Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

lau
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2009, 6:14 pm

Dussel wrote:
What you would need to do is to de-install the driver and to re-install the old drivers directly from Nvidea. You must be only careful to de-install the old drivers fully.

No thank you. I have a system that works, at present, with my GeForce4 card.
I've been down the route of tinkering with the Nvidea stuff, and it's a minefield.
I managed to wreck my Debian system, by chopping and changing between stable, unstable and testing, and the variations of the Nvidea drivers, while Beryl was in development.
I quite liked Envy, when that came along, because it sorted out some of the problems that still remained on Ubuntu.
Eventually, Ubuntu and Compiz seemed to have sorted it all out, and reached a nice, stable system.
And then Intrepid decided it couldn't be bothered with the GeForce4.
I'd actually prefer to replace the graphics card, as a quicker, cheaper solution, if I really wanted to upgrade to Intrepid, which at present, I'm not too fussed by.

Dussel wrote:
lau wrote:
As I'm in the process of phasing out this machine, to some extent, I don't really want to get too tied up in tinkering with the upgrade process. (I've been phasing it out for about six months, now. Who knows.... another year or so, and I might get it done. :) )

I thin in the meanwhile there will hardy any piece of software on this box which is same ...

I think my last Ubuntu upgrade was something like a 500MiB download.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2009, 6:35 pm

Mac OS 7.5.3

Thatmew
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 12:28 am

Windows XP Professional Service Pack three, unable to run anything newer on an old Dell Optiplex G1. I have not the slightest idea how it keeps chugging onward. But much to my gratefulness, it does.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 4:51 am

Keith wrote:
Admittedly Windows 95 was pretty good when I saw it.

Really? we used to call it Mac 88

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx