Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Catffienated
Toucan
Toucan

27 Oct 2004, 10:48 am

Is it just me or does anybody else here get seriously freaked out by doctors? All doctors make me very uncomfortble. I went to an eye doctor on Monday; and I hated it! He didn't use thouse dilating drops or puffs of air. Some weird orange gunk being shoved into my eye and a lot of bright lights will certainly get a bad attitude from me! And, on top of that, I have to go back next week; because he thinks from his computer pictures of my eyeball that I have a neurlogical problem. Telling him about the Asperger's Syndrome made him more understanding, but he never directed things to me other than "It's okay"; and I really want to know what's going on! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggg! I'm not stupid! And the fact that he's saying I have neurological damage and that I have to come back in next week really doesn't help my stress. Does anybody else here have problems like this?

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2004, 10:58 am

I seriously hate that "puff of air" thing they do to test for glaucoma. The first time they did it to me. I pulled away from the device screaming bloody murder.

I also hate having drops put in my eyes to dilate them.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2004, 9:48 pm

I *cannot* sit still for the air-puff. The anticipation makes me pull back constantly. I finally found a nice eye-doctor who had a cool machine that obviates the puff of air and he had a way of putting me at ease.

Dentists are worse- I didn't used to mind them until I got one who was a sadist....after him I became phobic. The one I have now has an autistic daughter so he is very kind and understanding; in fact he seems a little aspie himself. He lets me wear the lead apron (the pressure is very soothing and calming) and allows me to have a folded towel over my upper face so that I don't have to stare into the bright lights and see every single instrument that is honing in on me!! ! This has made an unbelievable difference. :-)

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2004, 1:12 am

I have lots of problems with Drs - several people have suggested that the reason for this is that one of my major issues in life is saving time - I like for people to save me time and I (apparently wrongly) think that others feel the same way - this means that when I go to the Dr I have already researched what may be wrong with me and go in and say 'I think I have tonsilits, but it isn't so bad that they need to be taken out - if you would give me some antibiotics that would be great - but I'm allergic to penacillin but keflex worked great when I had an abcessed tooth . . .' - but they don't like that . . .

I hate my psychiatrist and see him as someone who can write me prescriptions for meds I need and that is all . . .

That is interesting that chamoisee had a bad experience with a dentist, too - I had one that, I don't think he was a sadist, I think he had just gotten too old to do his job - regardless I'm still having problems with some fillings he did and when I had my abcessed tooth he tried to pull the crown off while the tooth was abcessed - and I have a VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY high pain tolerance and I about climbed the wall - I can honestly say that is one of the only things that has ever REALLY hurt in my whole life . . .
Anyway, I've found a good one now, but find myself very phobic of dentists . . .

Eye exams are hard for me because they involve someone getting really close to me and shining lights in my eyes and it disorients me for a long time - I am very sensitive to light . . . I literally cannot see with my eyes dialted, so I don't usually let them do that unless I have a ride home . . .

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2004, 3:14 am

animallover wrote:

Eye exams are hard for me because they involve someone getting really close to me and shining lights in my eyes and it disorients me for a long time - I am very sensitive to light . . . I literally cannot see with my eyes dialted, so I don't usually let them do that unless I have a ride home . . .

I agree *groan* . I have sensitivity to light also and can't stand having someone around my face. I once had to go to A & E to have an object removed from my eye - the doctor was trying to get it out using what appeared to be a syringe needle under a bright lamp. It went something like:

doc - 'Keep your eye still'
duncvis - 'I was doing. Let go of my ear.'
doc - 'how am I supposed to get it out if you won't keep your eye open?'
duncvis - 'Argh, that @$*#*~% lamp is bright'

etc. I think it took him about an hour in the end.... :lol:

dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2004, 1:42 pm

They had to take my picture, literally 12-15 times for my ID badge at work (it was a digital camera) - before they finally gave up and decided that they would just have to have my eyes closed - the problem, which I couldn't share with them, was that they were having me face a window which had open blinds, and it was sunny outside, and they were flashing a bright light in my face . . .

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2004, 1:49 pm

eye test and photographs? bad enough.

however, gynaecology.......

V

midge
Toucan
Toucan

28 Oct 2004, 7:27 pm

Most doctors creep me out...being in a little room with a strange person who has access to sharp instruments and drugs just plain makes me nervous. I also have a little fear of syringes...when I was little, maybe four or five, it would take two nurses to hold me down when I'd get my booster shots. I have made a pledge to myself never to get another cavity again so I won't have to get those novacaine shots. I am shivering just thinking about it.....

blondie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Oct 2004, 9:13 pm

Doctors Espacilly Mind Readers Freak Me Out Example My Devlopmental Pediatrition Is A Mind Reader And The Ones That Start With Psy Are Mind Readers Too Also Conselors,O.T.s,P.T.s

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2004, 11:39 pm

I think pretty soon they are going to have to start giving me nitrous oxide for those female things . . . I hate those the most of all . . .

What is interesting to me is that it isn't necessarily the touch at a Dr.s office that bothers me - because I love to get tattoos and piercings - it is the loss of control - I mean I can always get up and walk out of my tattoo artist's studio - but Drs have ramifications if you do that . . .
And the attitude - I don't like the fact that they don't care what I have to say about my own well being - and medical/psychological issues are one of my topics of obcession, so I frequently have a lot to say . . . :lol:

magic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2004, 8:35 pm

chamoisee wrote:
Dentists are worse [...] The one I have now [...] lets me wear the lead apron (the pressure is very soothing and calming)

This is a fantastic idea that would surely work for me. The problem that I have with my dentist, a very nice guy in all respects, is that he touches my teeth and gums. I understand that it is necessary, but I must brace myself and use all willpower not to jump on the chair. Despite that I often twitch or move my head. "Did it hurt?", the dentist asks. Well, of course not. :)

Scoots5012 wrote:
I seriously hate that "puff of air" thing they do to test for glaucoma.

When I had my eyes examined last month, the doctor used a machine that was shining bright light into my eye and then puffed air. I wonder if this is what everyone is talking about here. Suffice is to say that the apparatus made me scream.

I also detest measuring blood pressure. The "squeezing band" amplifies my pulse to the level that is very uncomfortable.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2004, 10:30 pm

magic wrote:
The problem that I have with my dentist, a very nice guy in all respects, is that he touches my teeth and gums. I understand that it is necessary, but I must brace myself and use all willpower not to jump on the chair. Despite that I often twitch or move my head. "Did it hurt?", the dentist asks. Well, of course not. :)

The thing I don't like about the dentist is when they polish your teeth. The feel of the polishing head on my teeth makes it feel like someone is running pins and needles down my back.

During the whole polishing thing I'm wincing and squirming around in my chair. The hygentist has to always tell me to try and sit still.

Catffienated
Toucan
Toucan

03 Nov 2004, 12:44 pm

Because the insurance I'm under would not cover the test, my parents decided to not have me take it. I'm not really upset; but it does still freak me out that he said I might have neurological damage. Also, thank you everybody for replying. I also dislike the dentist; and I think I will try putting a cloth on my eyes because the lights and watching the dentist freak me out.