Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 10:17 pm

Why am I still so into video games? I thought I was supposed to outgrow this?!? Is this related to AS? Or am I just a hopeless 'escapist'? Jeez.

30 Apr 2009, 11:01 pm

There is nothing wrong with video games. They are for all ages.

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2009, 11:24 pm

what effect are you supposing that size should have?

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 11:37 pm

Last year, my boss at quizno's told me I was weird for liking video games and being 30

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 1:51 am

Shayne wrote:
what effect are you supposing that size should have?

Great response. Well, if I went crazy on the chips I might get too big to hold the controller I s'pose :lol:

[quote= ScottF]Last year, my boss at quizno's told me I was weird for liking video games and being 30[/quote]

Well, now you can tell him you know someone who likes video games at 40! I suppose that makes me 1.33 times as weird... Och! Quiznos! Now I have that dang song playing in my head accompanied by those singing Spongmonkeys from rathergood.

"We love the subs
'cuz they are good to us
Those quiznos subs
One of the seven wonders of the world
Just like the pyramids or Loch Ness"

That'll be stuck there for at least two days now...

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 6:31 am

Why not? Killing virtual zombies is good for the soul! (And good practice, because ...you never know).

I'd rather play Zombie mod than be stuck at a BBQ with my 'peers' and talk about property taxes and how their kid made honor roll/was sentenced to rehab, and watch people subtly compare jobs, cars, houses, money, to see who has the most 'impressive' life by the usual boring standards.

(Ok, not everyone is like that, admittedly. I just don't see what folks my age who 'outgrow' it are doing in it's place that's so superior.)

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 10:06 am

ViperaAspis wrote:
Why am I still so into video games? I thought I was supposed to outgrow this?!? Is this related to AS? Or am I just a hopeless 'escapist'? Jeez.

Belive me, it is not an AS vs NT thing, i know several people well into their 40's that still play games. It is not a geeky childish thing anymore, it is an accepted pasttime.

People just dont get their kicks from linear "please-feed-my-brain-with-crap-while-i-sit-here-in-the-sofa-watching-sports" anymore. the TV is dying. In the 90s it began to spontaneously get small sores, it is currently hemoraging and i predict beyond 2010 it will start to take a serious fall.

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2009, 6:52 pm

There are plenty of adults who play video games. I, for one, would rather play video games than watch football.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 7:02 pm

My Partner who is 51 and NT is into video games. He is a nerd, but does not have an ASD. Videogames can be fun.

Slipperman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2009, 9:39 pm

I'm almost 30 and I'm a huge video-game geek.

I guess some of the reasons why I still play them is for escape, and also because I don't have a girlfriend to spend time with :cry: and I can't find anything better to do for fun than to play my games, listen to music and hang around on the Internet...

Tim (aka the Slipperman)

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 May 2009, 9:46 pm

ScottF wrote:
Last year, my boss at quizno's told me I was weird for liking video games and being 30

I would have told him to go f**k himself and quit.

The former things have passed away."

Asuigeneris1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 May 2009, 5:34 am

Video games seem to be a place for my boyfriend to escape to and focus on...focus isn't always easy for him. I tried playing them myself to see if it would bring us together more, but it hasn't worked really...just made me addicted to the escapism it provides too. :roll:

I am currently in the weaning process which sucks...it's like pulling out a morphine drip. QQ

mlqqeae

06 May 2009, 4:51 am

Games are like stories, but more. So, why not ask yourself. Why do I like reading stories?
Only games are the next generation of books and movies. They place you in the perspectives. It lets you feel and experience it for yourself. They are filled with beautiful artwork as well. They relieve stress.

Why? Because they are just plain fun.

I know a lot of older people who play them. Including some INCREDIBLY OLD PEOPLE! Know of that 80 year old woman who plays the most advanced and complicated RPG's? XD

Rok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 May 2009, 11:36 pm

[quote="kxmode]I would have told him to go f**k himself and quit.[/quote]

lol just to go home and play more video games.

Rok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 May 2009, 11:36 pm

kxmode wrote:
I would have told him to go f**k himself and quit.

lol just to go home and play more video games.

ihitterdal
Toucan
Toucan

08 May 2009, 6:24 pm

ScottF wrote:

To paraphrase Yahtzee: "As the exacerbated chinese zoo keeper said to the last male panda, SCREW THAT!"

Anyway, I suppose that it's often due to having a world of your own that you can mess around in with few or no ill effects in reality. Just look at Fallout 3. I play that all the time due to one thing: It's my own personal playground. If I screw up, I can go back and fix it or keep it and watch the fun. I'm nowhere near 30, but when I am, I'll probably be playing whatever Valve or Bethesda (if they are still remaining) or any new excellent company puts out just as much as I do today.