because it's a good way to crash and I don't want to die or get hurt and have permanent damage.
It isn't a major crime. You get ticketed for it, not something you get arrested for. If you did it all the time, then it be bad because they take your lisence away because you got so many tickets. I guess I should have been more clear. I don't want to be with killers, rapists, child molesters, gang members, meth makers, thief's, car stealers, etc.

I also know good people go to jail too but it doesn't make them real criminals. Sometimes they get set up or they weren't aware they wrote bad checks because their spouse kept spending the money or their partner, they were at the wrong place at the wrong time, they were in a fight because they were defending themselves because some punk started to beat him up so he fought back (that can happen to women too).

I had a boyfriend who used me. He wanted me to be his mother more than a girlfriend. He didn't want to work, didn't want to drive because he didn't like the gas prices so he wanted me to be his shofer (sp), he wanted people to do everything for him and me do everything for him, not do anything to help himself, I was his meal ticket. Is that showing someone respect? He even used my parents. I don't see that as showing me respect because he was taking advantage of them and then they stopped letting him. How was he taking advantage of them? Having them be his scofer. They didn't mind it at first because they thought he was studying to get his lisence but when my mother asked me if he was studying, I said no she she decided she was done with him. Then my dad decided later on he was done with him too. So I was left to take him and it was stressful. Even wanted me to take him 67 miles everyday for work and I said no way. He never got that job but he was offered it by someone. I told him to get his lisence and you know what he said? He said it was cheaper for me to take him to work than getting his own lisence. Why? Because he would rather give me money for gas than using his money to fill his car up and he doesn't have that extra money to spend because he used it on all that gas to fill up. Is that showing someone respect? At least I know it wasn't me with the problem because everybody keeps saying that is so messed up.
That is being dependant on people. So I added that to my 'No' list for guys I want. I don't want to go there again.

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2009, 3:49 pm

^Ok I think I understand where you are coming from even though you didn't answer all my questions. I asked because I am a bit of a rule breaker but I respect other people or at least try too. I have no problem breaking the law if I don't agree with it though as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, well things I won't go to prison for a long time for lol. Sorry to hear what you've been through, your ex sounds like a total arse :(