Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 7:37 pm

I was just discussing human evolution, the discussion went something like this

We may have improved our lives, had major advances in technology, major advances in scientific understanding etc. but at base we are still a primitive instinctive being. Laws and restrictions by governing bodies are an attempt to ameliorate this lack of evolution. The discussion inevitable moved to the ability of society to work on a more equitable basis and whether or not the stronger more aggressive and domineering types could be prevented from taking control.

Any thoughts.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 8:13 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:

Any thoughts.

We are the Smartest Baddest Apes in the Monkey House.

Primates we are and dominant males there will be.

ruveyn

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 8:20 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
We may have improved our lives, had major advances in technology, major advances in scientific understanding etc.
I have trouble attributing technological advances to evolution. I think this is just a byproduct of our ability to pass on new knowledge from one generation to the next.
DentArthurDent wrote:
but at base we are still a primitive instinctive being. Laws and restrictions by governing bodies are an attempt to ameliorate this lack of evolution..
Well, social psychology shows that as a whole, we are who we are in reaction to the bigger group. I am not certain it is something we can evolve above, or even if we should.
DentArthurDent wrote:
The discussion inevitable moved to the ability of society to work on a more equitable basis and whether or not the stronger more aggressive and domineering types could be prevented from taking control.
I would conclude the weaker, less agressive, and non-domineering types do not really want control.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 9:55 pm

ruveyn wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

Any thoughts.

ruveyn

but having a nice red rear would be schweet though

AC_is_the_new_DC
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Feb 2009, 4:58 am

Just how would you propose the meek should inherit the earth?
...by asking for it nicely?

But, yes - it is a common myth that base, primitive instinct is no longer a part of the human psyche; or, if it is, it exists as only a minor, lesser part of the mind, beneath intelligence.
Not at all true - the more "primitive" instinctive behaviour is, in fact, the most powerful force in human psychology. Sentience and intelligence isn't this magical thing that squashes instinct beneath it's heel; rather, it's a broader extention of instinctive behaviour to achieve goals, furthering the base, "primitive" goals inherant with man.

Or, to grossly oversimplify, instead of "want food, find food", it's "want food, find food, no food, grow food, ensure more food can be grown again", all to satisfy the same base requirement - the need for sustenance.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 5:08 am

AC_is_the_new_DC wrote:

But, yes - it is a common myth that base, primitive instinct is no longer a part of the human psyche; or, if it is, it exists as only a minor, lesser part of the mind, beneath intelligence.
Not at all true - the more "primitive" instinctive behaviour is, in fact, the most powerful force in human psychology. Sentience and intelligence isn't this magical thing that squashes instinct beneath it's heel; rather, it's a broader extention of instinctive behaviour to achieve goals, furthering the base, "primitive" goals inherant with man.

Or, to grossly oversimplify, instead of "want food, find food", it's "want food, find food, no food, grow food, ensure more food can be grown again", all to satisfy the same base requirement - the need for sustenance.

Hey it happened many times
Reptiles got it from amhibians and inects when oxygen started declining....
Dinosoaurs got it from the supercrocs
Mammales took it from dinosours

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 5:09 am

AC_is_the_new_DC wrote:

Hey it happened many times
Reptiles got it from amhibians and inects when oxygen started declining....
Dinosoaurs got it from the supercrocs
Mammales took it from dinosours

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 8:39 am

AC_is_the_new_DC wrote:

I've always wondered where this myth came from.

for me it was always obvious that homo sapiens are irrational apes, whose pack instincts cloud their judgment in all possible situations.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 8:56 am

It's a fallacy to say that all humans are this or that. There are many subgroups that have behaviors from both cultural and genetic tendencies which vary widely. That controlling subgroups have common tendencies is not surprising since particular social requirements filter out those more or less successful in particular functions. And there are hierarchies of function where one group type consciously or unconsciously develops and uses other group types. Leaders need followers and vice versa.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 9:07 am

Eggman wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

Any thoughts.

ruveyn

but having a nice red rear would be schweet though

Having oposable toes whould be useful as well