Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 9:32 pm

I don't run from confrontation; I run to it. I have a passion for arguing and am aggressive by nature. I will not back down if I truly want something and I stubbornly struggle until I have it. Is this unusual for an Aspie?

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 9:40 pm

My impression is that it has nothing to do with autism. Some of us are like that, some of us are not. Although I'm not sure that a passion for arguing and stubborn struggle should be lumped together as the same thing, since some of us may shy away from arguing but still stubbornly struggle through.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 9:46 pm

I'm the exact opposite. I cower from confrontation. Shortly after 9/11, I couldn't even watch Cops on TV. When my wife scolds me or speaks up to me, I fold my hands and put them on my stomach. It's a body language thing which I've yet to learn exactly what it means.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 9:52 pm

Properly channeled aggression can be a good thing; especially if it's used to meet your goals or administer justice.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 9:53 pm

digger1 wrote:
I'm the exact opposite. I cower from confrontation. Shortly after 9/11, I couldn't even watch Cops on TV. When my wife scolds me or speaks up to me, I fold my hands and put them on my stomach. It's a body language thing which I've yet to learn exactly what it means.

Your body language clearly signifies submission, docility, and appeasement. You perceive your wife as a threat and your body language suggest that.

Ladarzak
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2009, 10:12 pm

timeisdead wrote:
I don't run from confrontation; I run to it. I have a passion for arguing and am aggressive by nature. I will not back down if I truly want something and I stubbornly struggle until I have it.

I'm totally like that. To a fault. Had to learn to pick my battles. Still learning, despite being in my 40s.

hester386
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2009, 10:24 pm

I’m with Digger on this one. I’ve always gone out of my way to avoid confrontation whenever humanly possible. I don’t even find the slightest hint of pleasure from arguing with anybody over anything.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 10:36 pm

I'm a hopeless coward.
And even when I do try to fight back, it's ineffective.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 10:59 pm

timeisdead wrote:
I don't run from confrontation; I run to it. I have a passion for arguing and am aggressive by nature. I will not back down if I truly want something and I stubbornly struggle until I have it. Is this unusual for an Aspie?

You'd fit right in in PPR.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 11:11 pm

Oh, there was a guy in my high school who had an imbalance with his endorphins which led him to seek out confrontations.

Don't know how legit it was but it might be something worth looking into if it gets you into trouble.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 11:31 pm

i do not like confrontation but can go there.
i would prefer peace, but if i beleive something is worth fighting for, i will fight for a cause.
I have not worked traditional jobs much in my life. cannot cope with the interactions and i cannot deal with the exchanges and working wht people.

However, on the rare occasions i have worked somehwere - say - a day a week or something - i end up being a whistleblower.
that has happened numerous times.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 11:34 pm

The unstopable object hitting the imovable object or however that old saying goes. Perfect source of energy, chaos and excitement.

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 4:42 am

timeisdead wrote:

If we were to start an argument or confrontation with each other, we would be there for at least 3 hours straight. My point bein that we're exactly the same.

ZodRau
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2009, 5:20 am

I don't back down, but I don't go looking for conflict either. I've found the easiest way to have it my way is to keep to myself.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 8:29 am

Orwell wrote:
You'd fit right in in PPR.
PPR? Must ask google. Portland Pattern Repositor. A French multinational holding company. Property & Portfolio Research. A Healthcare Staffing agency. Professional Photo Resources.
Prep Pigskin Report? Some kind of show about football.
There's a list of things it might be. http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/PPR.
Or maybe the simplest approach -- ppr.com. Nope, it's not in English. Something about a rendezvous, a planet, June 5... must be some new movie.

Oh. It's just a link to the WP forum, "Politics, Philosophy, and Religion."
Why didn't ya say so? (sigh.)

====================

digger1 wrote:
an imbalance with his endorphins which led him to seek out confrontations.
millie wrote:
i do not like confrontation but can go there. i would prefer peace, but if i believe some thing is worth fighting for, i will fight for a cause... i end up being a whistleblower...
Those are two, extreme opposite motives. Must be a deadly combination.

I think the natural-born whistle-blower is an Aspie thing. If you hate confrontation (Me, Digger, Hester) you might wimp out, but that doesn't make it go away. It just kills the interaction. In a typical conversation with lower life forms (not all NTs, just the really stupid ones) I see the self-contradictions, the constant pointless lies, the transparent self-serving logic, the never ending scams, the whole matrix of BS that is the foundation of human society, I can't get past them, I see the connections between the little scams and the medium scams and the huge scams and my head starts spinning about the fate of the world. Meanwhile, this as*hole has long since moved on to some other mindless drivel. There's no point in blowing the whistle about the stupid little things because this lower life form will never get it, but like the kid in "The 6th Sense" I can't get away from it. It's right there, in my face, every waking minute.

But keeping my mouth shut blows a fuse somewhere and I can't focus. I hate lies. I just want to crawl away and wait for the world to acquire some sanity.

Last edited by Tahitiii on 20 Mar 2009, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 8:34 am

I'm pretty good at handling conflict directly and assertively, not aggressively. But, if someone is mad at me and I know it, I will avoid them.

AS BF is different. If he has a grudge against someone, he will NOT speak out, but avoid the person indefinitely. But, if someone is screwing with him, he will have it out with them and do as good a job as a rabid lawyer.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!