Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 9:07 pm

Anyone else love Ikea?

I outfitted my entire kitchen and dining room this week for under $600, including furniture, utensils, dishes, etc.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 9:35 pm

yes, its swedens 2nd best thing :)

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 9:50 pm

My parents never want to go there because it's always crowded. :roll:

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 10:38 pm

gramirez wrote:
My parents never want to go there because it's always crowded. :roll:

I have found the best time to go is right around lunchtime on a weekday since most people are at work.

Once 4 pm hits, the crowds arrive.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 11:40 pm

I saw the 2009 catalog, and was amazed how affordable everything was. I had always envisioned Ikea as being upscale and rather pricey.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 12:36 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I saw the 2009 catalog, and was amazed how affordable everything was. I had always envisioned Ikea as being upscale and rather pricey.

I found better prices for a better quality couch when I was shopping for one though wholesale places on craigslist. Other than that though, can't beat Ikea.

The main bummer is you have to put almost everything together yourself. But I'm willing to spend only $200 on this entire set in return for putting it together myself (got matching bar stools too):

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 2:18 am

I've only been to the one in Portland, OR once. They designed the damn thing like a labyrinth so that once you enter via a single, and therefore one-way escalator, it literally takes a minimum of half an hour to find your way out again. Best thing about it was the novelization of the movie Batman Returns in Swedish they had on one of their display bookshelves.

Mindtear
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 3:57 am

My wobbly desk gives me motion sickness sometimes.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 5:56 am

The articles at Ikea have reasonable quality for reasonable prices (at least in Europe).

I have tried similar furniture from other shops, but the quality was less. However for good quality things you need to go to a real furniture shop, but then the price skyrockets.

Furniture is sooo expensive.

The walking-flow concept of Ikea is annoying, but sometimes there are shortcuts. Most of the times I go to the department I need, write down the number and go to the storage area. Takes about half an hour.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 2:11 pm

have had things picked up by others for am from there before,but meltdown without getting further than the entrance area because of the extreme overload,it's not really a shop its more of a nightmare warehouse.
best buys were an ikea billy long coffee table-light pine? coloured,it has one long shelf underneath,have had that for years-since about twenty,and it's in perfect condition,never been used for coffee,used it for a heavy CRT tv-then changed to a flat screen tv,xbox 360,with a sky+ box and xbox underneath on the shelf,and the ikea teddies,especially the rat one,ratta or something like that,the tails even feel close to the real ones.

sister bought two white sofas from ikea when she bought her cottage,they had to put them together themselves,they're good.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 5:02 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
meltdown without getting further than the entrance area because of the extreme overload,it's not really a shop its more of a nightmare warehouse.

I agree, although I managed to get through most of the store before I started having panic attacks.

I like their furniture and their prices, but I could never go there again.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 2:25 pm

I was just about to post a thread about IKEA. I went there for the first time on Saturday.

OMG!! ! 8O

The prices are great, you can get alot of cool moderny stuff there but its EFFING HUGE!! I'm not real bad about the sensory overload thing but I was spazzing out by the time I left that place. My husband had to hold my hand and lead me through it because I was constatly getting lost and drifting off from him somewhere to look at something interesting. There were so many things to see!! 8O
On my drive home I was looking everywhere with the mentality that I had to see EVERYTHING around me. That's how I realized that I was really stressed from sensory overload and I tried to relax after that.

But.. wow..

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 3:52 pm

I wish we had an Ikea near us. I'm not too pleased with how well the bookcases hold up over time, but the drawers and other furniture have always worked out well. I wish we had one nearby. Their furniture also re-sells really well on Craigslist.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 2:35 pm

I just went yesterday and bought a pile of stuff from the JASSA collection as well as a few things from the SOMMAR collection, a couple necessary odds and ends, and some groceries. It was a good trip. I made a list using their website beforehand and stopped for lunch in their cafe. Very happy with my purchases.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 2:57 pm

Ikea is really cool. I'm saving up for a dresser from the Nordli collection. I love how Ikea has a clothes storage category. I love clothes so that really works out!

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 3:05 pm

That was one of the odds and ends things I bought there. I needed something in which to store out of season clothing items.