Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

mistercheech
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2009, 6:21 pm

lol, if only. i'm sick of being so excessively creative.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 6:27 pm

Some of us under some conditions lack creativity. But it seems to me that the creative proportion of aspies I meet is higher than the proportion of NTs. But that's only anecdote, not scientific research.

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Is this only about me that I am a low functioning aspie or that its true for others also??

I don't really think its an issue related to AS. If you aren't creative then your not creative... It doesn't mean your low functioning.

veruniel
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2009, 7:25 pm

My aspie friend is very creative. He composes all sorts of weird, atonal music which is very cerebral, and interprets music by other composers in his own unique way. But I've noticed that his creations tend to be very structured and mathematical. I think his artistry is really a gift for analysing and creating patterns.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 7:53 pm

This is an interesting topic. It's so cut and dry as being either creative or uncreative. I think I'm conditionally creative, i.e. given the right amount of inspiration I can be very creative. However, my creativity only comes once I feel inspired/moved by something. That positive emotion has to be there or my mind just goes blank.

My "forced" creative is low though. I'm rarely able to create something when I'm put on the spot or given conditions / deadlines. In my school years I always hated doing those damned class project assignments. I usually thought they were "stupid" and felt like I couldn't force myself to do them without suffering through periods of extreme frustration and mental exhaustion. I also remember assignments like "imagine you were such and such a character from the book we just read and write a letter as if you were that character" which I absolutely despised. Usually it was because I didn't care for the character or book and thought anything I wrote would sound stupid.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 8:07 pm

Let me think... I have a degree in composition. Also, I write, draw and paint.
This doesn't seem like a lack of creativity to me.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 8:16 pm

generally we are creative at thinking up questions to ask at discussion boards when we have nothing better to do.

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 8:31 pm

The most creative people are politicians. They are innovative in finding things to tax. :(

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 8:36 pm

I think that the unique way many Aspies look at things lends itself well to creative thinking, or at least enhances the creative process.

TheLemonSquish
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Feb 2009, 8:47 pm

I don't think so. Out of all my friends, I am DEFINITELY the most random. And not stereotypically random, either. There's random like mentioning all the things one is supposed to say if one wants to be random, like penguins, hamsters, coconuts, and squirrels. But nobody EVER thinks about the truly random, such as the possibility of accidentally launching an unfortunate sleeping dugong into space, or getting caught on national television pretending to be a fisherman fishing for plumbing equipment in a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup.

... i.e. random.

thebarkingbird
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Feb 2009, 9:17 pm

shantonu wrote:
i can understand what u guys r talking about.I can draw cartoons.But its always about character and also they are of certain types.What I do is to blend my previous experience and draw it in a different way.In summary I use experience for drawing not creativity.When i try to draw new type of cartoons of which I havent seen any example I cant draw a good one.

Is this only about me that I am a low functioning aspie or that its true for others also??

how often do you rework the new type cartoons or try again before you diecide it's not going to work out?

SpaceStace
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Feb 2009, 9:39 pm

I'm really creative. I just suck at starting something from scratch - I can't make something of nothing. But give me something and ask me to make something else of it and I'll come up with a million things, most of them good.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 9:53 pm

Personally, I think that aspies are far more creative than NTs.

I write poems, stories etc. I create web sites, blogs etc, I do a bit of graphic art etc...

At work, I've always been involved with displays and marketing.

Its a myth that aspies are less creative.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 10:03 pm

I'm one of the most creative people that I know. I've made many creations in my lifetime, and I haven't stopped yet.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 10:13 pm

shantonu wrote:
Do aspies have a lack of creativity? Can they only do the things which they have seen before or solve the known problems for which they have prepared?

am have autism and am very good at drawing-though cannot draw things have not seen before,for am it's part of having a strong imagination impairment,it affects most parts of life including IQ tests that are based on those 'guess what happens next' puzzles,the imagination impairment is mostly supposed to be on the autism side which is why they removed it from AS and changed it to something like-a difference in imagination instead.

Both Auties and Aspies can be very good at art and other similar things,the day centre [for autistics] am go to has artwork that service users have made during the day framed and all over the walls,doesnt matter if imagination impairment gets in the way there are a lot of great autie/aspie artists.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 10:43 pm

Gah! Have you even looked at this site? Creative geniuses, at least 40%. Just not good at getting what other people are getting at.