Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 5:46 pm

I've been called "slow" and other similar words so often that I can almost believe it.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 7:19 pm

I am called "Slow". I am slow to tell stories, slow to answer, slow to get jokes, slow to remember names..

Liresse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2009, 8:01 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Because we lack common sense, social skills, our emotions are below the age level.

I'm slow. Everyone says I'm not but I think I am.
I agree with this. The intricate workings of it is that I am going down 5 million irrelevant and confused paths of thought before I finally get to the right thing to say or think about, but in the end it's much easier just to say I'm slow.

I suppose I am quite happy to talk about being slow because there are all sorts of labels/names people give you, pleasantly or unpleasantly, medical or otherwise, and I take little or no offence at most of them.

Callista - I feel like I have global delay with a few specific areas of ability in between. But I have an AS diagnosis. Either I'm HF Kanner's, or autism consists mostly of exceptions!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 11:23 pm

Quote:
autism consists mostly of exceptions
This.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Draws
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Mar 2009, 7:44 am

I wouldn't say I'm slow, more so I just spend more time thinking about my responses to people in order to cover all grounds. If it's factual data I can bring it up right away, but anything of an opinion I have to think about it first to make sure I articulate it in the right way.

For physical reactions I am quite agile. Though I find myself doing things like reaching for the bathroom lightswitch to turn it off even if I never turned it on in the first place.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 9:25 am

What is the difference between careful and slow?

ruveyn

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2009, 11:34 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Well, when people say "slow", they're usually refering to someone with below-average intelligence (or it is assumed that the person if of below-average intelligence)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 11:51 am

I've been called "slow" before, even had a job where they wanted me to make dough for their rolls. I lasted three days. It was the toughest job for me, personally, even though the people training me didn't have a problem with tasking. All I could think about was physical pain. My feet were hurting, and so was my arms and my back. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. I am not cut out for that kind of work, no use decieving myself. It was too physically demanding and it was impossible for me to clean up all the flour when I was finished. I couln't live up to their meticulous standards of clean. So, the manager fired me, heh.

The key is to find your niche and work toward it. My mistake was being unfocused and thinking I could do anything. I found out quickly there are many things I am not good at despite all the brainwashing I'd recieved. If someone would have pushed me in the right direction...into something I had a genuine interest in (not rock science. Rock science, not rocket. My mom really believed I would be a geologist when I had absolutely no interest in it whatsoever and it was the most boring subject.) I would have been better off. Just find what you are interested in, realize a goal, and work toward that. Find people who will compliment you and support your efforts.

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2009, 1:11 pm

I've not been called slow, but I know I am in some areas. I am not good at thinking of quick witty replies to things - I find talking in real time (as opposed to writing, like here in a forum) quite daunting and I can often get muddled, because it's hard to focus simultaneously on what I'm saying, the act of talking, my tone of voice, how others are responding, etc. Because I can't multitask, I have to switch from one to the other, and it slows me down. And I don't process things on the spot very well when there are lots of different things going on - too much sensory information slows me down considerably.

But if I'm on my own, focusing on one thing (like doing maths problems, or reading a book, or writing something) I can be remarkably quick. And with many concepts, I can understand them instantly, without the need of an explanation. Often I get confused in lectures, because if I understand something automatically, the explanations that the lecturers give seem unnecessary and distracting.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Mar 2009, 1:55 pm

A substitute band director that was at the school where I teach last week came in my room. We used to play music together. He told me a joke and I didn't get it (I rarely get jokes). The class was laughing at it, but I was standing there trying to figure it out.

You know, that would have bothered me in the past---but not anymore. I am the way I am and that doesn't bother me. I am autistic and proud.

The NTs may not understand those of us who are autistic, and we may not understand them either. It is a difference.

But to answer the question, yes, I have been told in subtle ways that I am sometimes slow to pick up on things.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 9:28 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Neurotypical people are careful too. You are just slow at being careful.

Instead of being in denial about having a problem, admit you have one and try and fix it.

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Mar 2009, 10:03 pm

sbcmetroguy wrote:
Everyone is different. In fact, I often feel intellectually superior to the dolts around me, but at times I feel extremely slow, mentally, and I do not know why.

Same. Sometimes I feel like my brain takes absolutely forever to process information.

whilily
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Apr 2009, 12:40 am

same here
and i dont know how to explain why..

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Apr 2009, 1:03 am

I think I'm slow in a lot of areas, but pretty intelligent in others. Asperger's syndrome doesn't affect intelligence one way or the other though, so really we're the same as NT's in that regard. Some of us may be a bit slow while others may be geniuses.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2009, 1:38 am

irishwhistle wrote:
When I have a conversation, I need more time to think in order to respond accurately (as to my actual viewpoint) and intelligently. I don't consider myself a stupid woman as such, though I do not function well at many things others do. I don't perceive things others consider obvious. There are some things, jokes and other subtleties, that it has taken me years to understand. Really, years after hearing a thing, it will click. I remember thinking recently, "Wow, it took me 15 years to figure that out." Forgot what, but still. I often ask a person to repeat themselves only to finish processing what I heard the first time just before they repeat it. I hate having to call people because I can't even begin to know how they are responding to me if I can't see them, and they tend to get very impatient with me which makes me slower. I need very specific instructions for things if I've not done them before, or if another person wants me to do something (I don't like being called on mistakes, which I find most people assume to be caused by indifference or laziness). You can imagine how long I take to follow a recipe. I have to read and reread the instructions so many times! Sometimes I think the only thing I do quickly is forget stuff.

I'm just like this. Except I don't forget stuff easily.
It feels like I'm always playing catchup with the world. Something will happen, and I won't know how I feel about it until a day or a week later, by which time it's too late to do anything about it. Or when I'm reading a thread on WP, I won't know what I think about the issue being discussed straight away. Figuring out what I'm thinking takes a lot of time. It takes me longer to process stimuli than other people. Or maybe it takes the same time, but I am just dealing with so much more information that most others.

I think we perhaps seem slow because we process things in a different order to others. Perhaps.

I don't mind being called slow, even though I know that in many ways I am not slow at all. I suppose most people's opinions just don't bother me.

warface
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2009, 5:33 am

FYI this is one area where smoking weed doesnt help