Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Firegirl531
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2008, 12:54 am

I was thinking that as a way to help each other out a bit, we could post some unwritten rules we learned over the years.

Nightclubs/Bars

1) Keep the verbal interactions with the bartender short.

2) Don't order food/chips unless others in the bar order food/chips

3) If the bartender gives you a straw with your drink; drink with the straw, not out of the glass

4) Try to drink your drink of choice slowly if you are not planning on getting drunk or other people may think else-wise

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 1:33 am

All unwritten rules can be reduced to one: respect the herd's hierarchy. Do as the ones in powers want those below to do. Then grab the money and go away to do your thing. This is the only social rule I live by. If you own the street and the bar in it, you can drink without a straw and as fast as you want.

NaturalTrapist
Raven
Raven

30 Dec 2008, 2:40 am

I agree. You can whine all you like but that's the way the world works.

Firegirl531
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2008, 2:51 am

:x FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST! IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO CONTRIBUTE OTHER THAN THE TYPICAL "only the rich/NT/AS can..." BS THEN DO THOSE WHO MAY ACTUALLY BE LOOKING FOR SUPPORT A FAVOR AND BUTT OUT! !! !! :evil: :x

(working on no sleep in the last 24 hrs)

NaturalTrapist
Raven
Raven

30 Dec 2008, 2:55 am

I was agreeing with what Greentea said.
No need for that now.

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2008, 3:11 am

Thank you for posting this.

I'm not old enough to drink yet, but I can very easily see myself breaking all four of those rules.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

30 Dec 2008, 5:27 am

Firegirl531 wrote:
4) Try to drink your drink of choice slowly if you are not planning on getting drunk or other people may think else-wise
What are the consequences of other people thinking else-wise, and why should that be any deterrent from drinking at your own pace? In other words, how is it any of their gosh-dang business?

Firegirl531
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2008, 9:20 am

:shrug: I didn't make the rules, and it's certainly your choice to follow; I just posted it because the first time I went to a nightclub my cousin scolded me for breaking the above rules. But if everyone is offended by/have nothing to share then maybe I should ask a mod to delete this topic.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 1:22 pm

No, I think it's a wonderful topic. I just expressed my personal opinion, but that doesn't mean mine is the only opinion I'm interested in reading! Let the thread continue and long live this thread... :)

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

30 Dec 2008, 4:48 pm

Firegirl531 wrote:
:shrug: I didn't make the rules, and it's certainly your choice to follow; I just posted it because the first time I went to a nightclub my cousin scolded me for breaking the above rules. But if everyone is offended by/have nothing to share then maybe I should ask a mod to delete this topic.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not at all offended by what you said. I'm just saying, sometimes it pays off to play the indifferent tuff guy (or gal), like when ppl try to get you to drink more than you want.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 7:49 pm

My personal night club rules would be (in addition to your own):

1. if you're sitting/standing beside someone you know, try to make some conversation (doesn't have to be profound; 'the music's great here!' or 'I really like your shoes' is about all you can hear over the racket.

2. Smile and grin lot (since nobody can hear what you're saying, it's the only way to tell you're enjoying yourself). I'm quite bad at this to be honest.

3. If you feel yourself zoning out, head to the bathroom or order another drink (can be just water- the point is it gives you time to yourself whilst pretending to try and attract the bartender's attention).

4. Follow the crowd; if you're with friends, stay with them, even if heading to the dance floor is your worst nightmare; you'll need to keep track of them if you want to get a taxi home together!

5. It's okay not to dance with the creepy drunken guy.

--------------

1. useful questions to ask people are their job, their recent/next holiday and what music they're into/

2. It's always harmless to talk about the weather

3. If a person replies to the above questions/comments with a one word answer, they're either AS/very shy or just don't feel like talking; it's okay to leave them alone unless you really want to make conversation.

4. When listening, nod when the person makes a comment or opinion. You don't have to agree and you can voice this, but it shows you've heard what they've said.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 8:41 pm

Rule #5:
Don't dance on barstools, chairs, tables, or counter tops.

Fun fact: I like to break rule 5. :P (Yeah, I've been kicked out of a few places.)

30 Dec 2008, 9:41 pm

When a woman asks you if she is fat or do you think she is, tell her "no" even if she is fat.

Do not tell someone they have a pimple

Do not make a comment about someone's stretchmarks to their face

Do not talk about bodily functions during meals

Do not talk about sex in public (that rule has changed, it is now acceptable)

Do not tell someone they are fat

Do not tell someone they are ugly or unattractive

When someone asks for your opinion, you are to lie.

eristocrat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2008, 9:57 pm

When you find you are actually interested in a topic if conversation, change the subject. Then ask if the other person heard/saw some random thing in the day's media (steer clear of current events, religion) and SMILE.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 10:11 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
When a woman asks you if she is fat or do you think she is, tell her "no" even if she is fat.
Yes. When a woman asks you if she is fat, what she's really asking is "How much nerve do you have? and are you prepared to become my mortal enemy?"

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 7:43 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:

Do not tell someone they have a pimple

Do not make a comment about someone's stretchmarks to their face

Do not talk about bodily functions during meals

Do not talk about sex in public (that rule has changed, it is now acceptable)

Do not tell someone they are fat

Do not tell someone they are ugly or unattractive

When someone asks for your opinion, you are to lie.

I have a question are beards today now unaccepatable in today's society?