Autism and schizophrenia/schizoaffective/bipolar

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 11:25 pm

I am wondering how many on here either have schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, or bipolar along with their autism/Asperger's. I believe it is a higher rate among autistic/Asperger's individuals for some reason. I have as most of you know autism (high functioning) and schizoaffective disorder bipolar type. So, how many of you guys (or girls) have this? If so, what is it like? How do the meds affect it? With me, the meds work great for awhile and then stop working all together. I am wondering if this is common among people with autism or Asperger's.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 11:35 pm

I think that the prevalence is a little higher of having a Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorder and Bipolar compared to the normal population in people with an ASD (OCD too). It's not much higher, but it is statistically of note.

They're all neurological disorders, so it makes sense that someone can manifest a cluster of them. For example, you only need to manifest the positive symptoms of Schizophrenia for a month or two (delusions, hallucinations, etcetera), and you can be given a diagnosis of such if you have one of Autism or Asperger's (in the latter, it must proceed the onset of Asperger's).

I don't have either in addition, so I'm of no help.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 12:25 am

My BF and I both have AS with bipolar I disorder. However, he once saw a doctor who believes that with AS the bipolar isn't separate, but is just a manifestation of emotional overload with AS. This is NOT a standard theory, just hers.

I know my BF and I meet the criteria for AS and bipolar, separately. I believe they are different but probably genetically related.

Also, I get bipolar from my dad's side of the family, and AS from my mom's.

IndridCold
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2009, 12:45 am

I have a relative who has both Asperger Syndrome and Schizoaffective Disorder(bipolar type).

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 1:18 am

My dad had Schizophrenia, along with Bi-Polar, and I think my mom has some AS traits, along with Schizotypical PD (could be wrong though, as she don't like talk about it much). I don't know what I have for sure, but AS (HFA), Schizoid PD, ADD, OCD, and mild Bi-Polar all seem likely.

I also think that this group of disorders is very closely related to each other, which is probably why a lot of the symptoms overlap each other.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 2:03 am

I have bipolar 1 disorder. I was diagnosed in Sep. of '07. I haven't been tested yet, but I'm certain I have either Asperger's PDD-NOS, or some other form of HFA. From what I've read, it is very common for people with Asperger's, etc. to have mood disorders, like bipolar. I've even wondered if my moods could come more from being somewhere on the autism spectrum than from being bipolar. I read that some doctors have given non-bipolar people who have autistm/Asperger's mood stabilizers & it has worked well in them. I'm on mood stabilizers for my bipolar & an anti anxiety med for my social anxiety. the mood stabilizers have worked greatly to control my moods, although they're not perfect.