What Do Women Mean by the Word Respect?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 11:05 pm

I gave this woman a call a couple of weeks ago to see if I could see her again. She was talking a bit quickly because she it was "getting on [her] nerves" that I called her back, but she said something about respect. If I didn't respect her, I wouldn't have any interest in seeing her again. In fact, I specifically respected her qualities of independence, openness, and candor. True enough, I may have gotten a little eager about wanting to see her again, but how does this indicate a lack of respect?

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 11:13 pm

it is a vague term that changes meaning to fit whatever the person saying it wants it to mean.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 11:15 pm

I have no idea. Maybe it's just an excuse?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 11:17 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
I gave this woman a call a couple of weeks ago to see if I could see her again. She was talking a bit quickly because she it was "getting on [her] nerves" that I called her back, but she said something about respect. If I didn't respect her, I wouldn't have any interest in seeing her again. In fact, I specifically respected her qualities of independence, openness, and candor. True enough, I may have gotten a little eager about wanting to see her again, but how does this indicate a lack of respect?

she might have meant she wanted you to respect her wishes and not call. especially if she said "it's getting on my nerves that you are calling and then 'respect that I don't need you on my nerves.' When a woman talks about respect in that way, it means she wants you to respect her wishes.

being a woman, that is how I have heard other women use it, and have used it myself in that way.

Merle

27 Dec 2008, 11:27 pm

Respect:

Not begging for sex and asking for it all the time, not be mean, not put me down, not bully me, honesty, no hurtful sarcasm, following the rules, no road rage, no criminal behavior, not violent or have anger problems, respect my personal space, don't expect me to be on you every single minute, not expect me to be your schoffer, and not be dependant on others or me.

That's my definition of "respect."

When a woman mentions "respect" to you, ask her to define it.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 11:42 pm

I agree with others that she probably meant for you to respect her wishes and not bug her. Now, if she didn't specifically tell you, or didn't give you any kind of hints about not bugging her, then I don't know why she would say that.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2008, 7:56 am

It might also mean that she wishes you'd show more interest in her (i.e. by asking her how she is, what she's up to etc..) Most aspies I know are very bad at this (I used to be as well). Sometimes it's not enough to just listen, you have to appear to listen and aknowledge the other person and respect their feelings. Otherwise, it's a bit like talking to yourself (from her point of view).

(I'm guessing about the above; it's just based on my current experience.)

edit: on rereading, I'm afraid it does sound like she's not interested. Sorry.

Butterflair
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2008, 11:20 am

She sounds bitchy, I wouldn't bother with her anymore if she's already throwing "respect" around.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2008, 11:29 am

Shiggily wrote:
it is a vague term that changes meaning to fit whatever the person saying it wants it to mean.

"Respect" usually means something along the lines of "Do what I tell you" or "Advance or enhance my lifestyle or get out of my life completely!"

In other words, when some women demand respect, they're actually demanding fealty.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2008, 11:35 am

Respect means acknowledging the other person's feelings and preferences.

It does not mean submission or letting him/her "walk all over you".

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2008, 11:40 am

what, you mean you've never heard Aretha Franklin? ;)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2008, 11:48 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Respect means acknowledging the other person's feelings and preferences. It does not mean submission or letting him/her "walk all over you".

In its essential form, yes. Some women seem to take the idea beyond mere acknowledgment, and into the realm of strict obedience, however.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2008, 2:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Respect means acknowledging the other person's feelings and preferences. It does not mean submission or letting him/her "walk all over you".

In its essential form, yes. Some women seem to take the idea beyond mere acknowledgment, and into the realm of strict obedience, however.

and if it works for the couple, who is to call it wrong?

Merle

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2008, 8:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
Shiggily wrote:

"Respect" usually means something along the lines of "Do what I tell you" or "Advance or enhance my lifestyle or get out of my life completely!"

In other words, when some women demand respect, they're actually demanding fealty.

yes

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2008, 9:12 pm

Shiggily wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Shiggily wrote:

yes

unless she actually said "You are getting on my nerves, please respect my wishes and don't call". Then she is asking for common courtesy.

Merle

Airborne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2008, 1:03 am

Respect has turned into a versatile word used by someone when they are feeling insulted or weak. Old example: "Respect the Colonel's authority or he will demote you" modern "Cant you respect my thoughts?" the later is simply common decency the former however is more mandatory, you see its much different now.