Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Tragedyanne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2009, 6:19 pm

I'm doing an assignment in history where I need to make a mask of any Egyptian God. I'm having trouble finding one that interests me, as well as one that is original.

I'd like to do one that's based off of an animal, if possible, but the Gods that I'm finding are all based on the same basic animals-- either cats, birds, or jackyls most commonly.

I figure there has to be someone who has an interest in Gods, or at least who knows more than I do on this. Any suggestions on interesting (as well as somewhat obscure-no Anubis) Egyptian Gods to cover?

Thanks! :D

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 7:19 pm

Osiris the God of the Afterlife could be your project.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 7:40 pm

I don't know much about them, so I may be unhelpful, but what about Sobek or Ammit? Both have crocodile heads (I take it that the list of animals you put is a list of those you don't want to do?). Ammit isn't really a god though, but is a supernatural thing, so might be valid. Sobek is the god of crocodiles.

There's a page on Wikipedia with a list of Egyptian gods, although you may already have looked at it.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 8:30 pm

Well, what animal do you want to do? Maybe we can find the god that has the head of that animal, or something like it...

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 1:26 am

Not sure what you mean by animals but not those kind.

Maybe mixed animals or reptile-like?

There is Ra-Horakhty the god of the rising sun with the head of a hawk and the body of a human.

There is Khnum who was a creator god that made people from clay.

There is the snake Goddess, Edjo of Buto protector of egypt.

There is Tawaret the goddess of pregnancy and child birth with the head of a hippopotamus and body of other animal parts....I've always been rather fascinated by her.

There is Sobek who was a nile god with the head of a crocodile.

Perhaps you might get something out of this site?

http://www.touregypt.net/godsofegypt/

As for masks of gods, do they have to be male or can they also be female and do you mean figure heads or mummy masks?

Here's a link for funerary masks..

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/masks.htm

Here are some figures...

http://www.rainbowcrystal.com/atext/egypt13.html