Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Whatsherhame
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2009, 8:51 am

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of books about autism(or with autistic people as the main characters) have some odd metaphor that has to do with a autism as the title?

Example:

'Look me in the eyes', 'Louder than words', 'Nobody nowhere', etc.

Is this just for dramatic effect, or do they have to make books having to do with autism 'more special' for some reason? Is it by accident?
I've noticed similar phenomenon in books having to do with Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Depression, and everything from MR to dyslexia.

What are your thoughts on this? (And please don't burn me for having Jenny McCarthy's book in here, It was just one of the ones that came to mind. In know way do I support her or her cause.:oops:)

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2009, 9:00 am

I find that books, in general, tend to have creative names. If I were going to write an autobiography about my life with AS I certainly wouldn't call it "My Life With AS". I would be more inclined to give it a name that had some meaning to me, personally. It would be about "me" and "my life" afterall..... John Elder Robison titled his book "Look me in the eyes" because this was a characteristic that he heavily related to. He states in his book that he heard it repetedly throughout his life before learning about AS. It seems like a fitting title after reading his book.

VERY good read, by the way! :wink: