Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Eekee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2009, 11:19 am

We're still waiting on an official diagnosis for my son Christopher (aka CME.) His developmental pediatrician gave forms for his teacher and us to fill out evaluating for autism and Asperger's. I haven't seen the teacher's form, but according to my husband's and my form, he's just barely above the borderline into the spectrum.

We've also seen an SLP and discovered that he seems to have some receptive language problems, maybe an auditory processing disorder of some sort. We don't have the full report.

I guess the dev. ped. will get all these reports and forms and come to a diagnosis soon. Our next appointment is in June, but she said she'd contact us by phone sooner.

I also just took the paperwork into our school's special services department to see what we'd need to do to have CME ready for first grade next year. Right now, he's attending Kindergarten at a private Christian school, which we love, but we're not sure (and they're not sure) if they'll be able to do enough for him in 1st grade. So, we're keeping our options open.

He's been doing very well at school. At home he does well, too, aside from his little brother bushing his buttons. That happens a lot! The SLP has also evaluated our younger son, Matthew, and wants us to get him evaluated for sensory integration disorder at the same place CME goes. I've thought for a while that he was just mimicking his big brother's behaviors, but it's looking more like they are his own behaviors.

So we've been busy. I'm looking forward to an official diagnosis, so that we can move forward with the proper help, and figure out what school will be best for CME.

Just updating and looking for advice from those of you who've been there! I think we have the bases covered for now, but I'm always open to ideas.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 12:19 pm

It sounds like you have the bases covered, which is good.

I can't remember if your son is one of those with writing problems? If so, I would see if you can get some exercises to do at home daily. This is the one thing that never really improved with my son, and constitutes a real handicap. If working harder earlier could have helped things, I'll never know, but if I go go backwards that is probably the one thing I would do.

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2009, 1:41 pm

Well writing practice improved me from illegible to barely legible, but ask if you can take exams on computers, my school let me and a few others, really really helpful :)

Eekee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2009, 1:43 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. He does have some handwriting problems. I think it's more of a motor issue than anything else, as he is getting better as the year goes on. He's in the sloppy but average Kindergarten range, I think. We will definitely work on it over the summer so we don't lose any progress he's made.

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 1:50 pm

well, the hand writing is common in us aspies, along with fine motor control. Thankfully, most schools are shifting to typing up reports.