What separates an NT Obsession from an AS obsession?

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 9:13 pm

AmberEyes wrote:
When I have a hobby or interest, I tend to think about it on my own terms and decide to do it alone.

I don't tend to do it because everyone else is doing it or I've been recommended it by other people.

I focus in on an interesting object associated with the activity and think:
"That's nice, I might try that." and take it from there.

Most other people seem to want to join groups and "crazes" not to feel left out.

I don't.
I tend to do more solitary things that don't require many people.

Also, if my family buy stuff for me.
But there I was in the garden using that stuff on my own.

If I do join a craze, it's usually because I can't buy any other clothes or shoes in my size; items are on special offer; I walked into the shop and found something alone; I listened to the radio/watched TV alone and a sparkly/fascinating gadget appeared on the screen.

I choose what I do.
Other people seem to be compelled by there friends to take part in certain activities and hobbies, or to buy certain things.

I don't see the people and peer pressure surrounding the item.
I just seem to see the item.

I totally hear that. And you know what? I think that also helps us see stuff for what it really is, whereas NTs buy into the glitz and glamour; we go for the substance.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 12:06 pm

Yeah I just feel that nts might be as obsessed as us but overtime they can lose that obsession. We cant. Look at Bill Gates in the book outliers he worked on computers when he was young meaning like 15 for hour upon hour. But now hes retired and doesnt seem to need that obsession. We do though.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 4:00 pm

the difference is that it's not as socially popular. That's the difference. If you're a Sports Otaku or something you get 'slack' or something.

EDIT: and the degree of obsession

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 5:18 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:

I totally hear that. And you know what? I think that also helps us see stuff for what it really is, whereas NTs buy into the glitz and glamour; we go for the substance.

One thing I am trying to do now is to appreciate something's cultural context or historical if I latch onto it. I'm trying to gain a deeper understanding of social context this way. I sometimes feel "culturally blind".

I say this because it's easy for me to lose sight of other people and forget that they exist when I focus on the object. It's very easy for me to forget that books are written by people and pieces of equipment are made by people.

I have the same problem when listening to a song.
I focus on the melody, the rhythm, the message, my personal emotional reaction and the details of the place where I heard it. I seem to forget that a person who recorded the song had a personality, a cultural background and actually existed on planet earth. I don't care what the person looks like, who they are or where they come from as long as the song sounds good.

I just see textures, details and pictures in my minds eye, as if some invisible god or muse was singing, not a mortal and fallible human being.

Maybe it isn't a problem.
I'm hearing the "Isness" of the song relative to my own experiences.
I enjoy that.

MKDP
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2009, 6:42 pm

Answer: EQi

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 10:59 am

I think there's also a social motivation thing going on here.

Perhaps some NTs will only continue with an activity if they believe that it is socially worth their while.

Or there's the element of "I'll do it only if you do it" and "Let's all do it together.".

So if everyone does something, there's kind of a social compulsion to want to join in.

In sometimes do feel that compulsion, but something gets lost in transit. Perhaps I don't pick up the "signal" as strongly or respond to it in the required way. I can't seem to get people to take me seriously enough, they start making assumptions or ignoring me altogether :(.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 11:22 am

I've read people here who claim NTs can't have strong obsessions - that's SO NOT TRUE! Wishful thinking, maybe? People on the spectrum are more likely to be obsessed with something, but that doesn't mean a neurotypical person will never, ever, have an obsession with anything. There's enough people who dedicate their whole lives to ONE cause, to the point where it rules their life, and it would be ridiculous to claim everyone like that is on the spectrum. Difficulties with communication are NOT reqired. :lol:

Another topic here seems to be "social motivation" and special interests that are socially popular. I happen to be obsessed with fashion. (Was in fact proud member of the fashion design club at school.) A very good friend (who is NT, very communicative and social indeed and doesn't show any AS symptoms whatsoever) happens to share the same obsession, to the same degree. We both forget to eat or sleep when we're busy creating something, and in fact it was her who once forgot to visit a toilet in time as well. Not me. :lol: Now where's the difference?
(I'm also obsessed with chess, music and minerals. She's not. But I've also met non-spectrum fanatics of those fields of interest.)

chtucker18
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2009, 11:29 am

i have high functioning autism and do have obsessions

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2009, 12:01 pm

NT obsessions are something socially acceptable, (i.e fashion, medicine) and are often in regards to their job. They're also less strong. They also are aware that people don't really want to know.
Aspie obsessions CAN be socially acceptable(however, the extent of them isn't), and are more a hobby than anything(though can be for an occupation too). They can be unaware that people don't find them as interesting as their self.
^IMO^.
EMZ=]

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 2:02 pm

Emor wrote:
NT obsessions are something socially acceptable, (i.e fashion, medicine) and are often in regards to their job. They're also less strong. They also are aware that people don't really want to know.
Aspie obsessions CAN be socially acceptable(however, the extent of them isn't), and are more a hobby than anything(though can be for an occupation too). They can be unaware that people don't find them as interesting as their self.
^IMO^.
EMZ=]

I think you're generalizing too much here. Aspie obsessions are often with something that doesn't interest the majority of people, but it's rarely something inacceptable. There's still a huge social difference between "a bit weird" (i.e. an unusual interest in the weather) and "completely inacceptable" (i.e. painting the wall with excrements, even which, by the way, will under certain circumstances be considered "art" by some people).
Also, NT obsessions can be just as strong - it's just less likely to occur. NOT impossible. Many NTs have really "weird" hobbies or collect really unusual stuff.
I don't think Aspies are less likely to choose a job that coincides with their special interests either - after all, if there's the possibility, why wouldn't they? I mean, any human being will be glad to have an interesting, fulfilling job. ASD people and NT people are NOT different species!
And don't forget that there are some jobs where dedication to the point of obsession is necessary to be any good at it. Jobs that can't be done half-heartedly. Are there only Aspies doing these jobs? Nope.

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2009, 2:07 pm

What separates an NT Obsession from an AS obsession?

The changing of two letters?

Depends how you define "obsession". And I suppose, when you think about it, it is more acceptable to have an obsession if you have AS, because people accept this as a somewhat "symptom" of your "illness" :roll: If you are NT and have an obsession, people think you need help.

By the way, what does NT stand for? I've already figured out what it means, but I've been too proud 'til now to ask what it actually stands for. It's been driving me crazy.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 3:09 pm

Neurotypical or however you spell it and never be to scared to ask. No question is either dumb or hopefully because alot of us are in the same boat we will not make fun of you just with you if something funny happens.

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2009, 3:15 pm

thewrll wrote:
Neurotypical or however you spell it and never be to scared to ask. No question is either dumb or hopefully because alot of us are in the same boat we will not make fun of you just with you if something funny happens.
Thankyou xD

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 3:43 pm

Kittygirl wrote:
I know that the medical definition of an obsession is any thought or action that threatens a person's ability to act normally due to anxiety. Most NT people think that we are full of anxiety and can't seem to relax. Sometimes that is true, but it's just the way our brains are wired. We have "special interests" They have obsessions.

I like to differentiate between an obsession and a compulsion. In psychiatric terms, they are both 'obsessions', but I describe an obsession as being the (potentially) positive manifestation, and a compulsion the negative manifestation. The compulsions that are found in OCD, for instance, don't bring the sufferer any active pleasure or enjoyment - all they do is remove the anxiety that exists if they are not adhered to. The carrying out of the compulsion simply returns the person to a neutral state. An Aspie-style obsession, however, brings the person happiness, relaxation, excitement or satisfaction when indulged in - it creates a positive state. A compulsion is carried out to remove something (anxiety). An obsession is carried out to add something.

mitharatowen wrote:
TPE2 wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:
Theoretically, a person who has strong obsessions would not be entirely NT, I believe.

I imagine that, in the context, NT means "person without an ASD" (because it is also used in the sense of "person without any kind of mental and/or neurological problem").

No. It doesn't have to be specific to ASD. It's just my impression that a 'person without any kind of mental and/or neurological problem' (if such a person exists) would not be obsessive.

I would like to add a very interesting observation that I've made. My obsessions quite frequently center around movies and TV shows, and so I'm often able to find online fan communities where I can join in and find others who, although mostly non-AS, share my enthusiasm. The higher than average percentage of people on those communities who have some kind of psychological issue - OCD, depression, anxiety, bipolar, eating disorders, histories of abuse - is quite noticeable, and I think adds weight to your suggestion.

My obsessions: I realize better than to simply walk up to someone and begin talking about them, but I will be subconsciously searching, during a conversation, for any excuse to turn it towards the topic; anything I can pick up on, somehow relate to my obsession, and use to feed it in. If it is feeling particularly strong that day, there is almost a need to talk about it, a frustration if I can't. I understand the social structure of conversation in that I know that one needs to find a way to introduce a topic and can't often just begin talking about it out of the blue, but once the topic has been 'appropriately' introduced, I do frequently forget that other people aren't necessarily going to find it interesting.