Hurting one side of ur body cause the other side hurts too??

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 12:07 am

Ok my whole entire life i noticed i do this... If lets say i have a muscle ache in my right hip i beat the crap out of the left hip to make the pain equal, or lets say my head on the right side hurts that means i gotta either punch or slam my head on the side to make it equal or the same, i dont know why i do this but the pain has to be equal on both sides. Im very huge on this too, if my side of my stomach hurts i punch the other side to make them both hurt so therefore i dont care about either pain then. Wierd i know but even did this when i was a baby alwayss have. anybody else hurt one side of the other body because the other side is hurting as well :?:

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 1:10 am

It does make it easier to not feel the part that is hurting if you hit some other part to focus your attention on that. I don't do that, but if my thigh is hurting I'll slap that same thigh to disrupt the pain message to my brain. Oddly enough, it does work for me. I'm glad you've found something that works for you.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 1:28 am

It's not quite the same as what you're saying but if I have a pain somewhere I often intentionally hurt myself in some other way to take the focus off the first pain. I can't stand pain that's out of my control but I can deal with self inflicted pain.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 12:09 pm

I have never done that with pain, but sometimes, mostly as a kid, if I had touched, say, a wall with the one hand, I would touch the wall with the other hand too, it was like I could feel that something wasn't "right" in the other hand if it didn't touch also.
Or I would tread on a stone randomly with one foot and then do the same with the other one to get a sense of equality.

sjamaan
Raven
Raven

10 Apr 2009, 12:15 pm

Generally I don't, but when I was a kid I used to get headaches all the time. When it became too much to bear I would press my nail into my forehead (not drawing blood), which hurt a bit but in a good way. This took the edge off the headache itself.

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 12:34 pm

A similar problem- I usually have a tender spot near my right hip. I don't often feel it on my left.

Amicitia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2009, 1:33 pm

Similar to AnnePande. If I do something on one side (on purpose or by accident), then I'm sometimes compelled to do it on the other side, or the side that didn't do it will have a sense of "absence".

I don't spin, but when I turn I like to do it alternately so I'm not going in circles. Like, if I paced, I would turn to the right at one end and to the left at the other end. Otherwise I get a feeling of being "wound" (as if I'm on a string), and want to turn an equal number of times in the opposite direction to "unwind".

This isn't a problem, as long as I don't walk up too many spiral staircases. :lol:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 1:33 pm

It is called referred pain. The well know "ice cream headache" is an example.

ruveyn

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 1:57 pm

thanks everybody for replying, yea i do it big time, i literally pound into myself, glad to hear some ppl do stuff similiar to me and that im not alone hehe.. also i never heard of the term referred pain that sounds interesting.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 2:42 pm

Interesting--I've heard of this with OCD; do you have any OCD traits? But then, a need for symmetry is really big in autism, too, so I'm not really going to label you OCD too!

It doesn't sound all that weird to me, though I've never experienced it; I like symmetry, too. That's why prime numbers annoy me so much--the only symmetrical arrangement you can make with them is a long string.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 2:46 pm

Callista wrote:
Interesting--I've heard of this with OCD; do you have any OCD traits? But then, a need for symmetry is really big in autism, too, so I'm not really going to label you OCD too!

It doesn't sound all that weird to me, though I've never experienced it; I like symmetry, too. That's why prime numbers annoy me so much--the only symmetrical arrangement you can make with them is a long string.

yea i have ocd traits but i dont do rituals or have to have things in order just with pain i have to equal it out idk why guess i got ocd about self injurios behaviors haha. what is symmetry? sorry if thats a weird question but im so stupid when it comes to big words like those haha.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 3:18 pm

Symmetry is visual-spatial order.

For example, the letter "H" is symmetrical. The right and left sides are the same, mirror-images of each other. The letter "O" is even more symmetrical. It's the same no matter which way you turn it. If you can draw a line on it and the two sides of that line are the same, or if you can rotate it and have it look the same before you've made a full turn, then it's symmetrical.

Mathematical equations can have symmetry, too; it's seen most easily when you graph them, but you can figure it out numerically.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 3:22 pm

Callista wrote:
Symmetry is visual-spatial order.

For example, the letter "H" is symmetrical. The right and left sides are the same, mirror-images of each other. The letter "O" is even more symmetrical. It's the same no matter which way you turn it. If you can draw a line on it and the two sides of that line are the same, or if you can rotate it and have it look the same before you've made a full turn, then it's symmetrical.

Mathematical equations can have symmetry, too; it's seen most easily when you graph them, but you can figure it out numerically.

wow thank u, ur really smart hehe, but i dont do it jsut for visual i do it for to feel it, its weird when i was younger if i sprained one ankle i tried to sprain the other because the pain on one side of the body threw me off completely, its probably ocd and sensory related somehow someway, but anwyays thanks, thats very interesting, i just learned soemthing new hehe.

justintime
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jan 2011, 10:18 am

Ok, I would really like to know if any one has this or know what it is, lets say I've got a cut or a burn on my left hand between the thumb and my trigger finger, when i'm not thinking about it I can feel the exact hurt on the opposite hand. been that way my whole life, thought it was normal until I mention it to some one who thought I was a little nuts.

Epiphany28
Raven
Raven

07 Jan 2011, 11:46 am

Last edited by Epiphany28 on 07 Jan 2011, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 12:23 pm

justintime wrote:
Ok, I would really like to know if any one has this or know what it is, lets say I've got a cut or a burn on my left hand between the thumb and my trigger finger, when i'm not thinking about it I can feel the exact hurt on the opposite hand. been that way my whole life, thought it was normal until I mention it to some one who thought I was a little nuts.

i have that too, not sure i feel the wound, i do feel the absence of wound as if my skin had gone hypersensitive in the corresponding spot....But then again i have weird things related to feeling. For instance i can give myself a backrub with my mind LOL, lie down, relax, and feel some hands rubbing your back just the way you need it to be done. And it works. I can crack my spine that way too, apply imaginary pressure at the right spot, breathe in deeply, and it cracks. I know i'm strange though.