Do aspies have a lack of creativity ( Part -2 )

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Feb 2009, 12:35 pm

I have AS and I make up songs for keyboard and dulcimers. I also write poetry and short stories (though I am working on a novel now). I think I am pretty creative.

However, I am also creating an HO scale amusement park in my basement. Here, I am using drawings from actual amusement parks (that are now defunct) to provide the inspiration for the midway layout. My Eerie Mansion dark ride will have multiple dioramas in it, but I am borrowing those scenes from Eerie Publications comic books from the '60s and '70s. My roller coasters will all come from actual old blueprints that I have collected.

I am wanting to build a small miniature golf course in our backyard, but I do not feel like I want to create the holes from my imagination---so I bought a miniature golf course plan off of Ebay.

So even though I feel creative in the literary and musical sense, when it comes to models and tangible things, I usually create from actual things that are probably out of the historical past.

Sorry, I am not describing things well today---just one of those days I guess.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 12:35 pm

Everything is derived from something else, it just may be a take of things that strikes others in a way they've never been struck before (that they do or don't interpret as original). If something is so original that it's not connected to anything familiar it'll probably be judged as not original because only the creator will understand it. So judging something original is sounds like subjective call to me.

"Good artists copy. Great artists steal."
--Pablo Picasso

And how many people are truly original? The implication of the title of this thread is that non-aspie people are unusually original in comparison to aspies, which I very much doubt is true.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Feb 2009, 1:43 pm

Good point Apple_in_my_Eye. That makes me think of Walt Disney. So much of what he did was taken from other ideas---like his movies. And many of his themed rides at the theme parks came from old patents out of the early 20th century.

Ok...ok...here is one of my Aspie narrow interest areas (old amusement ride patents):

The 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea came from an old patent called the Submarine Boat Ride.
Peter Pan's Flight came from an old patent called Trip in an Airship.
Space Mountain was inspired by the old scenic railways of the early 1900s.
and I think there are more.

shantonu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2009, 2:53 pm

thnx guys...........

ur replies hv helped me a lot to understand the actual concept of creativity..... :D :P :lol:

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2009, 12:48 am

I've actually found my artwork to be of great benefit to me, and it helps that it's my main obsession as well. My boss loves it, he knows the more work he piles on my desk and the more challenging the work is, the happier I am.

Outside of graphic design, my other artistic obsession is painting people. It's really helped me to understand people more. When you properly take the time to accurately draw a person's face, get their pose right, you're studying every bend and twist and wrinkle. It's helping me to understand those subtle little things that I usually miss in someone's expression.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 1:11 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
I'd post my retail website, but don't think I'm allowed to.

And I think we're some of the most creative people in the entire world. :)

I totally agree.