Is it possible for us to have an elderly forum?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 7:35 pm

"You don't stop moving because you get old; you get old because you stop moving."
Pete Seeger was still chopping wood two weeks before he checked out. I've always tried to integrate exercise into my work, but now have to deliberately waste time and energy to stay healthy in retirement. I just got my first bifocals, and am trying to get my teeth fixed.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 12:36 am

I was having a lot of confusion & memory issues. It's complicated, but I now believe stress is a big part of it. I now avoid idiots & hostile people as much as I can. Divorce & becoming a recluse cured a bunch of that.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 2:53 pm

I'd be interested in a Mature Members forum.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 11:44 pm

another necrobump...

my own youth might taint my credibility here.... :) ..... and i didn't know of the situation on this site before the subforum was created, but we do already have an adult-life discussion forum *here*, which i believe was created to suit that purpose.

there's also a chat thread made for that demographic *here*, but i can see it doesn't gather much interest.

admins avoid trying to create new subforums unless they're absolutely, completely necessary and there's nothing already existing to fill the gap. maybe y'all feel differently.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

PineComb
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2017, 9:01 pm

There's a big difference between "adult" and elder or aged. The "not a child" distinction isn't anywhere near helpful once you're over 60. Elders have their own problems even with the general public that wouldn't ever be addressed in a group that includes everyone over 18. We have only a small time left and a lifetime of struggles and for many of us failure with no help for an entire lifetime. It seems to me we are inconsequential even among other autistics. At least we might be allowed a forum where we might help each other struggle to the end. Damn!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 2:29 am

well, there is kids crater, for children...adolescent autism for the older minors and younger adults (my age i'd think), adult autism, which comes off as a much less specific, catch-all grown up forum used mostly for NSFW stuff, and the in-depth adult life discussion forum aimed to those over 30...so in that context, the lack of an "elderly" forum does seem noticeable and curious.

but i was just thinking that if we had gone this long without one, there's probably a good reason for it. though i wouldn't know what it is.

i do think you bring up good points, i see it working out.

also, hello fellow santa barbaran!

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 10:28 am

I am in favor of a forum for the older set, as I am in my late 50s. Another poster suggested calling it the mature forum, but I would like to suggest it be called the "Seasoned Citizen" forum.

I have always felt mentally younger than I am. Unfortunately, due to health issues, I feel physically older than I am. I would prefer a happy medium, but I am stuck with the situation.

I am constantly trying to get to know new TV/movie stars, and other celebrities, while morning the passing of others, many of whom are younger than me when they die.

I do have age-related issues, as do many others, so a forum for the older set would be helpful. :idea:

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 10:41 am

I know a lot about assistive mobility devices.

For instance, I recognize "shopping cart syndrome," in which an elderly person needs a shopping cart to get across the parking lot.

https://houseofcanes.com/
This is a great place to get canes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 12:40 pm

We could informally call it the "lost generations survivors forum"

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 12:58 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
We could informally call it the "lost generations survivors forum"

I like it!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 2:39 pm

One thing that sets older Aspies apart is having lived for so many years with only a dangerous misdiagnosis available if we spoke of our troubles. Even after ASD hit the DSM even though there was not a company poised with a pill for it, I didn't get the news. I was in catch-all recovery groups for dysfunctional families for another decade before I saw Asperger's described while doing a search on my mother's symptoms.
We are among the first people in history to ever see human population triple, and the first to live under the threat of Atomic weapons. We have also seen them become just one of many new threats to the next generation, despite our early idealism. We are all latecomers to computer technology - I'm currently moving a program I wrote in BASIC to a spreadsheet, but have never owned anything wireless, let alone a smart phone.
U.S. members in particular may be worried about their pensions, but we may all find our homes changed beyond recognition while we are getting too feeble to do anything about it. We have built our fortunes on fossil fuel, and now that entire infrastructure needs to be replaced by our heirs to undo the damage it did. This is an unusual legacy to consider. I'm also sure that any institution with elder abuse is particularly dangerous for Aspies.
BTW, I have never owned a TV, and have not kept up with music trends. I prefer my own visions to a music video. There are several names I easily recognize, but have absolutely no idea if it is due to sports, music, acting or just money.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 1:14 pm

I too, favor a forum for older people on the spectrum, but it would be best to call it the Mature forum or the Seasoned Citizen forum, or some other nice name like those. :D

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 1:33 pm

After one old gentleman's wife died, his son convinced him to move to the city where the son was working, so he could help his dad out if necessary. The dad packed what he wanted to keep, and the son found him a new place. Arriving there, he was shocked to see that his son had him sharing rooms with another widower. However, having been in the Army, he figured he could make it work long enough to find a new place by himself, so he was at least polite. The next morning, they got to talking a bit over breakfast, and at least he picked up a lot of useful tips for old men in that city. He went apartment shopping without saying where, and it didn't go well, but coming "home" to dinner was a relief. After about a week, he had forgotten all about the search, and was spending much of his day with his new friend, visiting parks, museums, etc. and solving the world's problems over coffee as they went.
So, seeing his son again on the weekend, he asked how he had come up with a good match. Sonny just mumbled something about a lucky tip and changed the subject. So, getting home, he asked his roommate, and got another brush-off. Finally, after about a month, all three were together, and the son remarked "I think it's time." The other guy nodded happily, fished a want ad that the son had placed under "Accommodations" from his wallet, and passed it over. "Spry, opinionated old codger seeks rooms with same. . ."

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:26 am

Dear_one wrote:
"You don't stop moving because you get old; you get old because you stop moving."
. I've always tried to integrate exercise into my work, but now have to deliberately waste time and energy to stay healthy in retirement.

Age affects your mental age, not your sex habits, that's another off spring conversation for the gerihatric society.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 11:41 am

Empathy wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
. I've always tried to integrate exercise into my work, but now have to deliberately waste time and energy to stay healthy in retirement.

Age affects your mental age, not your sex habits, that's another off spring conversation for the geriatric society.

OK, we are in the minority by this age, but physical changes do reduce the male sex drive, and may eliminate function altogether. There is also a reduced willingness to put up with women's foibles if it won't help our potential offspring. A marriage is more likely to lead to caring for a hopeless case than a growing family. However, life-long learning does help, and I had the best sex of my life after 55.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 8:09 am

Dear_one wrote:

OK, we are in the minority by this age, but physical changes do reduce the male sex drive, and may eliminate function altogether.

In terms of work, how does age affect physical changes, can it promote aggresssion if stratosphered in a male only domnated environment, for instance armed forces or naval driven pursuits.
I find it puts pressure on the female to comply more to signify an interest and enthusiasm in female bodily behavoural patterns.
I think there should just be a swingers retired section and co facilitate arousing female correspondence on the male stereotypical gender, before any tall order chaos from this site issues a fair warning on protocol and presserving societys interests from a harsh wake up call.