Parent's personality effecting the personality their child

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 10:04 am

I wondered about that; how else would it be possible if genetics did not dictate basic personality that a child that has not been living with a parent has personality traits of that parent?

That's my situation exactly and I thought it was pretty fascinating to have traits I can have never learnt.

It's just that how they play out that's not determined and influenced by environment and chance, as I know.

KevinLA wrote:
Of course we are all not exactly the same. But we share ALOT of the same characteristics.

Those same characteristics are our base personality.

KevinLA wrote:
People with AS obvsiously share a lot of characteristics:

Reserved, cerebral, anxiety, unfriendly.

I'm not like that.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 7:57 pm

MR wrote:
See, thus my telling you that you need to listen better.

No I do not see. You see what happened is;
someone (Kelvin) said AS could be called a personality type'
I responded by conceding someone could say as much but that saying it is so does not make it true and iterated my opinion that it is not a personalty type.
You called the contents of my post (not sure which contents) an argument that I knew to be BS .
Unsure what you were referring to as a BS argument I both elaborated my reason for believing AS is not a personality type and explained the hyperbolic absurdity employed in the gas station analogy (the point of which was to concede that while someone could say AS is a personality type it does not mean AS is a personality type because that X can be said does not necessitate that X is true).
KevinLA then posted definitions intended to demonstrate that there was some definition of personality that if applied would make the statement 'AS is a personality type' true.
I responded by pointing out that definition was contextually irrelevant and applying it made the statement equivalent to stating that AS is a cluster of conditions that characterize those with AS.

You responded to this by claiming that I was being too black and white and thus missing the point.
I disagree with this view. Note that at no time up to this point had I stated that I disagreed with you, that you were wrong or claimed that even you knew your argument was BS. Nor had I stated that you consider AS to be a personality type.

So if I was the one not 'hearing' you, what exactly was I not 'hearing'?

Quote:
Because, what I said was just what you said you don't disagree with.

The problem is that I did not disagree with you, you disagreed with me. I simply defended by earlier comments, elaborated on my earlier comments, and ensured that my comments addressed any potential counter-points entailed in your comments.

Quote:
I never said AS is personality.

It was only after you referred to my thinking as black and white that I presumed from your continued arguing that you continued to disagree with my view, and my view was never that AS does not influence personality and only that it is not a personality type. If someone persists in arguing against your view when your view consists of X then surely it's reasonable to infer that person is arguing not-X? It's not a matter of not hearing or black and white thinking (ironically black and white thinking would preclude the inference I drew from your behavior because TOM is a grey area), it's a matter of the most sensible inference to make when someone persists in arguing with you when you state Y is true, is that the arguer believes Y is not true.

If you do not disagree with me and my comments, then what exactly were you arguing about?
Quote:
I did say it influences personality. It's possible I'm guilty of not hearing what you were really saying, but don't think you aren't guiltly of that as well. What I quote above clearly shows me you've misunderstood me.

Misunderstanding someone is not always caused by 'not hearing'. What you say indicates to me that you mistook my views as contrary to your own, argued against them and now you've discovered they are not contrary seem to want to believe that I took up arguing against your views (because I mistook them) when actually all I did was defend my own view against your challenge to them. I did not challenge your views, you challenged mine, even though you now claim what you were stating all along is not something contrary to anything I said. I have not argued anywhere in this thread that AS cannot influence personality, but you have objected to comments arguing that it is not a personality type.
Quote:
Two additional notes. First, there's a difference between "it could be said AS is a type of personality" and "AS is a type of personality".

Further proof of the extent to which you are just not listening/heeding the point of others. The analogy about the gas station addresses this point (that in fact is the point of the gas station analogy). I specifically stated it could be said for a reason. I honestly do not need that reason described back to me.
Quote:

Also, I never said AS is a type of personality, nor that it could be described as a type of personality. That was KevinLA. I did say "AS is integral to our personalities. A definite influence.". You now have agreed with at least the 2nd half of that.

I never stated AS was not integral to personalities. You argued with my comments and I simply defended them. If what I said was not contrary to your views then what exactly were you arguing about?

Quote:
Seems to me if you'd've taken a less black and white view of KevinLA's statement that AS can be described as a type of personality, then you'd've better been able to see that we actually agree, at least partially.

It seems to me that you have no realistic notion of the course of events. I disagreed with KevinLA's comments, then you argued the point so I elaborated my views and you continued to object to them (stating they were the result of black and white thinking) the latter seeming to indicate to me that you still did not accept the only thing that I had argued at that time (that AS is not a personality type). Might I ask other than deciding you just like to argue with views you agree with, what one is supposed to conclude when you keep arguing with them, other than that you disagree? So again, please explain quite what aspect of my comments/argument you were disagreeing with at that point.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 10:49 am

I know my parents' personalities have rubbed off on me. Like if we're at a movie theater and everyone's laughing at a preview we consider extremely stupid, we're both definitely going to say how stupid everyone is for liking that kind of humor. She and I have been doing that since probably kindergarten. As for my dad, I already saw myself more mature than him when I was just seven years old. He left me to wake up one day home alone! You don't just leave a child that age home alone! He's lucky all I did was watch cartoons and eat cereal. But I was definitely scared!