Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

themonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2009, 10:13 pm

appears normal like everyone else, normal child? Looks in the eys, have normal bodylanguage, normal voice etc.? Just have social dificulties? Maybe doesn't fit in well?

nicknickattack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jan 2009, 10:16 pm

it's unlikly your child is AS, Stop looking for the obvious,

what is your child like with light? personally I dislike light, even an LED standby light on a tv can bug me

and sound? buzzin from electronics, high pitchd noise ? coving of ears?

materials? do certain things set ur kid off?

The thing is it's a "whole of life" experiance, it's not just how u act,

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 10:34 pm

themonkey wrote:
appears normal like everyone else, normal child? Looks in the eys, have normal bodylanguage, normal voice etc.? Just have social dificulties? Maybe doesn't fit in well?

Pretty much, although she never cared much for looking people in the eyes and the other issues the kid had/has are not readily noticeable unless you've been interacting for a while.

If you are thinking your child is an Aspie, you'd do best to get them evaluated by a qualified professional. Then you'll know. I'm told there are some interventions available for young people these days that were not for me or my child. If it were me, and if they'd been available, I'd have wanted my daughter to have any advantage she could get.

Good luck!

PS There is a long list of things that could be going on other than Aspergers - social phobia, hearing problems, neurological issues with sound processing, etc., so it's best to get a thorough check out if you can for your kid.

jat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jan 2009, 11:57 pm

themonkey wrote:

What do you mean by this? To me, a child who has social difficulties and doesn't fit in with the other kids is not "normal like everyone else." What makes the child not fit in?

My child's eye contact is inconsistent, so sometimes I could say he looks people in the eyes - but not as often as other kids do. His body language is usually typical, but again, not always. And, as his mother, I am so familiar with him, I am really not in a good position to evaluate how typical his body language is! His voice is "normal," although at times he has some issues with modulation.

Is there another question behind this question? Are you trying to figure out whether your child has Asperger's? Are you trying to get reassurance that your child doesn't have Asperger's? If it's something like that, you really do need an evaluation by a qualified expert. Your two-line assessment is really not enough information for anyone to give you any solid information about your situation. As Nan said, there are many things that could be going on besides Asperger's. On the other hand, you may be overlooking diagnostically important details, that only a proper evaluation with a qualified expert would uncover.

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 12:54 pm

If social difficulties really get in the way of day-to-day life, then your child needs to get evaluated.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 2:57 pm

my daughter's voice is slightly cartoonish sounding. as far as appearance goes, she looks just bout the same as everyone else. social skills are bad.....inference skills are bad.

Lucymac
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2009, 10:45 pm

Who suggested that your child may have as? The teacher, how old is the child? Are you making this assumption? Get him/her evaluated by a psychologist or neuropsychologist that specializes in AS and get the anwers there. I am in the process of this right now. The psychologist doesn't think it is glaringly obvious after meeting her three times so we are going ahead with the testing and then the school is also scheduled to do testing in the next two months. I have a feeling though it's not AS but bipolar or mood disorder for my DD. Good luck. :You do need to have a professional diagnose however, don't assume on your own. We are too involved to make a nonpartial diagnosis!