what's the difference between INTJ and AS?

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 6:24 pm

http://typelogic.com/intj.html ===> the whole article rings bells related that remind us of symptoms related AS.

Someone told me that the only difference between AS and IN-types of personality is in term of severity :Aspies have more "significant" social impairment that prevent them to handle a job and get relationships/friends, INs don't necessarily have a "significant" social impairment.

This person also told me AS includes sensory issues while IN-types don't, yet I found this interesting part:

Quote:
6. Introverted sensing

The LII has poor control over their physical well-being, neglecting matters of simple hygiene relatively easily. They dislike having to take care of mundane details of work but simultaneously derive pleasure from aesthetic neatness and organization.

The LII is easily annoyed by sensory over-stimulation, including loud noises, bright light, and extreme temperature. On the other hand, they easily become "addicted" to more pleasurable things, such as music, which have a corresponding effect on their mood (Fe). When left to their own devices, the LII tends to oscillate unhealthily between total indulgence of the senses and total neglect—the latter especially when working on something they feel to be extremely important. They tend to feel guilty for indulging in hedonism for the sake of hedonism.

On the surface the LII can seem easygoing, but in work projects or at home their critical nature will become more obvious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_In ... _Introvert

LII = INTJ

Stats show that the INTJ are the rarest among the general population (~1%) , it's as rare as Asperger.

So what's INTJ (or INs in general) ? is INTJ (and other INs) another label of Asperger or it's vice-versa? Or are they 2 different ,yet correlated labels?

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 6:31 pm

I'm INTJ, but not on the Spectrum.

However, I do seem to have more autistic traits than someone who would be considered neurotypical. The Aspie Quiz and the AQ test both place me in the middle, weighted more towards autism than neurotypicalism.

From what I've seen on other forums, it seems pretty common for those on the Spectrum to be INTJ, so there is maybe a significant overlap.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 6:34 pm

INTJ topic

Reads like the A Type-Personality Profile.

Now Dan Aykroyd has another Dx. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 6:39 pm

ok just read this abstract I found in some forum, the user claims that it's an abstract of the Volume 66, Issue 12 (Dec 2006) of the JPT (Journal of Psychological Type).

http://www.capt.org/JPT/home.cfm?bhcp=1

Quote:
Asperger's Syndrome (AS) is a form of autism, which, in many cases, seems indistinguishable from certain of the Jungian/Myers-Briggs personality types. This article explores the relationship between AS and psychological type. Anecdotes on both sides of the question illuminate a review of the literature on AS and type. Direct and often conflicting quotations clarify and contrast these differing views of personality. There are three main findings: First, faulty diagnostic criteria for AS in combination with the pathological bias of contemporary psychology result in the mis diagnosis of the disorder in otherwise normal types. Next, where the diagnosis seems appropriate, poor type development is indicated. Finally, analysis suggests that individuals diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome have type preferences of I_TP, whereas mothers of children with the disorder prefer E_FJ.

I find this part very disturbing and leads to so many questions, have anyone heard of such study?

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 6:48 pm

i thought it was INFJ that was less than 1% of the world's population....i think that's what the page i read said anyway.....have to look it up on wiki lol

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Brig ... _Indicator

if you scroll down the page a bit there's a chart with percentages in the US population, and it's the smallest there....don't know about international percentages, though.....

just found this one, too http://www.personalitypage.com/INFJ.html

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 7:09 pm

I'm ESFJ. It doesn't get much more opposite than that.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 8:40 pm

I'm INFP. I still have AS. I'm barely a P, could be a J if I'd answered one or more questions differently. I'm an F because I think logically but don't always act logically.. sometimes I'm impulsive.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 3:24 am

Interesting topic. It's a question I've been wondering about for a while. My husband and I are both INFJs but he's more social than me, and although he does get very interested in certain things, it's not to the same depth that I do, i.e. obsessionally, so there is a difference. I would say also that although we're both Fs, I have noticed over the years that his feelings seem more 'reliable' than mine, I flick into 'thinking mode' much quicker, maybe to compensate. I wonder if AS affects the way, the depth maybe, that Aspie Fs feel, and use the feeling function.

crabdog62482
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2009, 4:23 am

I'm INTj. I'm always the minority on these tests. Funny story: E-harmony told me I'm not compatible with the rest of humanity, lol... I just made myself sad. :(

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 5:03 am

LePetitPrince wrote:
Stats show that the INTJ are the rarest among the general population (~1%) , it's as rare as Asperger.

Asperger is much more rare than that (0.25-0.3%).

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 6:29 am

Im ENTJ (like margerat thatcher lol lol)

I think that the INTJ personality is not strictly aspergers as many asperger people have other personlaity types but it highlights the issue that aspergers is not so much a real condition but a set of traits that have been grouped and labeled a condidtion.

I think autism spectrum disorders have only come to light in recent years as the population has grown and our society has become less tollerant of difference and more socially orientated. I think EQ type skills are valuable in a sociaty with so many people and so little space.

i think post psychiatry ( http://www.sharingvoices.org.uk/post-psychiatry.htm ) and neurodiversity is the answer.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 6:40 am

I've seen AS associated with INTP as well. That said the Myers-Briggs type indicators are, as far as I can tell, pseudoscientific rubbish. It'd be nice to know profoundly more about who I am and how I'd act based on how I answer a few questions, but I'm afraid that's just not what's going on here. Depending on my mood and the test I can get virtually any possible combination of types, with the exception of the T which is always far and away above the F.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 11:11 am

Yeah, there should be one. I'm diagnosed with AS and test for E. ES... FP? I think so.

Lightning88 wrote:
I'm ESFJ.

Cool! Another ESF, though J.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 11:23 am

I'm ISTP
is there quite a few people on this site too with that result?

cantexactlysay
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2009, 11:24 am

INTJ or any other Myers-Briggs personality type is not a diagnosis of a mental condition, as is AS. It's simply a classification of someone's personality type, hence the name. Technically, everyone should fall into one of the 16 MBTI personality profiles. Strangely enough, I know someone who was diagnosed with AS who I'd guess is a straight up ESTP car salesman type, go figure. :roll:

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 12:08 pm

It's possible that someone with a significant impairment and an INTJ or similar personality is more likely to get an AS diagnosis, while someone with a significant impairment and a radically different personality would get a different diagnosis. There is a relationship between personality and the type of diagnosis people get with respect to mental illness (different personalities break down in different ways), but with autism, it may be more likely that they see you better if you're a particular type and that more outgoing types are being misdiagnosed or missed. Also, INTJs may be overdiagnosed when some of the time there may not be any real impairment.