Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2009, 5:06 pm

I'm not sure if it's an Aspie trait, but meh.
I always talk to my self.
I tend to talk to my self the most at school, because there's no one else to talk to.
However, if I'm extremely annoyed, then it gets to a ridiculous extent. People can actually here my self telling my self to shut up and that I'm wrong and stuff, and sometimes I even hit my self, and it's like a negative and positive side getting crazy at each other. And this isn't 3rd person, I'm actually changing every 5 seconds or so from positive to negative. It does seem to be more 3rd person on the negative though, usually I don't think like that. Admittedly, I don't think positively too, but usually I'm just pessimistically sarcastic, but when I'm in that sort of situation it's just my negative side getting pissed at my positive side. This usually happens after some sort of social conflict not in my head, but sometimes I'm just talking to my self about something, and say something stupid, and then I'm arguing with my self...
I was just wondering if anyone else is like this and to what extent?
I know another person who does it too, and he goes to the social skills group I go to, so he's probably Aspie or Autistic(Autie?[There phrases are new to me, only ever heard them on WP])
Or is this weird?
EMZ=]

FlamingYouth
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Feb 2009, 5:12 pm

I talk to myself an awful lot. Whether I'm laying in my bed or doing homework, or trying to make a decision, or even while eating, I really do talk to myself. Supposedly it's not a normal thing, but so be it. It can help arrange your thoughts.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 5:16 pm

I tend to do that fairly often myself. I try to keep it in my head but just this morning I answered a question incorrectly in Anatomy class today and told myself "Stupid. Stop answering questions you idiot. You KNEW that was WRONG!". I tend to do it more when I am upset.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2009, 5:17 pm

FlamingYouth wrote:
I talk to myself an awful lot. Whether I'm laying in my bed or doing homework, or trying to make a decision, or even while eating, I really do talk to myself. Supposedly it's not a normal thing, but so be it. It can help arrange your thoughts.

I guess the real question is should I worry about talking to my self developing into some what aggressive arguing?
If I didn't talk to my self at school(breaks and stuff), I'd be very bored, I don't really care about that, it's just when I go into a lesson pissed off with my self and having to stop my hand from punching my self in the face. I've never punched anyone in the face except from my self when I'm frustrated from my self. It's like two different people then. It's sort of embarrassing. Thankfully, not many people notice it, but most of my friends know I talk to my self(they've seen me getting pissed off at my self[they lol'd xD]).
EMZ=]

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2009, 5:19 pm

blackcat wrote:
I tend to do that fairly often myself. I try to keep it in my head but just this morning I answered a question incorrectly in Anatomy class today and told myself "Stupid. Stop answering questions you idiot. You KNEW that was WRONG!". I tend to do it more when I am upset.

Yeah! That's what I mean! But it goes on for 5 minutes or so in my head. Then it gets to the point(as stated before) when I'm having to restrain one part of me trying to punch my self...
EMZ=]

Fintan29
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2009, 5:48 pm

I do it 23/7. I even do it during school when I try to prevent myself from doing so. I can't help it sometimes.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2009, 9:00 pm

Emor wrote:
And this isn't 3rd person, I'm actually changing every 5 seconds or so from positive to negative.

Is it then a 2nd person? :o

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 9:08 pm

I often talk to me. My wife and my co-workers often say "why are you talking to yourself?" I generally do it while thinking, reasoning out problems, or preparing for the conversations I might have during my day. I find that while I shower is a good time for talking to myself and I TRY to keep it in my head but it doesn't always work out that way.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 9:38 pm

I've done it, I'm not going to lie. I always discuss what I'm going to do during the day.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 9:41 pm

It must be an aspie trait because I do it and always have. Sometimes it scares people or they think I'm talking to them when I'm not. My mom gives me a hard time about it too but the majority of people who give me a hard time about it are female. I guess it's because aspergers is mostly found in males.

Cascadians
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Feb 2009, 9:49 pm

Watch Gollum. He's always arguing with the 2 sides of himself :lol:

I never used to talk to myself. But after 4 years of being alone most of the time, and realizing that I'm my own best company and really interesting, I decided to start talking to myself. It's fun. I give myself pep talks to help with transitions. I enjoy everything I do so much it's hard to stop one thing and start another. Also have zero sense of time. So I have to coach myself. And talking out loud, since there's nobody around, lets me exercise my voice and reinforce materializing my thoughts.

I've been so loving and kind and supportive and encouraging to everybody else my whole life, decided to do the same for myself. Be my own best friend. It's working out wonderfully!

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 11:33 pm

I can say I do the same - I already wrote in an other thread that verbalizing thing to myself is for essential to learn and understand issues and I also often talk to myself by just "dropping out" what is actual going through my brain. I know that this sometime quite annoying for co-workers or even my friend, especially when do know that I talking to him or myself.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 12:07 am

...These are my very favorite threads...about talking to yourself. I talk to myself constantly for weeks on end. Then for a few months I'm quiet, just thinking in my head. So it alternates. Sometimes I wake myself up from yelling in my sleep.

I've been known to have a conversation with myself, debating and such. But that's rare. Usually I'm just working out a plan or sorting through an emotional reaction by thinking aloud.

It's hard to keep quiet in public when I've been incessantly talking to myself at home.

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 12:11 am

I do more than talk to myself. Sometimes I'll act it out (if nobody's watching).

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

AC132
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Feb 2009, 4:34 am

I talk to myself a lot. I said something to my colleague at work this week (I don't often initiate conversations) and she ignored me as she assumed I was talking to myself... I guess I do it more than I realise.

I do catch myself muttering under my breath when I'm out and about. I shut up if someone walks past, but then resume the chatter once they've gone by. I enjoy the chance to have interesting conversations that I'm in control of, that are fluid and flow naturally, that go into subjects that I like to discuss but never get the opportunity to talk about "in real life". Most conversations I have are work related, about other peoples' lives and issues or, if they are about something I like, they are truncated and only graze the surface.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 5:28 am

I don't think the quick little outbursts are special to Aspies. I'll say things to myself like "you twit" over some dumb little thing. Or "cheese." (That's a cross between "sh**" and "Jeez," and I didn't realize it sounded like that until my kids started making fun of it.)

As for full, two-sided conversations, I don't think I've done that much.

Lately, when there's no one home or I'm alone in the car, I have been screaming at certain people. But that's new. And they really deserve it. That's only the last couple of months. Normally, I just keep it in my head. If I do it out loud, no one has ever said anything.

Is it for complicated issues that are hard to figure out in your head? Maybe it's like using scrap paper for math, or spreading a jigsaw puzzle on a table (you can't do it inside the box). I like to write stuff out. Things make more sense to me on paper. I started writing "therapy letters" (with no intention of sending) to Dear Abbey when I was a kid. In most things, by the time you finish explaining the problem, you've usually got the answer.

Anyway, I think whatever you do to make the process easier is understandable. We have more brain work to do than everyone else, and we need to do it alone, with no help from anyone.

It's better to hide it when you can, but I doubt that it's an important, internal problem. Just a cosmetic problem.

Can you do something to hide it better? Have a fake earplug, so that you can pretend you're on the phone? A squishy toy in your pocket that you can substitute for hitting yourself? I don't know, I'm just trying to imagine...