Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 5:28 am

I don't think the quick little outbursts are special to Aspies. I'll say things to myself like "you twit" over some dumb little thing. Or "cheese." (That's a cross between "sh**" and "Jeez," and I didn't realize it sounded like that until my kids started making fun of it.)

As for full, two-sided conversations, I don't think I've done that much.

Lately, when there's no one home or I'm alone in the car, I have been screaming at certain people. But that's new. And they really deserve it. That's only the last couple of months. Normally, I just keep it in my head. If I do it out loud, no one has ever said anything.

Is it for complicated issues that are hard to figure out in your head? Maybe it's like using scrap paper for math, or spreading a jigsaw puzzle on a table (you can't do it inside the box). I like to write stuff out. Things make more sense to me on paper. I started writing "therapy letters" (with no intention of sending) to Dear Abbey when I was a kid. In most things, by the time you finish explaining the problem, you've usually got the answer.

Anyway, I think whatever you do to make the process easier is understandable. We have more brain work to do than everyone else, and we need to do it alone, with no help from anyone.

It's better to hide it when you can, but I doubt that it's an important, internal problem. Just a cosmetic problem.

Can you do something to hide it better? Have a fake earplug, so that you can pretend you're on the phone? A squishy toy in your pocket that you can substitute for hitting yourself? I don't know, I'm just trying to imagine...

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2009, 7:26 am

I'm surprised no one's had a definite no o.o.
Anyway, I usually keep it in my head. If no one else is in the house then I might start talking to my self a loud, but that's it. It's only when it's a heated argument where I might shout 'Shut up!' or something.
I guess it is a bit more second person.
Thanks for your replies, I was just wondering if it was common.
I would reply to each post individually, but in most forums I go to multiple posts at one time are frowned upon.
EMZ=]