Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

midge
Toucan
Toucan

24 Oct 2004, 7:17 pm

What kinds of activities do you all find the most peaceful/relaxing? For me it's definately driving (although I must add that I had a heck of a time learning how! I didn't get my license till I was almost nineteen). I commute daily from my house to UW-Milwaukee; it's about a 40 minute drive and I love every second of it...I think I'd go crazy without it. I especially like driving through the city at night when there isn't too much traffic. I was driving along a suspension bridge the other night that leads from the southern suburbs of Milwaukee to the downtown area and the view was amazing-in front of me the lights from the city buildings, along side of me the endless black of Lake Michigan, and all around me the glow from the streetlights. I'd drive along that bridge every night if I had the gas money! I also like to walk along the beach and swim in Lake Michigan-no matter how upset I am it just melts away when I go there :)

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2004, 8:57 pm

Quote:
I also like to walk along the beach and swim in Lake Michigan-no matter how upset I am it just melts away when I go there

I hope your not swimming down in milwaukee, seeing as how the city has had a chronic problem this year with the deep tunnel system and has had to dump several BILLION gallons of untreated sewage into the lake.

Back on topic here, for me I relax best when I can lay down on my bed with a pillow over my face to block out the light.

KtMcS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Oct 2004, 5:01 pm

reading...i read to help me sleep sometimes. It really relaxes me.
And walking, on my own, with no-one else around preferably, really makes me feel relaxed.

Sonas càirdeas

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2004, 11:42 pm

midge wrote:
What kinds of activities do you all find the most peaceful/relaxing? For me it's definately driving

Oh my... I absolutely hate driving. To me, that is the MOST stressful activity.
I find reading, or just rocking in my bentwood rocking chair to be the most peaceful/relaxing.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2004, 5:30 am

I also find driving extremely stressful. I still don't have my liscense, despite repeated practice sessions, and I'm 21 yrs old.

As for relaxing activities, I enjoy going for walks out in the woods, where it is quiet and peaceful. When I really need to "chill out" and I am at school (no woods around here) I either go online, or I watch "Edward Scissorhands" while laying in my bed : ). Lying in bed and listening to the rain is also quite relaxing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2004, 8:48 am

Listening to my local Oldies Station on the Radio relaxes me :P

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2004, 11:32 am

I enjoy driving myself, though learning was very stressful. My leg used to fall asleep while I was driving with my parents, because I would get too tense. Once I got my license and could drive alone I discovered it was quite fun. We lived in the middle of nowhere so there wasnt much traffic. When I was in college I would drive outside of the city and just get lost sometimes for fun. I also used to do laps around the beltway here late at night when I was really stressed out. Currently I am entertaining the idea of becoming a truck driver.
I find running and working out can be very helpful.
Still nothing relaxes me like meditation.

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2004, 11:56 am

ware4 wrote:
Currently I am entertaining the idea of becoming a truck driver.

My husband is a truck driver. He loves it!

Catffienated
Toucan
Toucan

29 Oct 2004, 9:09 pm

I read to absorb myself when I mildly stressed. When I am overloaded, I sit in my dark bathroom with no lights and listen to the washing machine and pipes next to it. It makes me calm. While I do this I think of all possible words beginning with a certain letter containing a set number of characters.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2004, 2:51 am

relaxing? what's that?

(i've never been able to relax)

:(

V

Arashi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Oct 2004, 10:26 am

I used to really enjoy motorcycling. It was a form of meditation for me. Because you have to be totally in-touch with your environment while riding, (if you don't want to crash), a good ride would stop me from worrying and totally clear my mind.

Unfortunately a few years ago I had a bad crash. I'd been in a crash before, (a head-on collision in an intersection), but I'd walked away from it nearly unscathed.

This time the crash didn't SEEM bad, I locked the front wheel going into a turn at around 45 mph, but instead of sliding like I should have, my right boot got traction with the road and spun my leg around above the ankle, shattering my shin bone and snapping the other bone down there, (I forget what it's called).

I wasn't too upset, I just thought I'd be in a cast for a while, but unfortunately the damage was so severe that they had to put me in what's known as an "external fixator" for around three months. Basically that's when they drill holes in your bones, screw metal posts in, and clamp the posts together on the outside of your leg to hold everything in place. Then I had a cast for another three months. The first day I was off the crutches I split my shin below the knee! :D The bones had weakened.

So over six months of not walking put an end to my motorcycling. I really miss those rides, but I have a son to take care of now.

Now for relaxation I like to smoke a bowl of pipe tobacco once a day during the warmer months. I also enjoy reading, playing video games, and just sitting and thinking.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 9:22 pm

Reading Non-Fiction (and occasionally Fiction) that I'm interested in.
Going to bed when I'm tired.
Doing routine work if I have a job.