Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 6:21 pm

She is so wonderful (age 12)! These are my new neighbors I mentioned before. I was talking to her mom about the high correlations of families with ADHD and Autism (they are an ADHD family with one child who has ADHD and the other who has Aspergers and ADHD). This girls said, "Cool, did you say Autism - that is me, that is what I have!" She smiled and had Autism-pride. It was quite neat to see. I told her that my son also has a form of Autism. She said, "Oh, cool." LOL

I was talking to her mom about her child's height. She told me that her child had a bone density test and is now on hormone growth treatment. My son, age five, hasn't gained one pound for over 8 months and hasn't grown at all in one year. He weighs 33 pounds still. He will probably get one of those tests as well. If he also has the same issue, I wonder if there is some correlation with that as well - at least for some individuals.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 9:17 pm

:D

Good to have such great neighbors.

Interesting about size - both my kids are small. But not all the other spectrum kids I know are. Depends on the parent's size. No one has ever suggested hormones for my son or daughter, although my daugher especially would be a candidate, but I think that having a pediatrician who stands all of 5'6" and is proud of it may be a factor;)

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 10:27 pm

*I*'m average size, in fact, supposedly over average. I haven't heard of any correlation. I WILL say that I was a VERY picky eater, and apparently a lot of autistics, AS people are. That COULD conceivably limit growth. Have you checked with the doctor about "up your mass"? BTW I think the cookies and cream is the best. If nothing else, that would give him a good chance to get stronger, and would get rid of deficiencies.

As for the family, that is NEAT! She knows she is different, knows it is autism, and is happy because now she knows that YOU know the truth, etc.... I can certainly understand that.

A 5yo male is supposedly 3'6"

DW_a_mom,

The average male is supposedly only 5'7", though one site says 5'9", so he isn't that short. I am 6'1". BTW the average woman is supposed to be about 5'3" or 5'4".

Apparently a 12yo girl should be about 4'10"

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 8:17 pm

I love my neighbors. We get a long so well. I love the girl who has AS. She is very comfortable with who she is. The parents have helped her with this. Since they both have ADHD, they completely understand. They are all accepting of who they are and don't change who they are for society. I couldn't ask for better neighbors (although I can't stand their dogs).

Nate does need a new doctor. His previous doctor sucks. He argued with me for a while about his original dx. Since that time, Nate has also been dx by a neuropsych and a clinical psych. He still is pigheaded about the whole thing and states Nate is ADHD only. Good grief. The guy needs some training and needs to know his place. I have some recommendations to doctors that work well with kids on the spectrum and fully understand sensory issues. I really need a kick in the butt to call this person tomorrow.

I have a good physicians assistant but last time Nate saw him, Nate flipped the lever on his chair which made him go down. nate was just curious about the mechanism. He thought I had no control over my child and then stated my child was ADHD (he is not, I am). He was thinking genetics. My son was just curious about the mechanism, that's it. I thought it was actually pretty funny - I tried not to laugh. I don't think it would be a good idea to send Nate there again.

I will definitely ask about that weight gain stuff. I am going to order some for myself and let you know what I think. I need some serious weight gainer! If I lose anymore weight, I will float away with the slightest breeze LOL

It is probably a food sensory issue. I bet that is it. It also takes him forever to eat food and sometimes the school doesn't give him the time he needs. I will probably have to go with a weight gainer.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 9:00 pm

natesmom wrote:
I have a good physicians assistant but last time Nate saw him, Nate flipped the lever on his chair which made him go down. nate was just curious about the mechanism. He thought I had no control over my child and then stated my child was ADHD (he is not, I am). He was thinking genetics. My son was just curious about the mechanism, that's it. I thought it was actually pretty funny - I tried not to laugh. I don't think it would be a good idea to send Nate there again.

OK, I used to think ALL boys were like this, but I guess they aren't. I will NEVER forget this! It happened about 41 years ago! I was a little kid, and I belieeve it was at ohrbachs. Well, I was just a LITTLE kid, and I was curious about a button on an escalator, so I pressed it! It STOPPED! A man on the top started yelling at me. 8-( HEY, I turned it back on! 8-) Yeah, I was one of those kids that ALWAYS had to press buttons.

I used my first lathe when I was perhaps 6. A friend showed me his machine shop, with these machines where you put steel rod in one end, and it spit parts out the other side(It cut the rod, shapped the parts, drilled holes, threaded some, knurled parts, etc....), and I thought it was the neatest thing.

But HEY, if some kook wasn't curious about an odd machine called the human body, that doctor wouldn't even have a job! Curiousity is responsible for this world being as it is. If not for that, we would have lived to be a few years old, IF we were lucky, and probably died out as a race.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 9:10 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:

But HEY, if some kook wasn't curious about an odd machine called the human body, that doctor wouldn't even have a job! Curiousity is responsible for this world being as it is. If not for that, we would have lived to be a few years old, IF we were lucky, and probably died out as a race.
This is so great. I love it! Thank you

Nate is so much like that with buttons.
Nate almost did that once with an elevator. I stopped him just in time. He still seems curious about that button.

Our neighbor across the street has a lathe. She wants to show us sometime. I should take Nate this weekend to check it out!

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 9:26 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:

This is so great. I love it! Thank you

Nate is so much like that with buttons.
Nate almost did that once with an elevator. I stopped him just in time. He still seems curious about that button.

Our neighbor across the street has a lathe. She wants to show us sometime. I should take Nate this weekend to check it out!