Feel your talent going down the drain, due to your AS?

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Does your talent go down the drain?
Yes 56%  56%  [ 34 ]
No 30%  30%  [ 18 ]
Don't have a talent 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 61

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2009, 3:24 pm

FlamingYouth wrote:
I think yes. In Elementary school through high school, I was talented in swimming, karate, and playing trumpet. But, due to my lack of Executive function, I could not keep those things as I got older. These things require a lot of daily practice to get really good at, and for me that can be really hard. I'm just too lazy to practice these things and get better at them, so my skills disappeared over time. I can still do some karate, and I can play trumpet at a mediocre level, but I think my Asperger's Syndrome is keeping me from being as good as I could be.

Yeah. If you got the time to focus on one of the things you mentioned, I'll bet you'll be real good. That's what I tried to show on this poll. On the other hand, you might not have those abilities if you were an NT, see?

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 3:25 pm

you forgot to add just the opposite!

millie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 3:35 pm

Quote:
mosez wrote:
People always told me that I should be a writer, or journalist. Life, however, made me a carpenter. Many times I have wondered why I don't seem to pursue some of my talents, rather than to stick with my profession.
One of the answers I have come up with, is that most professions sucks the living daylights out of you.
You have no energy to even try to be something different from your position, today.
Do you feel that your talent(s) gone down the drain cause to your aspieness?[/quote
]

my friend zee Mosez....zees eez no goot. you see, zee talents vill make you heppy.

mee? a long time ago i say NO No No to any uzzer vork except zee special interest verk. and so now i am poor but vedy vedyhappy wizz zees. and i am tooo stressed wiz see sensory issues to verk vizz zee uzzer peeeple.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2009, 3:39 pm

garyww wrote:
I think there are two kinds of intrinsic talents. One comes from the head and results in mostly written or painted or drawn or acted-out types of 'results' or expression and the other comes from the body and is expressed through working with ones hands and the results are sculptures, furntture, musical instruments, houses, bridges, weldments and those types of things. Some people have both levels. Talents and their results are sometimes hard to judge as they are subjected to criteria of 'worth' or 'value' by society.

I perfectly understand what you say Gary, but I tried to say that one sometimes get caugth between one's profession, and what one really wants to do, or are talented to do. And that this may have something to do with the AS condition.
I liked your definition of talents, by the way.

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 3:49 pm

I used to do acting and singing. But, that can be a pretty cutthroat business, and that part was difficult for me to handle. Plus, as an autistic person, I don't "network" very well, and that is vital to the industry. On the whole, I'm happier out of that lifestyle.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2009, 3:57 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I have various talents, but i find it very difficult to hone my talents because of some of my AS issues, like my utter lack of organization.
I do what I can, and keep chugging at it though. I try to get better despite being constantly sidetracked.
I don't feel like my talents go completely down the drain.

Just what I tried to say. Constantly get forced out of the track, due to concentration
issues, or your regular job sucks out all your energy? s**t, maybe this was another stupid topic by me? It's hard to explain, but I think you got some of my meaning.

eristocrat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2009, 4:52 pm

Mosez, I thought this was a *good* topic. I try to work freelance because having a regular job makes me feel as though my soul is dying (best way I can describe it) and I can avoid office politics, which would kill me as far as work history and references. If I had been less troubled and better with people, I flatter myself that I could have done much better about getting into writing/publishing, rather than trying write in my spare time, because I honestly don't have the energy for it when my work is done.

On the other hand, I have my AS strengths as well.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 6:33 pm

sillyputty wrote:
Plus, as an autistic person, I don't "network" very well,

This is exactly what holds me back. I have been reasonably successful, but for years people have told me that if I would only network, I could really make it big time.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 6:40 pm

depends on your area of skill.

In IT, skill is a moving target. Everything is in a state of constant change; hardware, software, 'business fashions', etc. You have to constantly study in order to stay current on what you're working on.

I tend to wind up studying and passing certification tests annually (why? because they charge for them; it's a 'revenue stream')

So the ability to chuck tons of detailed info out of your brain, and fill it with new chunks that will in turn, get tossed out, is a skill in IT.

I do agree about being exhausted from work interfering. Though I'm not slinging 4x4s or 2x4s around all week.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 4:08 am

No, I'm using my Autism to my advantage...and it's woikin' like a charm!

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 4:29 am

My talents would be in writing, photography, and drawing. These skills don't require much or if any group work, though the concert photography got stressful and the sensory issues became too much. Wedding photography I was bad at because of lack of communication between me and the people I photographed.
But I'm not giving up.

edited because I mentioned drawing twice. I like to draw...

Last edited by pensieve on 04 Feb 2009, 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 4:35 am

pensieve wrote:
My talents would be in writing, photography, drawing and drawing. These skills don't require much or if any group work, though the concert photography got stressful and the sensory issues became too much. Wedding photography I was bad at because of lack of communication between me and the people I photographed.
But I'm not giving up.

Yer good at writing and photography too, huh? I'm actually learning stop-motion animation to boot!

And for some strange reason, I am able to understand business *click* just like that! If you explain to me a procedure in business, I automatically get it the first time. When my partner and I were starting up our business, I'd be talking a lot on the phone with our credit card company, credit card company AUTHORIZING company, and more...and apparently everything they said to me I understood instantly.

To this day, my partner is utterly baffled by it. It's funny.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 8:58 am

I blame ADHD, not AS (as I'm not even 100% sure I have it). I just can't concentrate enough on pursuing my talents, and instead spend all my focus and energy on useless information gathering.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 9:10 am

Yes. Or at least due to what I believe is AS. Had I done well in school I might be an architect now. I was/am very talented in that area but will now never achieve my full potential there.

Also I allowed my photography talent go down the drain because of my social skills problems. What a shame... :(

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 9:23 am

Prosser wrote:
Sadly the only talents I have are due to my aspergers (probably). So in my personal experience I'd say no, but I can see how it might.
I wish you good luck with your talents in any case.

This is me also. I probably wouldn't have the talent to be a writer because I wouldn't be as introspective..

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 9:31 am

Yeah, I have to go with "sort of".

My talents find expression in the music I play and the garden I grow.
They are not wasted.

Yet my talents were never adequately developed or properly capitalized upon. AS has caused me a lot of problems with higher education and employment. And this has indeed diverted some of my talent down the figurative drain.

So I'm working on that development and capitalization part right now.