Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 11:41 pm

I've got an opportunity to play around with cross breeding plants. Just for fun.

So I am looking for a flower or something that reproduces sexually, and goes to seed quickly.

Any suggestions?

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 2:32 am

britney spears?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 3:04 am

:)

I knew I would pay a price for making jokes at your expense so many times!

But while Hollywood certainly is fecund, I'm interest in breeding hybrids, not mutants.

I'm more interested in breeding genetic lines than breeders like K.Federline.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 5:03 am

You could do worse than play with sweet peas. They worked for Mendel and formed the basis for understanding genetic crossing. Interesting subject.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 6:56 am

computerlove wrote:
britney spears?

that is what you get when you cross an iris with a white-trash-weed.

ruveyn

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 3:38 pm

TallyMan wrote:
You could do worse than play with sweet peas. They worked for Mendel and formed the basis for understanding genetic crossing. Interesting subject.

Yes it is an interesting subject. Its excellent for aspies love of structure. I considered Mendels peas, but their period is longer than the flower I have now, Zinnia.

Its ironic that computerlove would take my post off topic because I am growing a beautiful flower from his beautiful country. tisk tisk! :P

The Zinnia will sprout in 5-7 days, which is great. What I am hoping for is to find a species of flower that will produce seed very quickly. I am thinking that perhaps an arctic species might be worth looking for.

Once my first crop comes in I will decide on a few traits to select for, then do separated plantings based on that. Once I have a high degree of homogeny in each group, I will start crossing the groups, making a new lineage.

Its less science and more heavy selection.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 4:56 pm

stop stealing my plants!

I knew you had it. I have a camera recording what you do.
BTW, wear some pants :?

So it's just for fun? (the plant thing)