Is anyone else Worried about "Swine Flue"?

Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 11:15 am

Well , considering that I have a weakened imune system and so seem to catch everything that is going ... YES ! !

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 11:20 am

Nah, I don't listen to the media. If it starts killing people in my neighborhood and I catch it... then I might start to worry a bit :P

Why worry about something you can't control and may never catch??

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 1:57 pm

I was a little bit worried the last time we had the mad cow disease outbreak (mostly because I had just read John Titor), and a tiny bit worried about the bird flu, but...meh.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 2:32 pm

I'm not as worried now. I have an immune system of steal anyway, when ever there's bugs going around the school or in my family home I never catch it.

ALacount
Toucan
Toucan

27 Apr 2009, 3:05 pm

I'v done some more research, it's in UK (Scotland) And it's got a 2% mortality rate. Unfortunatly, I live across the rode from a farm, theres 3 farmers in my class at school. And I live in the country side.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 3:23 pm

is there any shots for it? even finland is hell lot away im not taking any chances these news always get me stuttering :(

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 3:34 pm

Flue is a virus that in some rare cases kills people who are not even immunocompromised. Swine flu is the same thing, except it kills a larger percentage of people who are affected. Most of us will be fine, however, a small number of us with strong immune systems may die from the flu virus just because the virus is the right fit for us.

To minimize your risk for getting the swine flu:

1) wash your hands
2) wash your hands before you eat
3) don't eat with your hands
4) don't touch your face with your hands
5) if someone is coughing around you hold your breath and get away from them
6) don't eat out in a restaurant or anywhere where food is prepared by a person for you
7) if you go to a hospital, ask for an n95 mask and wear it at all times. doctors, nurses, and all other healthcarea workers go to work at the hospital even if they are sick, often doctors are seen sneezing during patient rounds, wiping their runny noses with their hands, and not washing their hands after using a nose tissue. Best thing is to wear a mask yourself at all times and not shake hands with anyone at the hospital, not even the doctor. sounds crazy and weird, but it makes sense folks.
8) also in the hospital, the food they bring you might be contaminated with flu, so eat only peelable, openable food in containers and best if you get your food from home.
9) keep 3ft away from people to isolate yourself from droplet transmission

hopes this helps and hope it does not sound too crazy.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 3:36 pm

P.S. the U.S. is stockpiling Tami Flu - a useless drug that does not anything. It's supposed to fight the flu virus and prevent you from getting sick, but by the time you get the symptoms, it's too late for the drug to have any effect. I recommend that all of us take one daily multivitamin a day.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 3:47 pm

Followthereaper90 wrote:
is there any shots for it? even finland is hell lot away im not taking any chances these news always get me stuttering :(

Awwww, you'll be find!

Sometimes the media exaggerates these things so I wouldn't take it too serious.

Just do what LS2 listed, you're hygiene is one thing you should really worry about.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 4:28 pm

Quote:
Is anyone else Worried about "Swine Flue"?

Not in the slightest. I suppose it's just my pessimistic view on the world and on life, but it surprises me that everyone is so concerned about it. To be completely honest, I think humans are long overdue being wiped off the face of the planet and I honestly don't care what happens with this.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 7:04 pm

I'm a little worried. The weird thing is, it has a much worse effect on people with healthy immune systems- if you have a healthy immune system, it sets off a storm in it, and some people can die. But screw it, if the lord calls, the lord calls.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

27 Apr 2009, 11:08 pm

Yes, I'm worried. After collecting food supplies today I had to go to the doctors to get a vaccine...nothing to do with swine flu or even the regular flu. However in the waiting room there was this lady who I overheard saying she was going to the hospital because her flu symptoms were 'feeling like death'. Then this man walked into the room, sat down & started coughing without covering his mouth. I tried to use my jacket sleeve as a surgical mask until my name was called.

Even though it hasn't been confirmed in NZ, I don't want to die from this virus. :(

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 11:20 pm

Not worried about it.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 7:15 am

We should all be worried. VERY VERY WORRIED!! !

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 7:58 am

sbcmetroguy wrote:
humans are long overdue being wiped off the face of the planet

Yeah, pretty much. Pandemics and such are just part of Nature's way of keeping the balance. Humans have become too much of a burden on limited natural resources, so Nature must reduce our numbers. Simple. I volunteer to go, if need be.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:00 am

I'm terrified to the point of tears. It hasn't caused death outside of Mexico though but "in Mexico" it has killed the young and healthy. The news is saying that it got it's start with a 4-year old close to a pig farm. If I die, there's not much I could do about it but I can't go on without my husband and kids. My eldest son just came back from Iraq alive. I "can't" lose him in this way. I don't think I could take it. The thought that the SARZ virus was controlled gives me some relief but I worry about illegal aliens coming over the border from Mexico to the U.S. They are too poor and freightened to seek medical help if they turn out to be sick. They'll go in to hiding and spread it. Now, on a different news broadcast, it was said that this strain of swine flu which visited before in 1976 is different in that it is a combo of bird/swine/human. (?) I didn't hear that bit of news again. But when I heard that, it made me think of human experimentation with germ warfare. Do you know what I mean? Where it kills at it's hub of attack and then mutates to where nobody else dies who is further away. They'll get sick but they won't die. When I first heard the news report, I thought it was from a sci-fi show or something until my son told me me it was for real. My stomach sunk because I thought I would be dupped by some horrow TV show like I was once before...but it was...real. I'm crying now just thinking about it. When SARZ was in China, I was less afraid maybe because China seemed so far away and Mexico is close to the U.S. Not so long ago, the actual "plague" was in India and it was presumably contained and never shown on the news again.