Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Impressionist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Apr 2009, 3:03 pm

Hala wrote:
When I was younger I always thought that by the time I was this age I wouldn't find it so hard, but if anything it's just got more prominent over the years to the point that I don't even bother trying to connect with people any more. I'll talk if someone talks to me because I hate to be rude but the conversation never lasts long, however hard I try.

Pretty much the same thing here, it's been with me ever since I was a child. Although I have not been officially diagnosed, I'm absolutely sure I have Social Anxiety Disorder; it would explain the increase in pulse, my mind rushing to the point of dizziness sometimes, shaking, stomach aches and a driving need to get [/i]out[i] of certain situations. It can get absolutely unbearable at places like parties (which I have ceased attending altogether) and even introducing myself and going to say hi. Group conversations get really uncomfortable for me too. And similarly, I won't ignore people who try to talk to me but sometimes, especially with intimidating sort of people, it gets to be too much. However, I find that my conversational skills and general ability to cope with socializing do far better while communicating over the Internet.

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 8:07 am

Is social anxiety disorder the same as panic disorder with agoraphobia? IF so , I have it.

kchikage
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 May 2009, 9:03 am

I am not sure I have it or not. I feel scared when I am in a place I am not familiar with alone, my heartbeat accelerate. I don't dare to move or talk to anyone.

But when in some situation, where I must act upon something, I can calm myself and complete that task calmly. Because I told myself that it is needed to be done.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 10:56 am

Social phobia/anxiety disorder is described as an intense, irrational and persistent fear of being scrutinized or negatively evaluated by others.

Here are the DSM IV diagnostic criteria for it:

A. A marked and persistent fear of one or more social or performance situations in which the person is exposed to unfamiliar people or to possible scrutiny by others. The individual fears that he or she will act in a way (or show anxiety symptoms) that will be humiliating or embarrassing. note: In children, there must be evidence of the capacity for age-appropriate social relationships with familiar people and the anxiety must occur in peer settings, not just in interactions with adults.

B. Exposure to the feared social situation almost invariably provokes anxiety, which may take the form of a situationally bound or situationally predisposed panic attack. note: In children, the anxiety may be expressed by crying, tantrums, freezing, or shrinking from social situations with unfamiliar people.

C. The person recognizes that the fear is excessive or unreasonable. NOTE: In children, this feature may be absent.

D. The feared social or performance situations are avoided or else are endured with intense anxiety or distress.

E. The avoidance, anxious anticipation, or distress in the feared social or performance situation(s) interferes significantly with the person's normal routine, occupational (academic) functioning or social activities or relationships, or there is marked distress about having the phobia.

F. In individuals under 18 years of age, the duration is at least six months.

G. The fear or avoidance is not due to the direct physiologic effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition and is not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g., panic disorder with or without agoraphobia, separation anxiety disorder, body dysmorphic disorder, a pervasive developmental disorder or schizoid personality disorder).

H. If a general medical condition or another mental disorder is present, the fear in Criterion A is unrelated to it; (e.g., the fear is not of stuttering, trembling in Parkinson's disease or exhibiting abnormal eating behavior in anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa.)

Specify if:
Generalized: if the fears include most social situations (also consider the additional diagnosis of avoidant personality disorder).

misswoofalot wrote:
Is social anxiety disorder the same as panic disorder with agoraphobia? IF so , I have it.

No, they have distinct definitions. There's an article explaining the differences between them here.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 4:46 pm

Both my mom and I believe that I met the criteria for Social Anxiety from the ages of 8-17ish.

Most of my anxiety revolved around approaching people, even people I knew very well. When I tried to do it, I got so paralyzed that I stuttered, shook, and couldn't say anything.
I couldn't ask for help, use the phone or even order food from a restaurant! It was getting to the point where it was really interfering with my ability to function (troubles at school, zero social life etc.).

My grade six teacher helped me out somewhat by giving me a script to read over the telephone where I would note the people in my class who were absent each day . I also joined a youth group in high school where I could socialize with people at my then social functioning level (read: developmentally delayed). Now I have no problems in this area and can approach people confidently. :D

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 9:07 pm

That sounds rough, it's hard enough being social when you're an Aspie, but to get those symptoms as well must be tough.

I believe I have GAD, even though the doctor said I had Anxiety NOS (Maybe the fact that I didn't completely tell him everything might have contributed to this :oops:) I just get so nervous about everything, especially school, and I'm always worried that something is going to happen to me, like getting killed, getting burned in a fire, losing my pets in a fire, getting shot down, getting bombed, etc (the list goes on for a while). I just watch people and worry that they're going to be the one's to kill me or worse.