Are many people misdiagnosed with Asperger's?

Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2010, 4:09 pm

league girl:

I say I have AS because that's my diagnosis and because if I ever tell anyone outside family, I think they won't believe me if I say autism. But in reality, I think I have autism, not AS or HFA or LFA. I have autism, with certain specific traits that I can't distinguish from my personality and because of that I can't define myself any more narrowly than that. To be honest I also think those definitions are rather arbitrary.

If I had to choose a term though, I'd prefer HFA. I don't think calling the better adapted individuals on the spectrum by a completely different name, such as Asperger's, does anyone any good, it makes it sound like it's a completely unrelated condition. It makes AS-problems smaller than they are and makes it more difficult for NT's to realize that autistic people are not some exotic species or a particular brand of hopeless people, but rather fellow men and women who are on a sliding scale of varying degrees of impairments in three key areas.

Sorry, rant alert again. :roll:

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 4:33 pm

I think more people with AS are diagnosed with stuff they don't have. I can't back that view up with research or anything, that's just my opinion. Before being diagnosed as AS, psychologists/doctors played around with diagnoses of generalized anxiety disorder, depression, OCD, PTSD, stuff like that. I just recently got an AS diagnoses. I dated a guy who I'm fairly certain is AS, but he was diagnosed with BPD. I feel that he was misdiagnosed as well.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 6:43 pm

I read something just yesterday (unfortunately, I don't have a link) that said that the DSM is designed for researchers, not for those treat people. So, the categories and diagnostic criteria are designed for helping to study these disorders, not for helping people deal with and/or overcome these disorders. It also says the upcoming one will be more friendly to those in the treatment business. (I think it used the word clinicians, as contrasted with researchers.)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 6:59 pm

I'm going to say something controversial and say that I think MOST Asperger's diagnoses are misdiagnosed.

My diagnosis is Asperger's. It was technically a misdiagnosis because I had problems with adaptive skills and conversational speech; but because I was diagnosed only after I had caught up on the ones NTs learn by the age of twelve, this was missed.

The correct diagnosis should've been PDD-NOS. In childhood, it would have been Autistic Disorder; but by the time I was ten, the language issues had sorted themselves out and I had learned to use language flexibly and in a conversation. So, by the time I was diagnosed, at 20, Autistic Disorder should have turned to PDD-NOS (unless you use the strictest interpretation, in which case it is still Autistic Disorder because I still lack "social reciprocity"--i.e., I have never had a friendship that the other person did not maintain almost single-handedly.)

This doesn't particularly bother me any more than the general messiness of autism diagnosis does, because I've been able to get the help I need with the Asperger's label, and because while I may not technically be Asperger's, it seems to me that most people who are labeled Asperger's aren't technically Asperger's any more than I am. Odd or even delayed speech, adaptive skills delays, and various other factors knock them out of the AS category.

So... Most AS cases are misdiagnosed--not because the person is not on the Spectrum, but because, the way the criteria are written, he is a non-Asperger's autistic. AS is really more of a stereotype than a legitimate diagnostic category.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 7:51 pm

Callista wrote:
I'm going to say something controversial and say that I think MOST Asperger's diagnoses are misdiagnosed.

My diagnosis is Asperger's. It was technically a misdiagnosis because I had problems with adaptive skills and conversational speech; but because I was diagnosed only after I had caught up on the ones NTs learn by the age of twelve, this was missed.

The correct diagnosis should've been PDD-NOS. In childhood, it would have been Autistic Disorder; but by the time I was ten, the language issues had sorted themselves out and I had learned to use language flexibly and in a conversation. So, by the time I was diagnosed, at 20, Autistic Disorder should have turned to PDD-NOS (unless you use the strictest interpretation, in which case it is still Autistic Disorder because I still lack "social reciprocity"--i.e., I have never had a friendship that the other person did not maintain almost single-handedly.)

This doesn't particularly bother me any more than the general messiness of autism diagnosis does, because I've been able to get the help I need with the Asperger's label, and because while I may not technically be Asperger's, it seems to me that most people who are labeled Asperger's aren't technically Asperger's any more than I am. Odd or even delayed speech, adaptive skills delays, and various other factors knock them out of the AS category.

So... Most AS cases are misdiagnosed--not because the person is not on the Spectrum, but because, the way the criteria are written, he is a non-Asperger's autistic. AS is really more of a stereotype than a legitimate diagnostic category.

Agreed, and same here. But my diagnosis isn't Asperger's.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 7:58 pm

My diagnoses should have been PDD-NOS but my diagnoses is AS.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 1:42 pm

I am a wonderful cook and an excellent driver. My AS is most detectable when dealing with people and in social situations, in all other situations I am actually quite talented, except when it comes to doing arithmatic in my head. On the phone, I am an excellent communicator. In person, I am lousy at it.
I am also obsessive and find switching gears on a mental level difficult.
As a child, I had no cognitive delays whatsoever.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 1:55 pm

I've sometimes wondered if my AS is actually just really mild autism or something. Because I DID have speech delays, I DID have self help delays and things like that. I also don't fit the "spocky" left brained stereotype of AS, I'm more the right brained HFA type if anything.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 4:37 am

timeisdead wrote:
Quote:
.There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years).

Quote:
E.There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction), and curiosity about the environment
in childhood.

I believe many are misdiagnosed because both of these are prerequisites to having AS according to the DSM-IV. Many who claim to have AS, however, claim to be unable to drive, unable to cook, or even have trouble dressing themselves. Many also claim to have a language delay, which goes against the AS diagnostic criteria.

Well, I had a friend who was first diagnosed with autistic disorder (he started using words at the age of 4) and he currently has the diagnosis of aspergers he's actually higher functioning than I am and my delays were not as bad (though my delays still got me and original diagnosis of autistic disorder). My current DX is also AS I believe we were diagnosed as such because our profile of needs better suits the general needs of someone with mild autism I think that's how AS is diagnosed in a lot of people I honestly hope that they just do away with these stupid destinctions considering that not everyone diagnosed with AS had no speech delay and has age appropriate self help skills (most aspies that I know of can barely take care of themselves and this is not just applicable in a social situation).

But this whole AS and HFA thing, to me, is simply splitting hairs. It's pointless. A diagnosis should be based on your personal needs.

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Many also claim to have a language delay, which goes against the AS diagnostic criteria

They think mine was more select mutism (I was verbal to only 2 people) then it was a language delay. I had a good vocabulary when talking to those 2 people.

However, PDD-NOS might be a better diagnosis for me. I don't think I am that impaired by the repeated or stereotyped patterns of behavior. But maybe I was 12 years ago when they changed my diagnosis to AS?

Muzey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Apr 2012, 10:37 pm

I have recently re-reviewed my results of my Aspergers Diagnoses and I cant help but wonder about my diagnoses. I was tested back in 2008 and I am 23 years old now. It is a bit late for me to get into details now but lets just say I debate the psychiatrist/doctor I went to. My sister is High Functioning Autism and I know she is. Me on the other hand.. I feel like some days yes and some days no.. I don't know. I am gonna look into it. It's especially weird sometimes cause people tell me that they don't really see anything wrong with me. (Until I start talking to myself then it gets a lil weird (I don't hear voices, I actually some times have scenarios in my head that I have to play out or sometimes i have to hear what I am thinking other wise I feel I am not thinking sometimes.)) I don't know maybe I am just weird.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 11:21 pm

alienesque wrote:
sketches wrote:
It really varies, apparently.

When I joined these forums, I entered feeling I'd be able to relate since I was officially diagnosed with a minor degree of Asperger's earlier this year. But now I think that I would have been able to relate to everyone here from, maybe, when I was in elementary school to the beginning of high school. My thoughts on this are:

a.) I "grew" out of it.
b.) Therapy taught me very, very well (plus, I have a very social job).
c.) I was misdiagnosed.

Half of the Asperger's symptoms don't apply to me at all, but the other half are major parts of my life. So, I can't really tell right now. Maybe I should go for a re-test?

You are smart, I like you. That's very much the case. I suspect you will find that you are indeed an Aspie, but one who has acquired new NT behaviors. Adaptation is the answer to many of the issues. I also 'grew out' of them. Behavioral Traits are learned traits.

The problem with too many Aspies, and others who claim to be Aspies, is that they shun the NT world and seek no improvement. It is pointless choosing to sit at home by yourself and saying you have no friends and don't want any. This seems to be a convenient crutch for a lot of Aspies.

I have studied Psychology, so here's my take on this. Misdiagnosis is common and 'convenient' for some. Resignation to one's symptoms is a cop-out. Improvement and Self-Development takes work. Aspies who want to be part of this world, have to push the boat out further.

I posit that it is INEXPERIENCE which causes the Social Retardation associated with AS; without acquiring this experience there can be no NEW social behaviour traits. There is only way to overcome a fear of something and that is to go out and do it. Go out and make it something you have done, and you will no longer fear it. This also applies to social skills. Learned skills and the techniques of Vizualisation, is what rewires the brain, but you have to make a point of doing this and affecting this change. I did it, so can others.
8)

I agree with what you're saying and also with waht Sketches said.

I am almost certain I would have been diagnosed in elementary and some of middle school, by 8th grade though I had really adopted some NT traits.

I do see Aspies here who are comfortable with the fact that they have adapted and feel no need to shun the NT world (which is, let's face it, just "the world").

All of that being said though, some on the spectrum can't. I see the Aspies here who have a foot in both camps as some others have said and some who lack wiring to become anything close to NT, I think it's useful for both groups to be able to accept themselves as they are without feeling like they should shun one side or the other. In the case of Aspies who never really adapt, I'm very impressed when they make a successful life for themselves that is still true to their autistic traits.

HDTV...

Whatever.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 11:37 pm

MONKEY wrote:
I've sometimes wondered if my AS is actually just really mild autism or something. Because I DID have speech delays, I DID have self help delays and things like that. I also don't fit the "spocky" left brained stereotype of AS, I'm more the right brained HFA type if anything.

Interesting you should say this and that I never made the connection.

It's not a wonder the left brain dominant folks don't have speech delays. Left brain is more associated with speech than the right brain. Even NT individuals who are predominatly right-brained (and left handed) are known to be quiet , artistic types. No doubt some of them think in pictures like autistics do.

Makes me wonder about the high number of very visual Aspies though, since visual thinking is most strongly associated with the right brain.

HDTV...

Whatever.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

22 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm

Children who exhibit autistic features, or who are diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, are not necessarily autistic.
Some of these misdiagnosed children employ autistic defenses to protect themselves against abuse or neglect, keeping outsiders,
even those close to them, at a safe distance.

A conservative estimate is that around 30% of people on the spectrum may have co-morbid conditions. Those with untreated bipolar run a 15-20% risk of committing suicide. A range of personality disorders can also occur in people with autism, especially Avoidant, Schizoid, Schizotypal and Dependent personality disorders and more recently a number of books have addressed Narcissistic personality disorder in children to distinguish it from Asperger's without co-occurring NPD. There are also dissociative disorders such as depersonalisation, derealisation, dissociation which those with autism experience more commonly than the general population and which may predispose them to things like Exposure Anxiety, and, under circumstances like chronic bullying, PTSD.

Children are rarely diagnosed with a personality disorder.

Gut brain connection and aspergers.

You CAN rewire your brain! It is a fact! Not a dispute, or an argument!

(It is superimportant to know, and understand you, and your surroundings.) I'm out!

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Bruce Lee.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 12:26 pm

I had a language delay when younger and was diagnosed recently with autism spectrum disorder and for some reason, patially having traits of aspergers. I'm not sure how it works that I'm diagnosed as being on the spectrum but not aspergers.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 12:31 pm

I definitely agree that you can adapt and improve with practice, especially social skills. If you don't practice you cannot get better. It's the same with anything though because the more you do something the easier it becomes

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.