Page 10 of 10 [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Did you pray that prayer at the bottom of this thread to God?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 85%  85%  [ 33 ]
I have already prayed and accepted Jesus into my Heart and life. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Other 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 39

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 1:34 pm

normally_impaired wrote:
The fatal flaw in Christianity is that no Christian believes that there's any chance that they themselves are going to Hell.

You've never heard a true 'fire, brimstone and hellhounds' sermon then, have you?

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 1:34 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
twoshots wrote:
Oh absolutely there is. As a matter of fact, every single thing that can't make it through peer review is being suppressed by a liberal conspiracy.

It does not really surprise me that someone who believes this

Has issues with Peer Review

However, it really does surprise me that you are making a comment about how different beliefs twoshots may or may not hold associate with his character when you clearly have not read any posts he have ever made here. :cyclopsani:

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 10:32 am

This article seems to indicate that getting to Heaven is the worst thing that can happen to you. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 111402.htm

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 11:04 am

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
RockDrummer616 wrote:
See, this is what makes Christianity such an intolerant religion. We Jews think that not only anyone who is good, but anyone who is sorry for all the wrong they have done in life can have a good afterlife. Christians think you can only go to heaven if you're a Christian too.

RockDrummer616, as a Jew, would you mind giving me your take on a couple of things, please? (If you have one in this instance. I mean, you're coming across as someone fairly knowledgeable about your own faith, so I figured I'd ask.)

One is, what's the Jewish view on 'Original Sin' - do you know if such a concept even exists in Judaism, and if so, is it different from the Christian version? (I'd heard something like the latter, but I've no doubt there are different opinions.)

The other is, what about Hell? I have a fair idea that the term Sheol probably didn't mean what Christians mean by 'Hell', and I'd read that at least according to some scholars, Gehinnom didn't either, but I'd like to know if you know anything on that.

Here's my take on these:

In Judaism, we don't believe in sin at all. The word normally translated as "sin" actually has a meaning closer to "mistake." All of these mistakes can be fixed by acknowledging them, asking for forgiveness from whoever it was done to, and doing whatever you can to help make things better.

From what I've heard, Hell is like a purification chamber after death. Its association with fire was due to the tradition of burning an offering to purify it before it was sacrificed. You would remain there until you were pure enough to move on and someone has said a mourner's prayer for you.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

19 May 2009, 12:58 pm

RockDrummer616 wrote:
ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
RockDrummer616 wrote:
See, this is what makes Christianity such an intolerant religion. We Jews think that not only anyone who is good, but anyone who is sorry for all the wrong they have done in life can have a good afterlife. Christians think you can only go to heaven if you're a Christian too.

RockDrummer616, as a Jew, would you mind giving me your take on a couple of things, please? (If you have one in this instance. I mean, you're coming across as someone fairly knowledgeable about your own faith, so I figured I'd ask.)

One is, what's the Jewish view on 'Original Sin' - do you know if such a concept even exists in Judaism, and if so, is it different from the Christian version? (I'd heard something like the latter, but I've no doubt there are different opinions.)

The other is, what about Hell? I have a fair idea that the term Sheol probably didn't mean what Christians mean by 'Hell', and I'd read that at least according to some scholars, Gehinnom didn't either, but I'd like to know if you know anything on that.

Here's my take on these:

In Judaism, we don't believe in sin at all. The word normally translated as "sin" actually has a meaning closer to "mistake." All of these mistakes can be fixed by acknowledging them, asking for forgiveness from whoever it was done to, and doing whatever you can to help make things better.

From what I've heard, Hell is like a purification chamber after death. Its association with fire was due to the tradition of burning an offering to purify it before it was sacrificed. You would remain there until you were pure enough to move on and someone has said a mourner's prayer for you.

Thank you. Very interesting.

I just thought, bearing in mind Jesus was a Jew, that it's not very often that anyone asks what the Jewish opinion on these subjects actually is or was. Which seems to be missing a whole rather important angle on the subject.