Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JPmoney
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2009, 9:24 pm

I am a complete Firefox fan. However, I save many of my browsing sessions for another time, so every time I open Firefox it takes minutes to reload all of my tabs (I may have 30 to 50 at any given time) and add-ons. That is why I have been using Google Chrome a lot just for quickly finding small pieces of information when something pops into my head. The first beta version of Chrome was nice and would load instantly, but was terrible with Flash. But this new version of Chrome, although slightly more stable with Flash, is a piece of crap! When switching between tabs the browser tends to freeze for, like, 15 seconds (even if there are only 3 or 4 tabs). There is a lot of freezing in general, and the web surfing is getting slow. This "process isolation/sandbox" hype is nothing but BS. I'm having problems with text as I'm typing this post, the tab management sucks, and I'm really mad that there isn't any NoScript plugin for Chrome. On the bright side, there probably isn't very much malware targeting Chrome yet. Have you guys come across any malware using Chrome? Any other thoughts? Should we just give it time? Should I go back to the beta version?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 9:28 pm

I wouldn't know, Chrome does not yet support real operating systems.

I'll stick with Firefox until I find a better alternative (which must be open-source).

Loreic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2009, 10:05 pm

I tried Chrome, but was annoyed by the lay out. Not have my "space wasting stuff" was a bit of too much of a culture shock for me, I'll just stick it Firefox.

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 12:27 am

i've never tried chrome. I use either swiftweasal or icecat.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 4:22 pm

It did seem to start to freeze up and crash more and more frequently, so now I'm back with Firefox.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 11:05 pm

Chrome really isn't a web browser and you probably shouldn't be using it as such.

It became pretty obvious to me when I tried the Google Good Operating System (GOS 3.1)

http://www.thinkgos.com/gos.php

All of the Google Applications, such as Gmail and Google Reader run in separate sessions of Chrome but the Web browser for the system is Firefox.

Google seems to be treating Chrome like an application environment - and I think that we should do the same.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 2:10 am

Two reasons I dont use it (probably could find more but these 2 were app killers for me)

1. Not available for Linux
2. Does not work with forums like this

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 2:17 am

30 to 50 tabs, and it takes to long to open, what do you expect a miracle. Personally I don't care for Google Chrome tried it for a day and got rid of it.

JPmoney
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2009, 5:15 pm

silentbob15 wrote:
30 to 50 tabs, and it takes to long to open, what do you expect a miracle.

No, no, no, I'm not cutting down Firefox. All I'm saying is that because I have 50 tabs open in Firefox, I'm starting to use Chrome for small things, and leave the other things to Firefox. When most people are using one, I am alternating between two browsers. 50 tabs should take forever to load, obviously.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 5:47 pm

Why not just open a second window in Firefox Instead of comitting another mass of RAM for Chrome to reside in?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 11:11 pm

lau wrote:
Why not just open a second window in Firefox Instead of comitting another mass of RAM for Chrome to reside in?

When you start up FF on after logging in, you'll have to load the entire previous session if you've saved it. I've got about 30 tabs in FF, and it takes a while to load. Sometimes I might hop over to Seamonkey for a single website.

atari2600a
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2009, 11:32 pm

Orwell wrote:
lau wrote:

When you start up FF on after logging in, you'll have to load the entire previous session if you've saved it. I've got about 30 tabs in FF, and it takes a while to load. Sometimes I might hop over to Seamonkey for a single website.

That sounds absolutely backwards; seamonkey is an entire suite that surely takes up much more RAM!

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 1:38 am

do a lot of people normally have like 40 tabs open in firefox? sounds like that would take a while to reload 30-50 tabs. i don't get why one would open up another browser that isn't lightweight or just open another firefox window.

JPmoney
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2009, 6:38 pm

lau wrote:

Dokken wrote:
do a lot of people normally have like 40 tabs open in firefox? sounds like that would take a while to reload 30-50 tabs. i don't get why one would open up another browser that isn't lightweight or just open another firefox window.

No, you guys are misunderstanding me. I'm talking about after I log off of Firefox. If I have a session in reserve in Firefox, I'll open up Chrome instead of restoring and reloading the Firefox session. Trust me; I'm not stupid enough to open up 2 browsers at once. If there's something I need to save (webpage, video, etc.) then I have no choice but to reopen FF, since Google Chrome doesn't have the functionality. (It can save webpages, but when I tried it, they didn't save correctly.)

Orwell knows what I'm talking about:

Orwell wrote:

lau
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 7:29 pm

JPmoney wrote:
No, you guys are misunderstanding me. I'm talking about after I log off of Firefox.

Ah! You mean you actually come out of Firefox? I never close anything down. This SeaMonkey has been running since... well, I had a power cut, the other day.

Actually, I occasionally start up Firefox, Konqueror, Opera, and a few others, when I want to check out web page rendering, or for other obscure reasons.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 8:21 pm

Having about 50tabs in a browser just seems to eat memory. Seems to have a problem unloading it once finished.
Trying Google chrome for a day? I uninstalled it after about 30 minutes.