Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

orngjce223
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2009, 5:49 pm

Stuff that you didn't get from a recipe book but that might be interesting to eat. Exact measurements of ingredients not required.

---------
Chinese boiled "riceballs":

Get that "glutinous rice" (don't worry, it doesn't have actual gluten in it) from an Asian supermarket. It's a type of flour that comes in small bags about the size of a half a sheet of paper (except fatter, but that's the point of having a sack of flour). Add just enough water to it to make a stiff dough. Add small amounts of food coloring if you can tolerate it and want your food to be strangely colored.

Bring a large (large as you can easily maneuver, anyhow) pot of water to a boil. Knead dough until well-mixed, adding water as necessary (flour'll stick to your hands while you're doing this, but that's all right). Pinch out small bits of dough (the smaller, the faster they cook, but you have substantial leeway). Roll the dough into balls, or into snakes, or even roll out with a rolling pin and cut out shapes with a cookiecutter. Not too thin, though, because then they just disintegrate.

When you are finished with your dough balls, drop them in the water. They will boil for several minutes and are finished when they float at the edges of the pot without assistance from the movement of the water that is boiling. Serve sweetened (ladle out a small amount of pot water, add sugar/sweetener to that, add to your individual bowls to taste) and hot (they congeal into a strange texture when they get cold, in which case you could probably heat them in the microwave again but it's just not the same).

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 6:51 pm

pickles.

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 7:18 pm

I make really good buckwheat pancakes. I use buckwheat flour, brown rice flour, salt, olive oil, either light coconut milk or an egg beaten in water as a milk substitute, and baking powder (without aluminum). They come out light and fluffy, I eat them with real maple syrup.

Z

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 9:25 pm

Once I had rice pasta, with tuna, pesto and sliced tomatoes. I'm not sure if I added anything else to it, but it was really tasty.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 9:45 pm

Try making iced tea by boiling 2 litres of water, pooring it into a big enough juice container, add three bags of plain rooibos (red tea), let stand 1 hour, add honey and lemon juice to taste, cool overnight. Simple, and the best iced tea I have ever had. When the tea has stood for an hour with the bags in, it will turn a dark brown. Addind the honey and lemon should make it more of a somewhat dark reddy orange.

Wurzel
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2009, 11:16 pm

http://paleofood.com/

The most useful recipe I found was nut milk- 1/2 cup almond flour mixed in a glass of water with some honey.

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2009, 11:27 pm

Padium wrote:
Try making iced tea by boiling 2 litres of water, pooring it into a big enough juice container, add three bags of plain rooibos (red tea), let stand 1 hour, add honey and lemon juice to taste, cool overnight. Simple, and the best iced tea I have ever had. When the tea has stood for an hour with the bags in, it will turn a dark brown. Addind the honey and lemon should make it more of a somewhat dark reddy orange.

I tend to drink green tea and it's usually hot. Does the recipe above make a weak or strong tea? I ask as you only say to use three bags for two litres of water--which seems a bit low to me (but you steep it for an hour). I usually put about 1 bag of tea per six to eight ounces (depending on the cup I use), so two litres for me would be about 11 bags (if my math is right, I'm tired). 8O

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 11:47 pm

KazigluBey wrote:
Padium wrote:

I tend to drink green tea and it's usually hot. Does the recipe above make a weak or strong tea? I ask as you only say to use three bags for two litres of water--which seems a bit low to me (but you steep it for an hour). I usually put about 1 bag of tea per six to eight ounces (depending on the cup I use), so two litres for me would be about 11 bags (if my math is right, I'm tired). 8O

Red tea is a really strong tea in general, and it comes out the pefrect strength with 3 tea bags, i do 1 tea bag for roughly a 16 ounce cup of the tea for drinking hot. And its streength doesn't lessen like most teas when chilled.