Other religions aware of Judeo-Christian deity?

Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 7:12 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
No one can know with absolute certainty that there are souls and that they live on after our bodies die. How is it that YOU would know?

When I think about it, the naturalistic concept of mind (soul) and body does not seem to conflict with few religious views on the issue, from my observation, Jehova's Witnesses (if I'm not mistaken) and Avdentists believe that when you die, you are done, no spirit, no ghost wondering around and hunting houses, not going to heaven or hell either, the belief is that they don't go anywhere. I learned when I used to go to church that the dead are "sleeping" until the second comming, which then, the dead will "wake up" to be judged. As I don't know anything about jewish dogma, I can't say what are their take about death and the afterlife.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 10:22 pm

greenblue wrote:
Jehova's Witnesses (if I'm not mistaken) and Avdentists believe that when you die, you are done, no spirit, no ghost wondering around and hunting houses, not going to heaven or hell either, the belief is that they don't go anywhere. I learned when I used to go to church that the dead are "sleeping" until the second comming, which then, the dead will "wake up" to be judged. As I don't know anything about jewish dogma, I can't say what are their take about death and the afterlife.

Really? Does that belief apply to Jesus too? I thought he went to heaven after he came back from the dead.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 11:22 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
Really? Does that belief apply to Jesus too? I thought he went to heaven after he came back from the dead.

Actually yes, the belief, as I remember, is that Jesus resurrected, as a living human being, with the crucifixion marks on his hands and feet, wondering on earth for 40 days with the disciples after that, meaning that he must had lived during that time as before his death, eating, sleeping, etc. and then the ascention to heaven in that physical form, just like it was with Enoch, in that belief.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 3:00 am

so he was a zombie?

cman_yall
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2009, 3:19 am

Ragtime wrote:
I agree that no worthwhile religion ignores facts. And I submit that the religious things I believe do not, and are instead based on facts. For example, God answers my prayers. That is an observable result that has been one of the greatest evidences that has convinced me that God is real...

Well, since God doesn't answer my prayers, we're back to square one, aren't we? And we can be fairly sure that all the homeless people out there, the victims of violent crime, the deformed, the crippled, the hopeless and the dimwitted, the starving millions in various third world hellholes, the innocent victims on both sides of the Gaza conflict, they aren't having their prayers answered either.

Just out of curiosity, what's so special about you, that you get your prayers answered, and the rest of us are out of luck?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 8:14 am

Kilroy wrote:
so he was a zombie?

No.

I refuse to respect your religious beliefs until you can respect mine.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 8:17 am

slowmutant wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
so he was a zombie?

No.

I refuse to respect your religious beliefs until you can respect mine.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/zombie wrote:
Noun 1. Zombie - A dead body that has been brought back to life by a supernatural force

Was Jesus brought back by a supernatural force? If so he might qualify to be a Zombie.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 8:22 am

That is a very tacky comparison but I'm sure you'll keep using it. :roll:

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 8:25 am

Sorry, just had to post that.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 8:28 am

And you want me to respect your religion?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 8:29 am

You little punk.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 11:00 am

z0rp wrote:

Sorry, just had to post that.

That's even better then the 'Buddy Christ' action figure!

Oh and slowmutant.... have a litt le humor! And if you don't like the word zombie, we'll just say living-impaired... while it does mean the same thing.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 11:11 am

Quote:
have a litt le humor

I'll remember that.

In the mean-time, you can keep insulting me and my beliefs.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 11:15 am

slowmutant wrote:
Quote:
have a litt le humor

I'll remember that.

In the mean-time, you can keep insulting me and my beliefs.

When were we insulting you? We were just discussing how if someone rose from the dead, they can qualify to be identified as a zombie. That's all.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 11:24 am

The thing is, I don't find that funny. It's offensive to me and I think you might have a clue as to why.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 11:43 am

slowmutant wrote:
The thing is, I don't find that funny. It's offensive to me and I think you might have a clue as to why.

And you have the right to not be offended? And aside from that I posted the image for humor not to offend people who are insecure about their beliefs.