Never have been bullied at school before

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 9:00 pm

jimmister wrote:
Okay, I am one of the lucky few aspies who never been bullied at school that I know of my entire life. Maybe I have been bullied a bit online, but this doesn't really matter to me. And, I just hate having the "more of a chance of being bullied and abused" title.

That is good news and it is bad news. It is good news because you have not been subject to the pain of oppression by bullies. It is bad news because you have not had to learn how to cope with being bullied. My adaptation was to learn to fight very dirty. After I broke some arms my tormentors finally let me be.

Every blow that does not break my back or kills me makes me stronger.

ruveyn

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 9:11 pm

pensieve wrote:
I just had a few people hating me at school for no apparent reason. I once got into a fight with some boys when I was like 5 but that was it.

I never understood why I was as badly bullied as I was, and for so long. I was never violent, and always nice to everyone, mostly just vague and in a book. And even when I was diagnosed they said I was "mild".

My earliest memory of being bullied was when I was in kindergarten when i went over to the girls and asked to play barbies with them and they said no and then said nasty things I couldn't hear and laughed at me. I must've been 3 or 4. I played by myself in the middle of the playground with the boys on one side, and the girls on the other.

Throughout my childhood I had been ostracized, mocked, hit, had stuff thrown at me and my hair pulled, excluded, and encircled. As I got older I would manage to make a friend, only to have that friend turn on me and tell me they hated me. Most of the bullying I had was from girls, and was verbal and emotional. I found the physical bullying much less hurtful and damaging.

I think it's important that people who managed to get through school without being bullied should share their experiences, and how they managed to fit in despite their differences. It could help people on WP who are still at school and in the same position I was and so many others of us were at that age. I want to become a psychologist and help prevent bullying because it's something that should never have to happen to anyone. I have known people who were as badly bullied as me, and much worse, who have been so psychologically scarred from their experiences they have been damaged for life.

I don't know how I managed to come out of the other end as normal and well adapted as I am, but I think it's partly due to my ability to block out bad memories. But subconsciously this sort of stuff still affects you every day - it makes you paranoid, and sometimes I feel surges of hate towards my friends or people around me for no logical reason.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 9:19 pm

I think I was bullied very little because I didn't have nor wanted friends. I was content to be on my own. I often walked around the school barely talking to anybody. There were a few times people would come up and talk to me, but these were people that liked me. Some were a little older than me. After a few minutes of talking I'd wander off again.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

14 Apr 2009, 9:52 pm

as everyone has already said, lucky you! i can remember being bullyied from about the 5th grade all the way until i dropped out. i even changed highschools the bullying was so bad, skipped lunch most of the times just to hang out in the library so i was out of sight, out of mind. school was an absolute nitemare for me :lol:

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 10:49 pm

sunshower wrote:
SoulcakeDuck wrote:
I was bullied by this big guy in high school, I think he liked me because he kept hitting me between the legs gently as he wanted to feel whatever I had down there. Anyways I could see in his eyes that he was very sad and I could notice a certain glimpse of chaos within him, he had crazy eyes. One day we got into a fight he hit me and I pretended to hit him and I punched in the air in front of his face deliberately because even though I know how to fight, I have this inner voice telling me "NO!". After our clash I took a look at him and thought; Something bad is going to happen to you...

6 months ago I found out he had developed a major cocaine addiction, built up a huge debt, fled to Spain but they found him and hanged him by the neck with fishing lines.

I do not wish to speak ill of the dead, but facts are facts and karma is a b***h.

Wow, that's quite a story. I never knew what became of the different people that bullied me over the years. You should write an actual story about it, I would read it, for one.

I got bullied (psychologicaly) by another guy in my class as well but I was way bigger than him an my ignoring him really pissed him off, + he showed to be gay years later, I saw him on a bus ones and he looked terrible, not cuz of the gay part but he did look sad and when he saw me I could tell he felt ashamed cuz he held his head down, I don't ponder over old events, I usually just move forward living in the now. Pondering over the past and what could have been is totally useless. People who do bad things will get it sooner or later.

I R HAPPEY. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSpCf8-AE94[/youtube]

:::)

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 11:45 pm

jimmister wrote:
Okay, I am one of the lucky few aspies who never been bullied at school that I know of my entire life. Maybe I have been bullied a bit online, but this doesn't really matter to me. And, I just hate having the "more of a chance of being bullied and abused" title.

So what's your point? My better nature wants to congratulate you for having dodged the bullet, but I other than that, I find the post fairly irritating. I had always considered "more of a chance" to be conservative. I spent years, solid years of my life with almost no friends at all and absolutely none in my classes. Most of the people in my classes in junior high made fun of me. That's right, I didn't have a bully, I was the one everyone looked for when they wanted someone to make fun of. For YEARS. I only once or twice got hit, but when I was, no one gave a crap about that either. If I cried they all of a sudden got all worried and had the bone-crushing stupidity or utter ruthless audacity to ask me what was the matter. It was probably for the benefit of the teacher. And it wasn't necessary because the teachers hated me, too. Some of them even helped make fun of me. Apparently my issues represented a personal attack upon their teaching even though their classes were full of disrespectful little snots. And because I had issues, yes, I admit that, because I had parents who barely had time to raise a normal child much less me, I was targeted by the teachers and administration as the problem instead of the rampant bloody-mindedness that was considered a normal part of growing up. And after being persecuted by my so-called peers I spent time in the offices of incompetent counselors and social workers who had no idea what was wrong and screwed up in countless ways before my mom gave up on them. And my siblings left home, one by one, and I grew more and more accustomed to being alone. And now, even though I am married and have kids, I am happiest when I'm alone. Does that sound healthy?

I really am glad that one of us managed to escape this. I question why it is that you mention it.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

Mr_M
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2009, 12:13 am

I think i can say that luckily i've never really been bullied at school or work either.
Im kinda curious as to if you went to a public or private school?

I'm guessing the reason that i have never been bullied was that i went to a small private school from grade 2-8 and had roughly the same 10-12 classmates througout the years. Because of that i belive i can say that we were, to a varing degree, all frends and knew each other well by grade 8.
When we eventually "graduated" from there 12 of us went to the same private school for grades 9-12. Pushing our class to 26 people.

Not saying it was always easy or not stressful, especially grades 9-12. Just that i was never bullied.
(also i didnt, and probably still dont, talk too much unless someone has asked me a question.)

jimmister
Raven
Raven

15 Apr 2009, 2:43 pm

Mr_M wrote:
I think i can say that luckily i've never really been bullied at school or work either.

I'm guessing the reason that i have never been bullied was that i went to a small private school from grade 2-8 and had roughly the same 10-12 classmates througout the years. Because of that i belive i can say that we were, to a varing degree, all frends and knew each other well by grade 8.
When we eventually "graduated" from there 12 of us went to the same private school for grades 9-12. Pushing our class to 26 people.

Not saying it was always easy or not stressful, especially grades 9-12. Just that i was never bullied.
(also i didnt, and probably still dont, talk too much unless someone has asked me a question.)

Well, when I was 2, I started early intervention. I took classes in K-8 grades at a private Catholic school. From 9th grade onward (I am in 10th now), I was sent to a public school. My mom wants me to be more academic, more social, so she is pushing to get me into a regular ed class by next year (Okay, it still has some support, but the kids in there are more NT-like). I personally didn't care much for special ed anyways.

Mr_M
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2009, 3:35 pm

jimmister wrote:
Mr_M wrote:

Well, when I was 2, I started early intervention. I took classes in K-8 grades at a private Catholic school. From 9th grade onward (I am in 10th now), I was sent to a public school. My mom wants me to be more academic, more social, so she is pushing to get me into a regular ed class by next year (Okay, it still has some support, but the kids in there are more NT-like). I personally didn't care much for special ed anyways.

Both of the schools i went to were also christian schools, so i havent really been to any public schools.
Since i was first diagnosed when i was in grade 5 i never really was in any special ed classes, they tried something in grade 7 where for one of the classes in the day i was with the special ed teacher doing basically whatever. I remember he was helping with the school yearbook and so i ended up scanning pictures and stuff into the computer occationally. That whole special ed class only lasted a few months though. I have never really been in any designated special ed class other than that.

I do know that from my origonal school 2 people were wernt quite NT. One of them had ADHD and the other person had a learning disorder and possibly a bit of ADHD as well. The majority of the class at my other school were basically all NT as well. there were only a hadfull of us who werent. one person had tourettes, there were two aspies (including me), and the person from my origonal school who had ADHD. Even though it was probably a bit more stressfull that a special ed class i preferrd being in a regular class. It also probably helped that i was with the same 12 people for about 10 years. Also made makeing friends and most of everthing else much smoother at the new school.

Also i didnt really like the special ed teachers from either schools, although one of the sp ed teachers from the second school was fairly good looking.... :D

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2009, 3:53 pm

I used to get bullied every day at school until people started thinking I'm crazy. For some reason they think I'm going to bring a bomb to school or something like that. It's funny because I wouldn't hurt anyone.

I don't think that all people with AS get bullied in school. I think some are just ignored.

Eventually, I guess everyone will get bullied. If you don't become one, you will probably be attacked by one. If you become one, you will get attacked by someone bigger than you.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2009, 5:59 pm

jimmister wrote:
Mr_M wrote:

OK, THAT might explain why you weren't bullied! A special ed catholic school? They might actually try to do right by YOU. MOST schools, at least in the US, JUST DON'T CARE!! !! !! !! Just yesterday(as I recall) I heard about a guy that was persecuted because his schoolmates thought he was homosexual. His mother spoke with the school, and they said that they had a zero bullying policy. ********BULL********!

The FACT is that schools generally don't care, teachers don't care, and may even be ENCOURAGED to encourage it. Students won't generally report it, because THEY will then be hurt. This has been going on for at least several decades, and probably millenia. Look at "leave it to beaver"! A lot of flaming liberals say that is too idealistic, and utopian, yet, EVEN THERE, beaver was bullied!

So HOW do I know about that boy? He was on the news because he tied an extension cord around his neck, jumped out of the second floor window of his home, and was strangled to death. He just couldn't take the bullying anymore.

BTW they said it was ironic that, if it were a racist taunt, it wouldn't have been tolerated! He was black and, obviously, his bullies were also. That is liberal thought for you. If *I* made the laws, I would simply say "We have laws against assault, battery, unjust imprisonment! FORGET racism, FORGET minors, etc.... Kids would be subject to the SAME laws/punishment/enforcement." I would then say that "any policeman, teacher, etc... caught not enforcing the law will be FIRED!" I bet things would change QUICK! BTW it is IRONIC that teachers are required by law(but still not really enforced) to report SUSPECTED parental abuse. Yet they don't even think about abuse by other minors!

Anyway, you mention that THIS might be your last year in "special ed". Good luck. Eventually, you may be bullied. My last bully was in the 12th grade, so you still have time. Oddly, a trouble maker in highschool wanted to be my friend in college as a freshman, so maybe there is more hope there!

TobyZ
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2009, 6:30 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Eventually, you may be bullied. My last bully was in the 12th grade, so you still have time. Oddly, a trouble maker in highschool wanted to be my friend in college as a freshman, so maybe there is more hope there!

Oh yha, i was bullied as late as 16 and 17. I had a car and woke up one morning to have women's mentrual pads (new, not used :) ) glued all over my car. I also at like 15 had some bully call 911 on my house and report a fire. These were obvious ones my parents could see, the less obvious at school.

I wasn't one to fight back, I internalized it like a strong man should... which just made more behavioral problems ;)

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2009, 6:46 pm

I was bullied in secondary school. After they turn thirteen, they turn wicked with hormones and the new teenage social dynamic.

They only quit when I nearly ripped the hair clean out of one girls head outside of school. They were s**t scared of me after that. :twisted:

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2009, 6:59 pm

TobyZ wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
Eventually, you may be bullied. My last bully was in the 12th grade, so you still have time. Oddly, a trouble maker in highschool wanted to be my friend in college as a freshman, so maybe there is more hope there!

Oh yha, i was bullied as late as 16 and 17. I had a car and woke up one morning to have women's mentrual pads (new, not used :) ) glued all over my car. I also at like 15 had some bully call 911 on my house and report a fire. These were obvious ones my parents could see, the less obvious at school.

I wasn't one to fight back, I internalized it like a strong man should... which just made more behavioral problems ;)

And the BAD part is that such a thing (like the menstrual pads) can encourage MORE attacks, etc... The SAD part is that one bully, that was probably scared when he found out that he and I were about equal(same size arms and same weight), one time failed to meet at a place he told me to be at for a fight. I mentioned to him, in front of others, that I was there, and he wasn't. I basically said "What happened?" Well, he never bugged me again. Another time, I got real upset, and hit a guy in the chest. He had a THICK coat on, and moved, and I didn't exactly throw everything in it, so he didn't get hurt. STILL, HE never bugged me again. Of course, OTHERS were not so easily stopped. Still, it almost makes me wish that I attacked them all. In 11th grade one IDIOT actually DARED to claim, to a school official no less, that he was TRYING TO HELP ME by trying to get me to fight back! SERIOUSLY! Can you imagine that? If I were that official, I would have said "OK, PACK YOUR BAGS! You're leaving!! !! !!"! That "official" didn't seem to care though! BTW That was a private school.

Pogue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2009, 4:09 pm

I was bullied in junior high school. I was basically the lowest possible man on the totem pole. I simply had not made any friends in elementary so I had no pack. But in HS we moved so I was completely unknown, which I actually liked. I probably said less than 100 words for the entire four years. Though I did make some friends, I wouldnt say much at school. I was content to be invisible, it was heaven.

In HS, as an invisible, I could see other kids getting it from a distance but nobody knew me so they stuck with their long-established targets. I felt bad for those kids but also fully enjoyed my status as an invisible. From a distance, it didnt even seem like it was so bad for them but those things are hard to read.

At some point, I learned to present myself as someone who was vaguely threatening. Now that I'm older, it's something I'm unlearning and trying to stop myself from doing as older adults are never bothered by anyone and it's simply an uncharismatic liability. Sometimes I'll still catch myself glowering at the checkout person in the supermarket. heh.

When I was in college I started to wonder if it hadnt been as bad as I remembered and then one day I bumped into a guy I knew from childhood. Maybe the second thing out his mouth was, "kids can be cruel". And I thought, s***, it really was that bad. lol.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 4:34 pm

nothingunusual wrote:
I was bullied in secondary school. After they turn thirteen, they turn wicked with hormones and the new teenage social dynamic.

They only quit when I nearly ripped the hair clean out of one girls head outside of school. They were sh** scared of me after that. :twisted:

More interestingly, how did you get away with it?