Page 40 of 40 [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2022, 5:27 pm

@sozesurf

^^^ I can feel your wistfulness and disappointment on what you wish you had, but also your love and acceptance.

Have you tried giving her a script for the food and weight conversations? Think of what you would like her to say, that would help you feel supported, and then tell her that the best way to support you would be to say X. If she is ASD, she should be able to latch onto that and apply it, as long you give her something to say she will believe is truthful. Providing scripts works for our ASD kids, anyway; might be more difficult given the reverse dynamic, but it is what I would try.

FrankStein
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 May 2022, 5:54 pm

My dad and I shared a lot of traits. We had the same name, same red hair, freckles, etc. But also the same distance: a failure to show understanding, sympathy or to make an effort to become "close." My sex education was an example: "Ahh, son, you know what a rubber is, don't you?" "Ah.. yeah Dad." "Well, use 'em." End of subject.
But, deep down, I knew that he was always there for me.