Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 4:36 pm

Hold off awhile and wait for the new DSM. One of two things might happen. You are HFA or 'Normal'. I'm not sure which case is worse. It depends on your particular mindset.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 4:42 pm

garyww wrote:
Hold off awhile and wait for the new DSM. One of two things might happen. You are HFA or 'Normal'. I'm not sure which case is worse. It depends on your particular mindset.

I do need the services I get, so being normal by diagnosis would not be a good thing for me.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 6:31 pm

Interesting thread. The conflict you're having now is one professionals are arguing and with the next DSM, there is debate as to whether or not Aspergers should be listed seperate from autism spectrum disorders. So, it would be classified as a social disability rather than an ASD.

I think expectations of "aspies" are high despite the impairments. Maybe this is what you're encountering. Aspies might have high IQ's sometimes impressively high, and they speak smartly, but they have issues that make it difficult to function, organize and socialize. It's not that they don't want to, but it comes out wrong. You would not be more autistic based on the way you describe your desire to be with people and connect. This is one distinguishing feature of Aspergers, that the indivdual desires to connect with others but it is often awkward or superficially received. Someone with autism, on the other hand, is more aloof and feels less need to connect to other people.

Sorry to diappoint you, but you sound like an aspie. Even your rejection of a stereotypical understanding of you is more aligned with an aspies single-mindedness.

I think you should bank on your gifts and talents and go for whatever you are most interested inpurusing. If it's not technology, so be it.

best,

equinn

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 7:46 pm

equinn wrote:
Interesting thread. The conflict you're having now is one professionals are arguing and with the next DSM, there is debate as to whether or not Aspergers should be listed seperate from autism spectrum disorders. So, it would be classified as a social disability rather than an ASD.

I think expectations of "aspies" are high despite the impairments. Maybe this is what you're encountering. Aspies might have high IQ's sometimes impressively high, and they speak smartly, but they have issues that make it difficult to function, organize and socialize. It's not that they don't want to, but it comes out wrong. You would not be more autistic based on the way you describe your desire to be with people and connect. This is one distinguishing feature of Aspergers, that the indivdual desires to connect with others but it is often awkward or superficially received. Someone with autism, on the other hand, is more aloof and feels less need to connect to other people.

Sorry to diappoint you, but you sound like an aspie. Even your rejection of a stereotypical understanding of you is more aligned with an aspies single-mindedness.

I think you should bank on your gifts and talents and go for whatever you are most interested inpurusing. If it's not technology, so be it.

best,

equinn

My social interaction really isn't different from the autie next door. I seek intellectual exchange from people, not social exchange, and all my conversations reflect that.

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2009, 9:09 pm

i actually know somebody who has asperger's that think they might be high functioning autisic its funny i thought they were both the same thing so i was confused how somebody could misdiagnose you.