Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AlMightyAl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2009, 2:33 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
AlMightyAl wrote:

Coincidentally on our way back we found a 10 dollar bill on the floor. I guess karma really does work. Although I let him have it since he was the one who pointed at it.

Here's something to think about. Leaving the $10 at the office in case someone comes back frantically looking for it. Believe it or not, that is what I would have done.

It becomes yours when no one inquires after it.

Not to say you MUST do that to consider yourself "ethical." But to give you something to think about on your road of self-development.

I am glad that you did the right thing about the fire.

Yeah we thought about that, but I mean if they said "Did someone lose 10 dollars" over the intercom everyone would go and claim it.
Besides it was quite a bit aways from the school, so I don't even know if it was a student. Besides, kids at my school bring freaking 30 dollars to school everyday and wouldn't really care about 10 bucks.

We just said "Whatever, its just 10 dollars."

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 7:27 pm

Maybe you're wondering what I've been wondering about my daughter...

Why does she KEEP lying when she's so BAD at it that she gets caught EVERY time and gets PUNISHED FOR IT!! !

HELLO?

Sorry about the all caps. I'm getting fed up.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

mrripples
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2009, 9:40 am

My 15 yoa AS stepson lies about EVERYTHING. We have talked about the boy who cried wolf. We haved talked about how the lies affect others. We have talked about consequences. We have told him, for example, that we will be emailing the teacher, and the truth will come out. It doesn't matter--he will lie up until the last possible second. We are specific in our questions, so he can not convince himself of something else. Even when he suffers the consequences, he still can not associate that they are because of his lie--and his choice to lie. He can't make the connection that his choice of actions will result in consequences. He does not see that continuing bad behavior after being specifically warned is a choice. Some may say that the behavior is not a 'choice', and we should make allolwance. But an employer and others in life will see it as a choice (as do we), therefore we will continue to use that word. We believe that eventually he will see the connection. He may not understand or agree with it, but he will see it.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 12:13 pm

irishwhistle wrote:

Why does she KEEP lying when she's so BAD at it that she gets caught EVERY time and gets PUNISHED FOR IT!! !

HELLO?

That fantasy v. reality thing? If I want it to be so, maybe it will become so?

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 2:55 pm

mrripples wrote:
My 15 yoa AS stepson lies about EVERYTHING. We have talked about the boy who cried wolf. We haved talked about how the lies affect others. We have talked about consequences. We have told him, for example, that we will be emailing the teacher, and the truth will come out. It doesn't matter--he will lie up until the last possible second. We are specific in our questions, so he can not convince himself of something else. Even when he suffers the consequences, he still can not associate that they are because of his lie--and his choice to lie. He can't make the connection that his choice of actions will result in consequences. He does not see that continuing bad behavior after being specifically warned is a choice. Some may say that the behavior is not a 'choice', and we should make allolwance. But an employer and others in life will see it as a choice (as do we), therefore we will continue to use that word. We believe that eventually he will see the connection. He may not understand or agree with it, but he will see it.
I think he lied up until the last possible second because he lied so as not to get into trouble and wanted to get into trouble for what he did later rather than sooner, and that's less time he'd have being in trouble, even if it's just a second. He believed he would not be caught lying.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 11:30 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
irishwhistle wrote:

HELLO?

That fantasy v. reality thing? If I want it to be so, maybe it will become so?

LOL, could be. She has always tended to write reality to her specs and disregard anything that fell out of line with it. What puzzles me is the apparent peace she feels with life afterward. When I was a kid, if I had stepped out of line and no one had caught me, I was a mess waiting for the axe to fall when I got busted.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.