Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mozzie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Mar 2009, 6:55 am

hi everyone, seems it's my first post in here.. *_*

i have a question to you, especially to those people who study or studied art, painting, graphics.. etc...

i know, many people like art, many people like drawing, painting or being creative in some other way. but there are people who feel strong enough in their artistic skills to go to academy of art or attend some drawing/painting course. this is nothing unusual - if you're talented, you should improve your skills. but what happens if you are autistic/asperger's artist? do you have problems different than problems of other students? and, the most important, do you sometimes have a feeling that your non autistic classmates are more *reliable* in their art - the teachers say that all their works are good, while your works are the ones where *something* is missing?

i'm also an art student - this is my last year at university. i'm thinking of all those years spent with paints, pencils, inks and i don't regret anything. i'm also thinking of the hard work i had to put in everything. i had a lot of problems - sketching, seeing the proportions, seeing colours (i'm not colour blind, i simply find some colours extremely annoying...), and the most important thing - understanding what my teachers want.. it is not difficult, when teacher tells me - this is good, because.... this is bad because... but it is so f**king annoying when i hear things like - your paintings are too naive, it should speak to me and be more misspellt (WHAT???)... it always ends up with my argument with the teacher.. and then i get higher grade at the end of the year. i don't like fighting, but sometimes i have to.. do you have similar problems?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 1:06 pm

I fought my way through a couple of art schools and graduated with a better perspective of what much of it is about. But I probably learned more from my fellow students than from my instructors although there were a couple of good ones. Looking at art in museums and galleries is probably as good an education as one can get from any art school. Artists are individualists and it takes a good deal of experience and observation to get any depth out of this learning. Learning to work with different materials can be very revealing and great fun. You learn more from analysis than praise.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 2:27 pm

hi,...

I'm a art student as well. I've always enjoyed the arts and I get huge satisfaction from both making and understanding artworks. I have attended design schools and quit half way through since I was creating constantly but didn't know why or for what purpose.

I've studied graphical design, material design, packaging design and now I'm studying more in depth art history.
If there's one thing I've learned is that when a teacher says your artwork is incomplete (missing something) they often see greater potential in your work and that is their way of pushing you.

An artist shows the public his vision/interpretation of the world, in his/her personal way. Art cannot be bad nor good it lies in the eye of the beholder so to speak.

And yes I hate colors, when drawing I keep to black and white, when illustrating, colors is a must this is very mixed but I just think when digitalized colors are beautiful. I also enjoy building and creating with my hands it gives the sickest satisfying feeling.

EDIT:
I removed posted artworks and redirected them into the "Sticky: Display your Artwork" go check if you're curious. :)

:::)

Mozzie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Mar 2009, 3:48 pm

don't worry about the *peecock*, i love it :D

i also enjoy art, i enjoy being creative on many fields. i like drawing, i started to work with animations and also recently i started to design clothes.. anyway, what i wanted to say is that the biggest problem at school (and not only at school) is when someone tells me that i did sth wrong, but doesn't tell me what exactly.. another problem with my studies is a situation like - a teacher tells us to do something and says - be creative, be spontaneous, show me the vision of YOUR world.. after some time we bring the ready works, everyone is fine, but my work is not... the teacher doesn't like it and says that it's wrong.. how should i understand that? my world is wrong, i shouldn't be creative and.. the most important.. do the others have right to judge what my world looks like if they don't know it?? how is that?

i understand that no matter how talented the person is, they should work hard to keep their level high - i also work hard, although i've got some problems.. i still do, but i've learnt to *avoid* them somehow.

greater potential? i don't know, not in my case i guess - we are supposed to bring 3 paintings to our teacher, and when he accepts them, we bring them to the graduation exam. i brought 11 paintings to the teacher and... he didn't accept any of them :/ i brought my own vision and it was rejected.. and of course i still don't know what was wrong - he was talking for 30 minutes about some bullsh*t, comparing painting to falling in love after having sex and blah blah.. sorry, but it doesn't give me a clue what i did wrong...

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 4:15 pm

you're right he must be specific about what need to be changed, You can't go around guessing, and as your teacher he should guide you not shoot you down. I wanna see your work, is it possible?

I have AS and I can get really hurt by some comment, some words can really tear me to shreds but I've learned that's how they talk. I think you should ask the teacher what is lacking and then just listen to what he has to say (but don't let it bother you, the teacher is just human, one mans opinion.)

Van Gogh didn't sell crap during his life time and died a very miserable and sad man, years later people learned to relate and understand HIS world and now they will even kill each other to own a piece of it.

We are delicate beings but we are true, don't change your art if it feels wrong. Not for ANYONE! (ever!)

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 4:32 pm

post the 11 paintings your teacher rejected so we can get a better idea.

Mozzie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Mar 2009, 1:23 pm

i don't have those 11 paintings because some of them are already gone- i got mad and painted something else on them..

anyway, this is one of the new paintings - i made it yesterday and i hope the teacher won't reject it, because i like it (mostly because of a few colours used). the little dots around it were made with my old stocking ;)

CLICK HERE

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 1:54 pm

you have nothing to worry about I love it, and the way you use 1 color is insane. *thumbs up*

don't paint over the pictures.

You are very good, and the lemon is perfect.

Don't really see what your teacher is bitching about, maybe AS and NT don't pick up the same effect, it sure speaks to me * tranquility*.

:nerdy: