Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

WilsonFisk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jan 2006, 3:38 pm

What constitutes maturity?
and
Are aspies likely to be perceived as immature when they are not?

I look forward to your replies.

COULD PEOPLE WHO DO REPLY PLEASE SAY AT THE BEGINNING WHETHER PEOPLE CONSIDER YOU MATURE OR NOT IF YOU KNOW. DO YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF MATURE?

before you post you may want to read up a little about the subject. Here is an interesting paper

Last edited by WilsonFisk on 08 Jan 2006, 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2006, 3:45 pm

Good question...

thepeaguy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2006, 3:48 pm

It's all down to a matter of personal preference.

If was about to say, "Ugagagagboogah!" for no apparent reason, the sane person would regard me as immature while the insane would regard me as too mature to be immature or something.

wandrew
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2006, 4:06 pm

"Maturity is for people who can't handle immaturity."

Seriously, I've always thought the consensual or collective conscious definition of maturity isn't worth the candle. It's like wearing a straitjacket all day long, even in your sleep. The rule I'm working to live by is this: "Do what needs doing, but only what you feel like doing." Which, in my mind, is a corollary to Aleister Crowley's "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law." Anyone who really understands this knows that Crowley wasn't saying you can do anything you want and get away with it. "Do what thou wilt," yes, but that also implies responsibility for one's actions. Dr. Viktor Frankl, the eminently respected psychologist who survived the Holocaust, once wrote that he thought there should be a Statue of Responsibility on the West Coast as a kind of spiritual balance to the Statue of Liberty on the East Coast.

I think everyone needs to come up with their own definition of maturity, and by that I mean their own system of ethics--rights and responsibilities. Then do what is necessary to live up to that code--whatever will build your self-esteem, self-confidence and self-love. Therein lies the path to self-reliance, resiliency and true happiness.

Perhaps Rabbi Hillel put it best:

"If I am not for myself,
who am I for?
If I am not for others,
who am I?"

WilsonFisk

08 Jan 2006, 5:21 pm

Alaistar Crowley? You take that nutter seriously?

Quote:
I think everyone needs to come up with their own definition of maturity, and by that I mean their own system of ethics--rights and responsibilities.

From the introspective viewpoint I will agree. But I think how we are percieved and judged by others is more important than how you feel about yourself, and that evalutations by others do shape our internal psychology.

hermit
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2006, 5:30 pm

pad wrote:
Good question...

...am awaiting a good reply!

I'd say AS get's labeled that way. I know people underestimate me constantly. My newest doctor couldn't take it... she ended up speaking loud, slow, with a lot of gestures and pointing.

I found it funny. I'm smarter than she is and could get her to diagnose me with anything I felt like, if I wanted to that is.
Maybe not so much immature as 'weirdos' though.

Maturity itself is relative. You will mature until you die. At some point of collective experience your mind may think it is mature, but it could be wrong. When I was 24 I thought I was mature. Now I think I'm getting there.

It's a state of mind where one believes they know themselves and their place.
The validity of such maturity is reflected in how others perceive you.
Others perceive you the way you exist to them, which is a projection of yourself.
If your state of mind and your projection agree, you may be mature.

hermit
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2006, 5:33 pm

thepeaguy wrote:
If was about to say, "Ugagagagboogah!" for no apparent reason...

I wouldn't judge you either way, be too busy laughing....

SuXEed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jan 2006, 6:33 pm

I'm actually overly mature for my age, everyone seems to agree. Maybe it's just because I'm formal and not too impulsive

thepeaguy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2006, 6:40 pm

hermit wrote:
thepeaguy wrote:
If was about to say, "Ugagagagboogah!" for no apparent reason...

I wouldn't judge you either way, be too busy laughing....

You're a mean hermit.

How will I ever get out of bed tomorrow? :(

Oh wait... I'll just simply make a thread saying how positive autistics suck a$$ tomorrow morning. Yes! That will get you all on a down! Mwahahahahas!

I'm done.

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2006, 8:21 pm

thepeaguy wrote:
You're a mean hermit.

How will I ever get out of bed tomorrow? :(

Oh wait... I'll just simply make a thread saying how positive autistics suck a$$ tomorrow morning. Yes! That will get you all on a down! Mwahahahahas!

I'm done.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hermit
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2006, 8:34 pm

thepeaguy wrote:
You're a mean hermit.

(rest of joke? deleted)

Can't tell if this part was serious- I see the rest is a crack at the other thread- but I need to say:

No. You took it wrong. The only possible explanation I can come up with, if it did offend you, is that you DO

say "Ugagagagboogah!" uncontrollably. I'm sorry, then.

Otherwise, ?

thepeaguy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2006, 8:56 pm

hermit wrote:
thepeaguy wrote:
You're a mean hermit.

(rest of joke? deleted)

Can't tell if this part was serious- I see the rest is a crack at the other thread- but I need to say:

No. You took it wrong. The only possible explanation I can come up with, if it did offend you, is that you DO

say "Ugagagagboogah!" uncontrollably. I'm sorry, then.

Otherwise, ?

I was joking, of course.

Keep your apologies for someone who deserves them.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2006, 10:09 pm

People think that I am immature because I tend not to really care about authority to some extent. Many of the supposedly mature people at my age are simply those who take things too seriously and often can't take little joking insults. I consider myself mature because I am willing to work hard to achieve an objective and because I make many of my important decisions based upon what I think to be practical and not what is viewed by the majority as being normal. I also tend to respect many rules and laws when my friends tend to be less rigid about such things.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2006, 10:19 pm

Back in my high school days, I used to think I was smarter and more mature than most of my peers.

But now, in college, the tables have turned.

Maybe I just had a mental growth spurt when I went through puberty, and then everyone else gradually grew mentally until they eventually exceeded me. :D

Seriously though, and I'm sorry to use a cliche, but I guess I went from being the big fish in the little pond, to being - well, you know.